Upgrades on NCL?

lsabe

I'm a first time cruiser on NCL. I'm in minisuite 11552 on the 8/08/04 sailing, and wondering if anyone has had this room before and can comment on it's location and noise level.

Also, how does NCL handle upgrades? In the past I've received free upgrades on other cruiselines, how is NCL with this? If I have to pay, should I expect to pay more than $500 to upgrade to a PH. When is usually the best time to ask? How long should I wait?

About two months before cruise you can call this number. It still maybe to early.

1-800-625-4309 this is the Reaccomodation dept.
FREE < HA! unless you had a probem ! or took a GYD
i purchansed a upgrade it cost me $500 for both of us!
Good luck!

Suzanne & Michael
& my little doggie (Tyler)

SuzyQ - u mean the # is not free or the upgrade - appreciate knowing? Wld this be worth doing if the cruise is sold out - guess it would as about 2 mos before sailing is when final payments are due and cabins come available again right? due to cancellations? Thanks for replying... & happy cruisin'!

NCL does give upgrade some times.
I got one last year,But there was a problen & I asked for it due to this problem.
then I when one step more & the purchashed a nicer one on top of it.
this time I just purchashed a upgrade. it was for $500 for both of us, from a inside cabin to a balcony cabin.
I did have the best inside cabin on the top deck you can buy in the first place!
then got the other for $500 more for both of us so $250 each plus some other fees what for clueless

Suzanne & Michael

Suzy:
I thought the extra fees were really the tax on the extra $500 for the cruise?? I thought we already discussed that, or am I all confused...

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisecrasy:
SuzyQ - u mean the # is not free or the upgrade - appreciate knowing? Wld this be worth doing if the cruise is sold out - guess it would as about 2 mos before sailing is when final payments are due and cabins come available again right? due to cancellations? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a toll free call to the reaccommodation desk. And upgrades can sometimes be free but not usually. When final payment comes due, the cruise line then knows how many people have paid and will really be on the cruise. Those holding reservations and don't pay, lose their reservation and that cabin becomes available. It's easier for the cruise line to sell a lower priced cabin than a suite or balcony room so the cruise line will sometimes contact TAs with offers of upgrades for a little more money. That is, however, if the cruise will likely not sell out. If it's a holiday or popular time to cruise, chances are they can sell those higher category cabins. But it doesn't hurt to call and ask...I've read of some people calling every week just to stay on top of it. Can't hurt right? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cecilia

I can be contacted at [email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

YES call, Some times you luck out!

it cant hurt, they will give you a discount if they are changing anything.
Most upgrades there is a fee.

You can get an upgrade as quoted by Cecilia when its not full up!
IT seem to me ,NCL is not giving out to many free upgrades these days!
They use to got many an upgrades years ago!
Suzanne & Michael

Isabe,

With a bit of guesswork, I have narrowed it down to about 3 or 4 different NCL ships you might be cruising on. If you give us the name of the ship, you may get more answers about the cabin.
Upgrades are hard to come by these days at NCL. Their ships are so heavily booked that they rarely have any reason to give free upgrades. On their newer ships, it is sometimes even impossible to purchase one.

I have cruised NCL 5 times and have never received a free upgrade. This last trip in Feb I was offered an upgrade to the foward penthouse for 400.pp but I passed. We were already in a mini suite. I later found out that the people in that room paid only 300 total to upgrade from their regular balcony cabin, and the were first time NCL cruisers. That is why I probably will not cruise NCL on my next cruise, they do not reward loyality.

Celebrity Meridian 7/90
Premier SeaBreeze 6/99
Celebrity Horizon 7/00
NCL Sea 6/01
NCL Sea 6/02
NCL Dawn 6/03
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 9/03
NCL Dawn 2/04

We were just offered an upgrade for our May 15th sailing of the Spirit from a cat CC to a Cat BA for $25.00 per person,, we were called two weeks ago and offered the same upgrade for $400.00 now am so excited that we waited.

CCL Tropicale Jan 99
CCL Celebration Feb 2000
CCL Paradise Feb 2001
NCL Spirit May 2004

I was offered an upgrade from Cat. C to BA for $300 total. Way too much. If they called and offered for $50 total ($25 each) I would jump on that in a heartbeat!

STAR gazing in Alaska
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

NCL Star 5/30/04
Carnival Destiny 4/02

I booked a guaranteed inside cabin for the Spirit on May 15, and so did my parents. They got a free upgrade to oceanview. I did not. But they offered me an upgrade to oceanview for $150 or to a balcony for $400. Bottom line, I only had to pay a single fare for a balcony cabin. Not 150% or 200% of the single fare. Just the per person rate for the BA category.

I have been on 14 cruises (NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean) and I have never been given an upgrade. Or even offered one at a reasonable rate. I am happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOONMOUNTAIN:
We were just offered an upgrade for our May 15th sailing of the Spirit from a cat CC to a Cat BA for $25.00 per person,, we were called two weeks ago and offered the same upgrade for $400.00 now am so excited that we waited.

CCL Tropicale Jan 99
CCL Celebration Feb 2000
CCL Paradise Feb 2001
NCL Spirit May 2004<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moon, are you kidding? Oh, I am so irritated that I paid $400! But I may not have been offered the upgrade at the lower price, so I'll get over it. But congratulations to you!

Archived