$5 for gelato?

navychop3

Would you pay $5 for gelato onboard Princess ships?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay $5 for gelato onboard Princess ships?

• I'd gladly pay the $5.
    • I'd grudgingly pay the $5.
    • I would not pay $5 for gelato.

When all the ice cream became free, it's not as good since they now only have soft-serve (not what I like) and the special sundaes are no longer available. It's free now, but we don't eat it. My husband orders ice cream in the MDR.

On the ships with the soft-serve, they usually also have the regular ice cream at no charge, but only chocolate and vanilla.

I found the "gelato" to be of poor quality and would not pay $1.50 for it again, much less $5.

Years ago on the Golden they had ice cream on the Lido deck that was real ice cream. It was almost like a Coldstone in that they would mix things in it. I'll gladly pay for that.

Like most people, I hate soft-serve ice cream because it is nothing but vile tasting glop. All we want is a wide variety of hard ice cream. We will gladly pay. Can't they put in a Baskin-Robbins?

I liked the gelato on the ship and it seemed the same as what I had in Italy. Why quibble about $5 when you paid so much for the cruise? I don't care if it's $1, $5, or $10, if I want some I'll get it. I like both ice cream and soft serve but seldom have it on a cruise, even when free. Now if it was creme brulet, that's another story. I think I could eat that a coupe times a day every day! I really don't go on a cruise to eat and I doubt I will ever pay extra to eat in the specialty dining. Perfectly happy with the MDR.

Paying $1.50 extra for 3 scoops of 'gelato' is enough...to me it's good 'ice cream' but not like the gelato I've enjoyed in Italy. ;)

How good is it?

I have had gelato in Rome, Florence, and San Gimignano. It was always OUTSTANDING, but very expensive IMO. I remember paying around US$15 in Rome for what was described as a small size, but it was a lot of gelato, about 2 fists full. One taste and I did not mind the price because it was so good. How do they make it so good without cream? I don't know.

So, if those 3 scoops at $1.50 is really good, then I say, it is a deal. But $5, not sure about that.

Gelato comes with Italy surrounding it. Anywhere else is just impostors. :D

The only response worth consideration :)

My answer is no I would not pay $5 for cruise ship gelato, I will eat the included (or some people say "free") ice cream.

The current fee is $1.50, seemingly hardly worth collecting.

What if they increase that fee to $5, presumably so they don't cut corners here?

Would you gladly pay $5 for gelato as good as it is now?

Would you grudgingly pay it?

Or do you not think it worth $5?

I may pay the $1.50 but not $5 no matter how good it is.

With all due respect to everyone here, it's not real gelato, and it's not worth even the $1.50 fee. Anyone who has eaten real gelato, not from a premix, in Italy knows the difference.

You are so right!

The real gelato in Italy is unmistakeable. I have never been on Princess so far. Sort of in a quandry if I should try it just once. That way I can speak from experience. I will probably opt for trying it once.

Gelato comes with Italy surrounding it. Anywhere else is just impostors. :D

I must agree with this. So far, it does appear that Italy is the only source for real gelato. There seems to be no substitute for the real thing. In the absence of real gelato, there are some good alternatives. We all know the names of those ice creams.

Archived