cruising with kids

dancrm12000

I am planning a cruise with a 4 and 7 year old with my wife in Early October. Can anyone tell me how many kids I could expect on a trip to the Western Carib. In addition does anybody have any suggestions for a stateroom that sleeps 4?

There will almost always be at least some children on a cruise. The numbers get fewer as the length of cruise increases and ports get more exotic. Assuming that you will be looking at a 7-day cruise, you should be able to find a few playmates even if it is not the high season for family vacations.

It is usually best to book quad cabins early, since there are relatively few of those. You can find quads in inside, outside, and minisuites. They are usually farther forward or aft. That might not be such a big deal in October, but it's best not to leave such things to chance. The minisuites have larger bathrooms with a tub, not just a shower stall, and that might be easier on you in addition to giving you a little more room in your cabin.

Probably not a lot of kids in October. School and all.

I like the mini-suites for a family with smaller kids such as yours. The living/couch area gives you extra room over a standard cabin, the kids have their own space, a separate TV, and you can close off the two areas so Mom and Dad can stay up if the kids go to bed early. Only concern is that the slider to the balcony is in that area, so you may have to think about safety issues and ways to keep it closed and locked.

I second the minisuite idea. Our first cruise was when our boys were 4 and 7. We didn't leave them alone in the room so we never worried about the balcony. The space of a mini is great. As is the tub.

We sailed this past Oct. with our children and were very surprised at the number of children onboard. Many states have fall break at that time. It seems to be the second and third weeks of Oct. but I am not certained about this. I was looking at cruises for next Oct. for a relative and noticed that prices are higher certain weeks which is probably due to these breaks.

Archived