Labadee

islandgirlejfan

We are looking to book the Western Caribbean on the Silhouette April of 2013 and we are most looking forward to this stop. I love private islands because there really is no stress on these sorts of *Beach Days*. There's usually a straw market, a beach and food....what's not to like?! :D I do have a question and I know many of you cruise both RCCL and Celebrity.....how do you feel about the island in respect to it being able to accommodate those people who want to utilize it, especially with the larger ships? I'm asking because Great Stirrup Cay felt very crowded when we were there last in 2009 on the Pearl and it was a soft sailing. When we sailed the Sky, it was a lot more enjoyable. Norwegian has since put some money into developing the island which I'm sure will help, however I cannot imagine anything larger than the Pearl stopping there. Opinions of Labadee?

Was there on the Solstice and we arrived a bit late for reasons beyond control (evac) so I don't think that everyone got off that would have because of meal times and BBQ cancellation (held onboard) but they area controlled by RCL was certainly big enough to handle everyone.

AT that time they were still building the large pier that can and now eliminates tenders and it was obvious that they were expanding washrooms and other facilities and I believe that is all complete now.

A great beach stop for sure and lots to do.

Now if two S class were there at once...I dono :cool:

Labadee is fairly large, so crowding should not be a significant problem. If it is too crowded at the beach nearest to where you dock, just walk a bit and you should find a more peaceful area. Labadee is not actually an island, but is a peninsula and there is a wall that separates it from Haiti proper. I stopped there a couple of years ago on an RCI cruise and had a wonderful time. It is a beautiful plot of land. I am not too happy about all the additions (zip line, alpine coaster etc.) as I think Labadee is best utilized as a peaceful beach day, but at least they appear to be trying to minimize the detraction from the physical beauty of Labadee as much as possible as they add these "attractions."

We visited Labadee on Liberty OTS and quite enjoyed it. Didn't feel crowded as there was lot of places for people to go off in their own directions. There was a line-up to get lunch of course but it moved quick and there wasn't a problem getting seating.

Hi IslandGirlEJFan,

Don't know much about Labadee other than it is an island within Haiti, and as such, if you are a Blood Donor on a regular basis, it will preclude you from giving blood for at least a year (due to the high occurence of Malaria on the Island / Region)

American Red Cross (FAQs) = http://www.giveblood.org/faqs

There are other issues (Travel Advisories from the US State Department) for Haiti as well... but they primarily relate to the whole country, and not just to Celebrity's Private Island.

I make it a point to at least consult such Travel Avisories.... BEFORE I make any firm plans.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Hi IslandGirlEJFan,

Don't know much about Labadee other than it is an island within Haiti, and as such, if you are a Blood Donor on a regular basis, it will preclude you from giving blood for at least a year (due to the high occurence of Malaria on the Island / Region)

There are other issues (Travel Advisories from the US State Department) for Haiti as well... but they primarily relate to the whole country, and not just to Celebrity's Private Island.

I make it a point to at least consult such Travel Avisories.... BEFORE I make any firm plans.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

There are NO travel advisories for Labadee. It is totaly walled/fenced off from the rest of the country. The are is about 100 acres in a little corner of a country the size of Massachusetts. You're safer there then you are in, I think you live in, Toronto.

Hi IslandGirlEJFan,

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Hey Sloop :) I can't give blood any longer anyway unfortunately because I lived in Europe between 1980 and 1990. It also affects the Dominican Republic (I think that one is only a year though) and I have been there as well.

Archived