The new Market

Beachgal528

It's a permanent building for the straw market instead of their make-shift tents they have had. And it is not too far from the pier. From what I am hearing though, it is not full of vendors and their prices are higher. Seems like they still have alot of work to do with the vendors to make it a better place. I would love to see more local and handmade items for sale there instead of the junk they mostly have. We will be there in a few weeks, I'll let ya know what I see!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking for someplace to get handmade stuff......straw purses, wood carvings. Will I be able to get any of these at the straw market or is everything they sell made in China?

There's a great wood carver at the Straw market.

Check Festival Place for more authentic straw purses and bags.

On weekends, bay street has local "artisans" who set up tables on the sidewalk. Lots of locals bags, jewelry, tile, photographs and other things "bahamian".

Is there anywhere in Freeport or Nassau to get the knockoff purses? I was really looking forward to this...will be there in a week.

Nope, the government has shut down any vendor selling contraband. (knock off purses, watches, sunglasses and such)..

it's now illegal to buy and sell in the bahamas.

Cozumel had them right in the port shops when you get off the ship last time we were there.

I wonder if people quit getting off the ship since the purses are gone and Atlantis has cut off most of the hotel without paying, they will let the vendors have them again, if it is effecting the economy. I know I did my part to stimulate it whenever we would go.

Cozumel had them right in the port shops when you get off the ship last time we were there.

I wonder if people quit getting off the ship since the purses are gone and Atlantis has cut off most of the hotel without paying, they will let the vendors have them again, if it is effecting the economy. I know I did my part to stimulate it whenever we would go.

Since the gov't was getting heat about this from the U.S, I doubt they will allow them to sell illegal products again now that they have it under control. They are now looking into copyright infrigement (Dora, spongebob etc.. ) and seeking to stop that as well.

There really isn't a marked difference in the number of people getting off the ship. There are more tours being offered this season than I have seen in any other season. Something for everyone. and free beaches as well.

Cruisers are still spending their $$ in nassau.. Plenty other things to do and buy.

Archived