NCL EPIC TA Oct. 21st, 2012

aireboy

I also love that line about the gentle lion! That could be me! Funnily enough my first girlfriend's mum's name was Dorothy, she was no friend of mine I can tell you...she was more the wicked witch type. That was before I decided to bat for the other team in case you were wondering!

Jason: Your comment "to bat for the other team" conjures up a lot of double entendres that I could write but would probably be flagged! Instead I will just write that I hope you get to put your bat to good use on this cruise!

I wonder if we can get the steward for Jon's cabin to make a flying monkey out of a towel and wash cloths?

John (and Ben...still in Michigan)

I reckon if they gave him a monkey he'd probably spank it :D

Does anybody know which deck they do the batting practice on?

Jason: From checking the NCL site it indicates, "The Sports Complex has not one, but two decks to play on with a full-sized basketball court, batting cage, rock climbing wall, the first-ever rappelling wall at sea and a 24-foot enclosed climbing cage." which would be Decks 17 & 18. From looking at the Deck Plans it appears that batting practice would be on Deck 18, but not absolutely certain...Deck 17 only shows rock climbing walls which apparently are 2 decks high.

The freestyle deck is Deck 19...but I don't think the ship would take kindly to you using your "bat" on that deck for "practice." :eek:

John (and Ben...still in Michigan until later this month)

Thanks for the info John. I don't know if the batting cage will work for me though. You may be up there with your baseball bat but being English I have a cricket bat and I don't think the set up is exactly the same. I'd hate to damage my bat by using the wrong equipment :D

Thanks for the info John. I don't know if the batting cage will work for me though. You may be up there with your baseball bat but being English I have a cricket bat and I don't think the set up is exactly the same. I'd hate to damage my bat by using the wrong equipment :D

Yes, some of those sticky wickets can be down right treacherous...similar to driving the batter back from the plate! It can lead to disagreements between the pitcher and the receiver... :eek:

John (and Ben who is still in Michigan)

So it looks like everyone else on this board is sound asleep. No other sports fans obviously! We'll have to change the subject to something a little more cultural. I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the dining arrangements are for singles? Do they seat you randomly with a whole lot of other people or do you get squashed in the corner by the kitchen on a tiny table by yourself. I enjoy meeting people being the friendly sort. Good conversation is always fun and no batting or pitching qualifications required!

Hi guys. I've not booked yet but will fingers crossed be joining you all. I'm going to wait until after pay day this month and just pay the full amount rather than reserve now.

So I'm solo traveller from UK mid 30s, lots of cruises under my belt including two on NCL Epic so can answer most of your questions.

First time I stayed in Studios, last time in an inside so think this time it's got to be a balcony!!

So Epic is a very young ship, both times in the Med average age has been mid 40s.

So the infamous "nude deck" it's about 12 sun beds "freestyle" deck at the top of the ship, very few ppl I've seen use it, mainly women who want to sunbathe topless!

Yes there is lots of noise around the pool deck and yes at night in the clubs it's trance, Latin beats and dance music.

However,

Spice H2O in the day is quieter but above the Haven is some empty quieter decks where I would go and read or people watch ;)

If you don't like dance/loud then the good thing about Epic is there are loads of alternatives, always a piano player/singer in Shakers or jazz/blues in Fat Cats.

Now the FOD/LGBT or whatever you want to call them to be honest both times have been poor. Two main problems, problem 1 they are timed at the same time as the studios solo meetings! I pointed this out last year, this year no change. I'm using my phone to type this so just going to post this bit before it crashes! :)

Right, did it just before the battery died.

So FOD or whatever meetings.

Problem 1, same time as the Solos meetings in the Studio lounge so the first cruise I opted for the studio lounge meeting and met some nice solo travellers, signed up for the solos dinner on the 2nd night and also had dinner a couple of times with some of the girls and one of the str8 lads.

So second night I go to the LGB meeting and..

Problem 2: Location, Shakers is a small bar with maybe 8 stools at the bar and half a dozen tables, its a popular pre-dinner bar and was often packed with the more "mature" couples. Obviously the previous night they had met and decided to go elsewhere as they were not there, I walked by a couple of other nights and did speak to one couple in their 50s who I think also missed the first night.

No biggy for me, I don't wear it on my sleeve. Stronglad/James? - My status with work etc is very similar to yourself.

Anyhow so the 2nd time on Epic I decide to swing by the Shakers bar first, no one there??? so go to the solos meeting in the studios, again the solo dinner is the 2nd night and they go from the meeting which is the same time as the FOD meeting..

Ironically I met a nice young lad in Howl at the Moon :D:rolleyes:;) in headliners.

Anyhow I'm a bit of a party animal an so most nights I was in Bliss until 3/4AM followed by late night/early morning munchies in O'Sheehan.

Epic and NCl fits me perfectly, none of this dressing up lark which I hated on the Royal Caribbean cruises, its all informal. They have one dress up or not night but even that night you saw a handful of Tux/suits and majority still in shorts/slacks.. For people who have not cruised NCL before it comes as a bit of a shock if they have been used to traditional cruising...

Food/ents/staff were all great, hence why I'm coming back for a 3rd time..

So here is a clip of my Epic cruise from last year. The first bit is a bit boring but later there are clips of the ents that you are allowed to film, so no legends/blue man / cirque dreams etc..

The clips give you some idea of music etc.. nearly 3,000 views already!! lol

So it looks like everyone else on this board is sound asleep. No other sports fans obviously! We'll have to change the subject to something a little more cultural. I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the dining arrangements are for singles? Do they seat you randomly with a whole lot of other people or do you get squashed in the corner by the kitchen on a tiny table by yourself. I enjoy meeting people being the friendly sort. Good conversation is always fun and no batting or pitching qualifications required!

So, unlike traditional cruising where they have allocated seating/tables/dining times it's all freestyle.

So you can eat on your own or with others in any of the main restuarants or Buffet.

I met some people in the solos meeting and had probably a couple of meals with them plus one night there is a solos dinner where about 14 of us went to Taste.

I'm not a big fan of the drawn out eating process (taking up nearly 2hrs) but it was useful to meet others. I'm just as happy eating in the buffet or in O'Sheehans, there is so much ents on around the ship that eating late often meant missing some ents.

So musts are:

• Blue Man one night
  • Legends one night
  • Howl at the Moon - at least one night
  • Slam Allen - at least one night
  • Cirque Dreams - one night
  • White outfit for the white hot deck party!!

They stopped the adults night this year but we didn't have the loveable Camp as kitch Cruise Director Andy!!

Jason: From checking the NCL site it indicates, "The Sports Complex has not one, but two decks to play on with a full-sized basketball court, batting cage, rock climbing wall, the first-ever rappelling wall at sea and a 24-foot enclosed climbing cage." which would be Decks 17 & 18. From looking at the Deck Plans it appears that batting practice would be on Deck 18, but not absolutely certain...Deck 17 only shows rock climbing walls which apparently are 2 decks high.

The freestyle deck is Deck 19...but I don't think the ship would take kindly to you using your "bat" on that deck for "practice." :eek:

John (and Ben...still in Michigan until later this month)

LOL. So Sports Complex is above the Sprice H2O at the aft of the ship. It's a standard court which can be "converted" with nets into a batting cage which they do at least once a week. The freestyle deck is at the front of the ship deck 19 above the sundeck on 18 where I usually hang out.

7005689710_58351179dd_b.jpg

IMG_0779 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Loads of pics at flickr.com/single_cruiser/

Jason: Ben is an absolute sports nut...so if you want to discuss sports with someone he would definitely be one to talk with...it is not uncommon for him to be watching several different games on different channels at the same time by flipping channels...sigh...and he comes to my place to watch them because he is too "frugal" to pay for cable TV!! :mad:

Craig: You provided a great deal of helpful information. Really liked the video...too bad they discontinued adult night as it looked very "interesting." Also your pictures on Flickr were great. Maybe the LGBT community should just take over Deck 19 and hold the FOD Parties there! I bet Normadicbacchus would go for that...right, Jon? ;)

Is anyone planning on dressing up for Halloween? Just wondering... Seems so early to be thinking about a costume...especially in 100+ degree heat! I suppose Jon could wear a Maple leaf....or not!

John (and Ben, in absentia)

James: Somehow I started referring to you as Jason...don't know why...maybe it is the heat here...anyway, I wanted to apologize for my error and will try not to do it again.

John

Lol. I did wonder, I had the advantage of reading the thread from the start though :) .

NCL have come back to me with flight details, return from Miami would be via JFK to Manchester UK so looking good, will stick my hols request in next week at work for those 2 weeks.

If there are any other questions I'll try and answer..

The one usual one is the smoking one. So I'm a non-smoker brought up in a smoking household. I didn't find the Ca$ino too smokey, the only real problem I had was I like to sit at the outdoor bars and people would sit on the stools, order a drink, smoke and then return with drink to their sunbeds..

@ Craig - Thanks! So much info to take in and your video is brilliant - NCL should pay you for that, its better than half the "official" stuff!

I'll be out there with you at 3am at least a few times for sure, If I can't gym every day at least I can get a good sweat up on the dance floor. See, I'm weakening already... :rolleyes:

@ John - no worries mate. I get called Jay most of the time anyway :D

Re the batting, actually I'm more of a rugby man anyway so my live revolves around odd shaped balls :o . Craig I hope you're bringing something green & white to wear??? ;)

@ Jon whenever you resurface don't feel so bad about being 6ft 5... I'm only 2 inches shorter than you so I can pass messages down to those below :D

Evening Jay. Green and white.. What's that London Irish? I'm more a football (soccer) fan and get to the games when I can.

You'll love O'Sheehans post Bliss clubbing, the night waiting staff got used to me and my early morning munchies (oh and ice water ) , well West-bound we gain an hour a day so with 25hr days and nothing to get up for well apart from the port days ;) .

This year I did the 3.5 laps of the promenade deck each day to clear the head. 3.5 laps, up/down= 1 mile

Evening Jay. Green and white.. What's that London Irish? I'm more a football (soccer) fan and get to the games when I can.

You'll love O'Sheehans post Bliss clubbing, the night waiting staff got used to me and my early morning munchies (oh and ice water ) , well West-bound we gain an hour a day so with 25hr days and nothing to get up for well apart from the port days ;) .

This year I did the 3.5 laps of the promenade deck each day to clear the head. 3.5 laps, up/down= 1 mile

Ah Craig, I can see I'm going to have to educate you a little on board.Football is a girl's game :D. Green & Whites are Notts rugby, or are you a Man U fan? :eek:

I'd forgotten about the 25 hour days, what a bonus!

Ah Craig, I can see I'm going to have to educate you a little on board.Football is a girl's game :D. Green & Whites are Notts rugby, or are you a Man U fan? :eek:

I'd forgotten about the 25 hour days, what a bonus!

Notts have a Rugby team? Oh yeah, they play at the Sadpies ground!

The original Red and White me of Nottingham Forest, man and boy, including trips to Wembley in Cloughs day when I was a season ticket holder.. I live on the same road as some of the players and my ex neighbour now plays for a Prem side. ;)

You'll have a harder time explaining Rugby to an American Football supporter though! Lol..

Are you on a NCL flight from LHW to BCN with the transfers or doing it yourself?

Bit of trivia: O'Sheehans is named after the CEO of NCL. His last name is actually Sheehan but they wanted to make the place with a Irish flair...hence, O'Sheehans.

John

Bit of trivia: O'Sheehans is named after the CEO of NCL. His last name is actually Sheehan but they wanted to make the place with a Irish flair...hence, O'Sheehans.

John

And he used to be a NY cab driver! :D.

Hoping to meet him next Apr/May as he will probably be on the inaugural of his new baby Breakaway!

Craig: Wow, thanks for all the info. I also watched the video in full, and once again, it got me all exited about this trip. Were almost at 3 months!

Ive missed a lot of activity on this board...Ive been riding out the heat wave at a cottage, très "off the grid" so I havnt been able to get any internet, although I can't complain: being back in the city sucks. The whole time I was away, I was wondering if anyone had ever waterskied or wakeboarded behind a cruise ship.

You also lost me completely with the sports references...We follow hockey here in Canada, and when it comes to actually playing, I can put up with frizbee golf, mini-putt, bacci ball and the like...:p. I like to ski, is that a "sport"?

Notts have a Rugby team? Oh yeah, they play at the Sadpies ground!

The original Red and White me of Nottingham Forest, man and boy, including trips to Wembley in Cloughs day when I was a season ticket holder.. I live on the same road as some of the players and my ex neighbour now plays for a Prem side. ;)

You'll have a harder time explaining Rugby to an American Football supporter though! Lol..

Are you on a NCL flight from LHW to BCN with the transfers or doing it yourself?

Gatwick on Easyjet arriving 12:25pm and then cab to the cruiseport. Are you spending time in Barcelona?

Gatwick on Easyjet arriving 12:25pm and then cab to the cruiseport. Are you spending time in Barcelona?

No. It will be my 6th time in Barcelona and have done most of the sights, from a walking tour of the old town, through to the Spanish Village and the two cathedrals, yes two, that one and the football cathedral of Barcelona a tour of the neu camp stadium

Don't forget as well that a taxi from airport to cruise terminal will incur 3 extra charges. There is a fixed charge for taxis who pick up at airport, one for luggage and one for entering cruise terminal.

Epic will be at either A or B terminal

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Don't forget as well that a taxi from airport to cruise terminal will incur 3 extra charges. There is a fixed charge for taxis who pick up at airport, one for luggage and one for entering cruise terminal.

Epic will be at either A or B terminal

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Right then... someone will have to buy me a drink when I get on board! :D

Or maybe the Euro will have collapsed and we can all turn up in limos...

What time does your flight arrive Craig? Are you flying in from Manchester?

I've got many fond if drunken memories of Barcelona, all except for Camp Nou which I avoided like the plague :). I have to say that Sagrada Familia was one of the most amazing places I've ever seen (wasn't drunk that day) and so full of a rich spirituality that it almost made me want to cry. I wish I had time to go and visit it again.

Right then... someone will have to buy me a drink when I get on board! :D

Or maybe the Euro will have collapsed and we can all turn up in limos...

What time does your flight arrive Craig? Are you flying in from Manchester?

I've got many fond if drunken memories of Barcelona, all except for Camp Nou which I avoided like the plague :). I have to say that Sagrada Familia was one of the most amazing places I've ever seen (wasn't drunk that day) and so full of a rich spirituality that it almost made me want to cry. I wish I had time to go and visit it again.

If still available when I book it will be

21 Oct 12 LS803 MAN BCN

***0830**1200**

03 Nov 12******* AA1772**** MIA*********** JFK** 1355*** 1655

******************** AA210****** JFK*********** MAN* 1905**** 0625+1

I find it easier to get NCL flights as flying in on same day de-risks if flights late. Did I read you are a cruise virgin?

Muster Drill has been at about 4:30 on the last two trips.

Archived