Carnival Dream in May with Kids!???

Hot Nail

Did I make a good choice? We have cruised Carnival several times, but this will be the first cruise that we have taken our two girls on. They are 7 and 9. Its a western btw. Any advice would be appreciated. We chose May in hopes of beating the summer crowds once school lets out in June. Thx in advance for any advice.

We were the Dream earlier this year with our 10 year old God Child and there are some good and not so good things. If you have been on a Fantasy class ship retrofitted with the water works, you know that there is a sun deck where you can hang out and keep an eye on the kids while they play. On the Dream there is very limited seating around the water works area and neither I nor my child like that. The good side, probably the best food and service I have seen on a cruise. Our waiters treated our child like royalty all week.

Did I make a good choice? We have cruised Carnival several times, but this will be the first cruise that we have taken our two girls on. They are 7 and 9. Its a western btw. Any advice would be appreciated. We chose May in hopes of beating the summer crowds once school lets out in June. Thx in advance for any advice.

We had a very enjoyable time on the Dream in October, and even if schools are still in session, your girls will not be the only kids onboard. Many parents think like you do so expect plenty of kids at Camp Carnival.

Personally, I would prefer to sail right before the beginning of summer break like you are doing. Temperatures are MUCH more enojoyable in the Caribbean (vs. the scorching heat and unbearable humidity of july and august), and the ships are not at maximum occupancy (meaning all berths full). When the ship is at maximum occupancy, it's a zoo, lines are looooong, and to make it worse, the cruise lines actually charge you more for a less enjoyable experience!

Oh yes, I am well aware there will be many other kids. I am actually hoping so as it will make a more enjoyable experience for my kids. We are just avoiding the overwelliming masses once school lets out. We mainly chose carnival because of the great things we have heard about Camp Carnival and the Camp Carnival Staff.

I think you made a nice selection. Should have good weather. Kids will love the waterslides. By reviews here, some kids like Camp Carnival and make new friends, others don't care for it. I can't speak for crusing with children specifically, but your children can have some good times in your ports. In Cozumel, hit either Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach for their pools and water toys. Roatan, they can zipline at Clip N Zip right across from the shopping entrance (great for Mom and Dad too) and while it's not the picture perfect white sandy beach, Mahogany Bay does offer a nice opportunity for families to have a low key day without over expensive excursions. If you do take an excursion in Roatan, Victor Bodden's tours all stop at his place so people can see and pet his monkeys. Kid love that stuff. In Belize, a toru of AltunHa's Maya ruins via River Wallace can be educational and enjoyable for the family. Cavetubing is a good excursion too. Not much in the tender dock pier for children. In Costa Maya, either stay around the port's pool area or head down to the malecon in Mahahual and stop at Tropicante, for massages or relaxing day on beach. Not many water activities there, although Tequila Beach does have some toys. For excursions, if you're not doing Maya ruins in Belize, contact Native Choice and do one of their ruins tours where they also take you to a small village of Maya descendants who practice some of th eacient ways and share a Maya style meal with you.

I think you made a nice selection. Should have good weather. Kids will love the waterslides. By reviews here, some kids like Camp Carnival and make new friends, others don't care for it. I can't speak for crusing with children specifically, but your children can have some good times in your ports. In Cozumel, hit either Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach for their pools and water toys. Roatan, they can zipline at Clip N Zip right across from the shopping entrance (great for Mom and Dad too) and while it's not the picture perfect white sandy beach, Mahogany Bay does offer a nice opportunity for families to have a low key day without over expensive excursions. If you do take an excursion in Roatan, Victor Bodden's tours all stop at his place so people can see and pet his monkeys. Kid love that stuff. In Belize, a toru of AltunHa's Maya ruins via River Wallace can be educational and enjoyable for the family. Cavetubing is a good excursion too. Not much in the tender dock pier for children. In Costa Maya, either stay around the port's pool area or head down to the malecon in Mahahual and stop at Tropicante, for massages or relaxing day on beach. Not many water activities there, although Tequila Beach does have some toys. For excursions, if you're not doing Maya ruins in Belize, contact Native Choice and do one of their ruins tours where they also take you to a small village of Maya descendants who practice some of th eacient ways and share a Maya style meal with you.

Wow, great stuff. Thx

Archived