Person fan?

delta13

Electric fan? Other way around - bad on ship, OK in air. Many reports of those being confiscated at ship security after visit to naughty room with the booze people. In general any electric devices that involve motor or heating are not allowed. There have been success stories with battery operated fans but if it plugs in expect possible issue. Airline, if in checked luggage, not problem at all. Not sure if issue for carry-on but examination of it might slow things down.

If plastic blades and if cord is wrapped around base (so does not look like electric cord) there is fair chance of making on ship. Issue for TSA is just that they tend to want to open and inspect anything "dense" and cylindrical like the motor core would be (or a gun barrel would be). Once they are satisfied it is not a weapon you're on your way. Worst case it ship security confiscates and you get it back at cruise end.

I always bring a small electric fan, as I need air blowing ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT (hot flashes.....ick!)....a battery fan will NOT work for me....just bringing enough batteries would be weight prohibitive.

Bring an extension cord, so you can have it near the bed, if that's an issue!

The airlines don't care at all.

There is no firm policy on the fans. Some ports confiscate them, some don't. Some ports take extension cords, some don't. I pack a 4 inch metal electric fan in its original box in a corner of my checked suitcase, and it has not been taken on my last 6 cruises. I always have a copy of the forbidden items list printed out (which does not list a fan), prepared to argue with the ship if they take it. I probably wouldn't argue if they take it, I'm on vacation, don't need the stress, not a major issue. I've heard others who need a fan for medical reasons get a prescription from a doctor, but that seems extreme in most cases. I am always in an inside cabin and just like the air moving around.

I had a small fan confiscated once, it was a small, clip on fan about 8 inches in diameter. We had it in our carry on and security at port removed it, tagged it and gave us a receipt. We picked it up at a table next to the exit after disembarkation.

I now have a flippi fan, pack it into the checked case and it's been on numerous cruises.

http://www.target.com/p/Vornado-Flippi-V6-Personal-Air-Circulator-Red/-/A-12461146

I had a small fan confiscated once, it was a small, clip on fan about 8 inches in diameter. We had it in our carry on and security at port removed it, tagged it and gave us a receipt. We picked it up at a table next to the exit after disembarkation.

I now have a flippi fan, pack it into the checked case and it's been on numerous cruises.

http://www.target.com/p/Vornado-Flippi-V6-Personal-Air-Circulator-Red/-/A-12461146

I've taken 2 of that same exact fan along before---->I was not real impressed with the amt of air they move.....even on high it was tough to feel.....I guess it boiled down to......"it was better than nothing...."

I had a very small electric fan confiscated on my cruise on Enchantment in September. They actually kept my luggage, too. I had to personally take the fan out of the suitcase and leave it with them. They sent a box fan up for me which was much nicer than the little one that I had brought. It was waiting on a table with lots of other fans and irons when I departed the ship.

I've taken 2 of that same exact fan along before---->I was not real impressed with the amt of air they move.....even on high it was tough to feel.....I guess it boiled down to......"it was better than nothing...."

No, it's not real powerful but it serves the purpose. I like to have a fan blowing on me while I'm blow drying my hair. My husband likes the white noise of a fan overnight.

Archived