Mytime Dining confusion

Just got back from sailing on the Jewel of the Seas and had a great time. We picked the My time as our dining option, but for the five days we were on there, we had a different wait staff every time. Since we had prepaid the tips, I was confused for whom to leave the vouchers for, so we ended up just leaving them for the wait staff we had on the last day of the cruise. Any suggestions as to what to do next time? :confused:

Forget about the vouchers. They all know it was MTD and prepaid and it is all split up and they get shares based on tables assigned to and people served. The envelopes are handy if there was one (or more) really special service providers and you want to add extra cash.

In the past when we have had the same service team each ( or most)night, I use the envelopes to tuck in some extra. But they don't need the vouchers, its just there to to give you the opportunity to go through the motions and thank them! They get their tips in either case!

Hi,

What exactly is My Time Dining?

Sorry if it's a obvious question.

Thanks

Chris

Instead of having a set time and table (early or late) it's like a restaurant. You go when you want (within a certain time frame) and you can ask for a table for just your party or you may opt to sit at a larger table with other passengers. You can reserve a specific time and section of the dining room if you find a wait team you like.

Is My Time Dining the same as Anytime Dining on Princess? I have just booked my first RCCL cruise on FOS and would like to know what differences there are. How far in advance do you have to make the dinner reservation? What happens if you don't show up for dinner? With Anytime on Princess, you just show up when you want to eat, you don't have to book ahead although some ships allow you to make a reservation. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,

What exactly is My Time Dining?

Sorry if it's a obvious question.

Thanks

Chris

One section of the Main Dining Room is set aside for guests who have signed up for My Time Dining. My Time Dining allows those who have signed up for it, to dine at times besides the two traditional dining times. If you choose MTD, you can go to that area in the MDR and be seated for dinner anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 pm. You can reserve a specific time or simply show up when you are hungry or the spirit moves you. You can eat at the same time each evening or adjust the times to reflect the times best suited for your daily schedule. If you find a specific wait staff that you particularly like, you can request to be seated at one of their tables every evening and the staff will do their best to accommodate you. If you choose MTD you must prepay your gratuities (If you book MTD before your sailing date, the cost will be added to the amount you owe at the time of final payment. If you book MTD after you board, the charge will be placed on your Seapass account.) We have been quite satisfied with My Time Dining and now prefer it to traditional because of the flexibility it offers us. :) When we have just shown up without an advance reservation, there has never been a lengthy wait to be seated.:)

If you book MTD after you board,

Note though that often MTD fills up or popular times get reserved online quickly prior to cruise so flexibility may become limited even if MTD is available to switch to onboard. And if so and not possible to reserve spcific times in advance each day the walk-up wait doe snot seem to be any longer than most popular shore based restaurants - maybe 10-15 minutes max. Small price to pay for not being so regimented by set dining times.

Note though that often MTD fills up or popular times get reserved online quickly prior to cruise so flexibility may become limited even if MTD is available to switch to onboard. And if so and not possible to reserve spcific times in advance each day the walk-up wait doe snot seem to be any longer than most popular shore based restaurants - maybe 10-15 minutes max. Small price to pay for not being so regimented by set dining times.

And I would say that 10 to 15 minutes is the exception that proves the rule. In our experience our wait has seldom been longer than 5 or 10 minutes even at what could be considered peak dining times. One difference we noted between Princess' Anytime Dining and RCI's My Time Dining is that, on RCI, you won't find those annoying beepers that Princess regularly hands out signifying that your wait time will be so long that you might want to repair to a nearby lounge for a drink or two.

Thanks very much, I was worried we were shortchanging someone. I liked the dining, however even though we requested in advance a table for 2, we only got that type of table two out of the five days. We were told the other nights it would be a wait of 20 minutes unless we wanted to sit with a group. I also would probably change our dining time of 730, we missed out on a lot of shows and crown and anchor gatherings that usually took place during this time.

Archived