What not to miss in Nassau

dololie

I am not into the beach scene. I live less than a mile from the Atlantic Ocean. I have been to Ripleys Aquarime. Is the Atlantis like that? We are history buffs . Any suggestions would be helpful.

There is plenty of history in Nassau, including 3 forts with cannons intact. There is a guided walking tour which you can pick up at the information booth just outside the port gates, or you can use the tour posted on my website to do it at your own pace.

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/Walkingtour.html

The other forts are located outside of town. The closest is Fort Charlotte, just a few blocks west across the street from Arawak Cay, and the other is Fort Montegue, just a half mile east past the PI Bridge. (you should grab a cab to view this one).

There is also a small pirates museum which might be of interest as well as a slave museum at Vendue House. (not sure if the museum is still open after the fire).

http://www.pirates-of-nassau.com

The Pirates museum is nearby, and practically on the walking tour. As you approach the British Colonial on your tour, look to the right at the Dunkin Donuts (Marlborough and Bay Street). The Pirates museum is just a few steps down that block. And about 3 blocks from the port.

scubagirl - Is the pirate museum in walking distance from the cruise port? Also can you do the walking tour and the museum?

The museum is a little hard to find. Go behind the straw market to the hard rock cafe (no cafe, just a store) and take a right at the next street. The museum will be on the left.

Seems like a round about way to get there.. I don't really follow those directions. (Hard Rock is down by the wharf, Museum is 2 blocks north - parallel to the port)

To get there, walk along the wharf past the straw market to Senor Frogs, make a left and follow the roadway 2 blocks to you see dunkin donuts on the corner. Look to your left, the Museum entrance is just 2 doors down that block on the south side of the block... you can't miss it.

Seems like a round about way to get there.. I don't really follow those directions. (Hard Rock is down by the wharf, Museum is 2 blocks north - parallel to the port)

To get there, walk along the wharf past the straw market to Senor Frogs, make a left and follow the roadway 2 blocks to you see dunkin donuts on the corner. Look to your left, the Museum entrance is just 2 doors down that block on the south side of the block... you can't miss it.

i was there last summer. my memory isn't very good about that place. i know they were doing contraction also when i was there last. have they finished it?

Archived