The Thank You Letter that Pays You Back

lucyjohnz

I sent a thank you letter to Carnival for our Feb. 12-16th Ecstasy cruise. I mentioned that we enjoyed the cruise, what we liked and didn't like (we liked more than we didn't like) and yesterday I got an letter from Carnival with 2 $25 cabin credits for any Carnival cruise taken over the next 18 months. Sweet!

Anyway, it was quite nice to receive "compensation" for my positive comments.

Thanks Carnival!

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I sent a thank you letter regarding the dining staff on my December 16-20 cruise, and simply received a "thank you for your input" email a few weeks ago. No discounts, no freebies, nothing. I really don't mind at all (our waiter was wonderful and someone deserved to know, even if it does nothing for him in the long run), but I am curious as to who does or does not get these discounts. Thanks!

Carla

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I sent a thank you letter regarding the dining staff on my December 16-20 cruise, and simply received a "thank you for your input" email a few weeks ago. No discounts, no freebies, nothing. I really don't mind at all (our waiter was wonderful and someone deserved to know, even if it does nothing for him in the long run), but I am curious as to who does or does not get these discounts. Thanks!

Carla

Who did you send it to? Regular mail or email??

I sent my letter via e-mail, but I've heard of other cruisers on these boards who received e-mail discounts. I didn't think that would make a difference in getting a discount? Maybe so...

Did you send it to grelations@carnival.com or did you click on the "contact us" link on the carnival website??

You can also call guest relations 1-800-929-6400 and they will usually send you a 10% off letter regardless if you complain or comend the service.

I'm pretty sure I just clicked on the "Contact Us" link, but was very specific in my comments (waiter name, sailing date, dining room, etc.).

As far as I'm concerned, it seems almost too much hassle just to get a $25 credit. However, it's definitely worth the time to provide constructive criticism/complements for the people who deserve them.

Should I always address my e-mails to guest relations?

Carla

Do people honestly want to acknowledge good service or are they just looking for a handout?

I think for the majority it's the latter.:rolleyes:

We just got a letter this week from Carnival offering each of us a 30.00 onboard credit for the next time we cruise. We sent a letter with both a complaint and several compliments and they apologized for our complaint. I did not EXPECT anything from them in return, I just believe in writing letters when I have had a very wonderful experience. Or if there was a problem. Getting a nice letter in response is an unexpected surprise and the $60.00 in credit makes it a wonderful surprise. But I did not want a handout as someone said.:eek:

I sent a compliments letter through e-mail, two weeks later I got an e-mail response saying to call guest relations 45 day prior to my next cruise for a gift. I called yesterday and was told that each ship offers something different. I was offered a bottle of wine, a fruit basket, chocolates, drink coupons or photo coupons. She told me to pick my 2 favorite items and they will surprise me with one. I chose drink and photo coupons.

I've sent an email after both of our cruises praising crew members and the cruise in general and never got any response at all.:confused:

Did you send e-mail or snail mail. If it was e-mail. The e-mailed response from CCL may have been directed to your bulk mail folder. That is where mine was. I just happened to be checking it that day. Good thing, cause I usually just delete all junk mail.

Do people honestly want to acknowledge good service or are they just looking for a handout?

When I write a letter to acknowledge how happy I am with a product or service I fall into "acknowledge good service category not the "i'm looking for a handout category"

when I write a letter I do so because there are more people in this world that will complain to a company before they will ever think about writing an acknowledgement of good service or a product and I figure a company should be made aware that there are people out there that ARE happy ..I just wrote a letter to another company for something I have been using..I didnt write it to get anything but what I found that was interesting and something I already knew was in the letter it said "thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoy the product and for writing..we usually hear the complaints and its nice to see someone writing to let us know they are pleased "

So what if they are looking for a "handout".

Since when did it become so offensive for people to try and save money? Carnival will still make money even if they give me a 15% off the price of a cruise.

I personally find the tactic of sneaking 10 bottles of booze on board to be much more dishonest and more akin to looking for a "handout".

Coming up with creative ways to save money is the American Way. Just like cheating on your taxes.

Pat

Running Dad - well said!

I wrote my letter to Carnival when I returned from my 1st cruise and was not looking for a handout - just still excited from the cruise.

Did I use the 15% off letter - you bet! Every little bit helps (btw - it only saves 15% off of the actual cruise so it only amounted to about $20.00)

WE will be taking our 4th cruise in a month and I have written an note EVERY time we have returned. I think if the staff is good, bad or ugly they have a right to know. We have always received a note of some sort thanking us for our input but this last time we did receive a note saying 45 days before we cruise to call and we would have a special gift in our room That is not what we were looking for ... we were just letting them know how happy or sad we were with our cruise. I agree with the other posts... its not a hand out most are looking for but if they are giving one why not take it. WE all know if you want to make someone happy hand them a freebie.

regarding the handouts, I write letters for whether I have a good or a bad time...however, I DO expect carnival to give someting in return...since when is it bad to be different from someone else...if someone would like to save a couple of buks here and there...what is the affect on you?????:mad: however, if I have a bad time on a cruise, then I will write a letter, and definetely fight until I get something out of it

just think of it as a game...it is JUST a game...if you lose, so you lose, and you go away a bit angry, if you win, then you definitely are happy.

Archived