early January - Western or Eastern itinerary?

Travelalot2

We have cruised many times but never in early January. Debating between eastern (San Juan, St Thomas and St Maartin) or western (Rotan, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel). Have been to all ports before except Rotan and Costa Maya. Knowing that weather is unpredictable, looking for warmest weather during early January. Also, are Roatan and Costa Maya worth seeing? We love the clear blue water of St Thomas so are debating. Thanks!

Either cruise should have weather warm enough to enjoyably swim - I doubt the difference would be more than a couple of degrees. I have been to all the ports you mention and they all have their pluses and minuses. I personally like to try new ports, so if it were me I would pick the Western for that reason alone. Whether ports are 'worth it' I guess depends in large part on what you are looking for. Neither Costa Maya nor Roatan has the shopping that St. Thomas offers for example, but may compare very favorably if the beach is your thing.

We have cruised many times but never in early January. Debating between eastern (San Juan, St Thomas and St Maartin) or western (Rotan, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel). Have been to all ports before except Rotan and Costa Maya. Knowing that weather is unpredictable, looking for warmest weather during early January. Also, are Roatan and Costa Maya worth seeing? We love the clear blue water of St Thomas so are debating. Thanks!

Hi Travelalot2,

When it comes to weather, there really isn't any differences between all of these Destinations (East or West)... according to TRIPADVISOR and their Destination Guides the January Weather Averages for each location are as follows...

SAN JUAN - HIGH = 27 C - LOW = 21 C (81 F - 70 F)

ST THOMAS - HIGH = 27 C - LOW = 22 C (81 F - 72 F)

ST MAARTEN - HIGH = 27 C - LOW = 22 C (81 F - 72 F)

ROATAN - HIGH = 27 C - LOW = 22 C (81 F - 72 F)

GRAND CAYMAN - HIGH = 26 C - LOW = 22 C (80 F - 72 F)

COZUMEL - HIGH = 26 C - LOW = 20 C (80 F - 68 F)

So really not a lot of difference, and truly quite nice weather for the most part.

:):):)

I say go for the Itinerary, or Ship that you prefer.

Cheers!

We are a little concerned about Costa Maya being a bust. We've been to the ruins before and the pool and shops there don't interest us. Grand Cayman 7 mile beach is always nice. Been to cozumel several times which is "okay"... of all the western ports, Roatan interests us the most becuase we've never been there and reviews are good.

However... there's something about the Eastern caribbean even though we've been there before - the water is so clear and blue!

Archived