How long for the drive to Emerald Lake?

lawyergirl22

Hi all!

We are renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake, and doing a horsebackriding tour with Joni at 3:30 (2:30 Skagway time). So, how much time should we allow for the drive up for pictures, stops, etc? (yes, we have Murray's road guide) Keeping in mind that we will be driving straight back to Skagway to catch the ship--so no stopping on the way back.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer :)

gianna

We did this drive back in 2003. As I recall it took about an hour to drive over to Carcross and probably 15 to 20 minutes from Carcross to Emerald Lake. We made stops on the way. Its hard not to stop when there are bears along the road. Beautiful drive. Enjoy....Tim

You should allow at least 2 1/2 hours going north with stops, and 1 1/2 hours going back to Skagway with no stops. It's 75 miles each way, with 50-55 mph speeds almost all the way.

Murray

We're thinking about doing the "rent a car" thing too. Where can I find the road guide to Emerald Lake? Any other suggestions for things to do with a 23 year old and 11 year old? Oh, Hubby will be there too but he's easy to please! Thanks. Counting down till we sail on 17 June

Yukon: Thanks for your great guide to Whitehorse.I just printed it out and will read it in more detail this weekend. We will be in Skagway the lst week in August and I reserved a car from Avis to do the trip. We just came back from Vegas during spring break and even with my rental reservation, I had to wait an hour at Alamo to get the paperwork and then when I went to pick up the car, the intermediate car area was empty and about 20 people standing in line for a car to be available. Luckily I went back in and was upgraded to a SUV which was available. I'm wondering if the same problem might be in Skagway with all the ships coming in each day. If you have any knowledge, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm most fascinated with the Salmon and noticed a ladder system in Whitehorse. Are there any other ladders along the way to Whitehore. The photos in your writeup are also spectacular. Can't wait to experience the scenic drive.

John L.

John L.

You're very welcome, John.

I haven't heard of any problems with Avis in Skagway - things seem to run very smoothly.

Normally I say that Whitehorse is too far to go on a day trip - in your case it "may" be worthwhile, since the fish ladder at the power dam can be very good in mid-to-late August (there are large viewing windows to see the salmon going through). There's only the one ladder, as the salmon spawn within the 30 miles or so upriver from the dam. The downside is that you won't have time to much of anything else, as the fish ladder is a 232-mile return trip from Skagway.

Murray

The Ladies that run the car rental for Avis in Skagway do a great job. If you have reserved a car in advance there should be no problem. Most people on the Cruise don't even think about it until its too late. Those who do their homework have the better chance to see some great sights. Once you get back into Skagway there is one service station in town. Its not hard to find.

The night before our car rental be called room service for sandwiches. Had a picknic luch at Emerald Lake. Do check out the apple cobbler you can order at Emerald Lake Lodge. It was pretty good. Tim

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

Baja is next Holland America sailing the "O" 12/05

Thanks Tim for the info. Do you know what time Avis opens?? I requested 9 a.m. thinking we would only drive out a few miles from Skagway but now I will go the entire route. I'm on the P. Diamond and we are scheduled to arrive at 5:00 am and depart at l0 pm. As soon as Avis opens I hope to get their wheels. The highway looks great, so should be a fun day.

John L.

The Avis person (whose name I cannot remember, sorry) in Skagway emailed me that they open at 8 a.m. and close at 8 during the week but the rental is for 24 hours so they have a keydrop i.e. you pay the same amount if you reserve from 8-4:00, 8-8:00 etc. They open May 9 if you need to call for any clarification.

Archived