A Review of Sutri, Calcata and Viterbo

Denverite

We were looking for something different to do on our port day in Civitavecchia, so elected to take a tour of Sutri, Calcata and Viterbo with Stefano of RomeCabs. I love the Italian countryside. We first stopped in Sutri for cappachino or hot chocolate before venturing to the etruscan tombs in Sutri. Our next stop (my favorite) was Calcata. This is a medieval town sitting high atop a hill of volcanic rock. Because it was November and not exactly tourist season, we had the place to ourselves. If you like photo ops, this is the place to go. Around every corner is another place to take a picture. There is also a very old church and small museum in Calcata, but the most fascinating parts of Calcata are all the old buildings and alleyways. Final stop was Viterbo where we had lunch at the Three Kings restaurant--very good and not expensive. We also visited the Cathedral of S. Lorenzo. All in all, this one-day excusion packed in a lot of information, as well as great sites and a wonderful lunch. I highly recommend it.

For photos:

http://susmanvacation.kodakgallery.com/gallery/personal-url/albumView.jsp?albumId=886091393213#p/127032393213

Archived