Help me reach my goal

FSUFan1k

My goal is to touch all seven continents. I only need 2 now. Is is possible to cruise Australia and then get a side trip to Antarctica ? This would complete my wish list. I would like to go Dec 2012 or January 2013 depending upon which is more likely to have good weather and sailing. Thankx for your insights. KT

My goal is to touch all seven continents. I only need 2 now. Is is possible to cruise Australia and then get a side trip to Antarctica ? This would complete my wish list. I would like to go Dec 2012 or January 2013 depending upon which is more likely to have good weather and sailing. Thankx for your insights. KT

It may not be possible to go to Antartica while on an Australian cruise unless you stay over in New Zealand after the cruise. Most flights to Antartica, I think, are from Christchurch, New Zealand. I don't think you could get back in time before the ship left for the next port, even if you could find a private flight. A better bet would be to take the Princess excursion from Punta Arenas, Chile on the South American Cape Horn cruise. The flight goes to a Chilean Air Force base on Antartica. It is near a Russian weather station and we were free to walk all over the area. A guide will take you to see a penguin colony. The flight I was on left at 7:00am and returned at 7:00pm. It is a three hour flight, so we were on land in Antartica for about 6 hours. When I went, the Princess shore excursion cost about $1,500, but I'm sure it is more now. I considered the price was worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. Like you, I always wanted to walk on all seven continents, and now I have.

There is a catch to flying from Punta Arenas and that is the weather. I know of quite a few who have booked the Princess excursion or HAL's excursion to fly down to Antarctica from there and on the day, the weather hasn't been kind and they haven't been able to go. My sister was on such a flight and was half way there before the plane had to turn back as the winds were getting too dangerous for the aircraft.

From Australia, there are trips down to Antarctica on small ships. They leave from Hobart in Tasmania and are very expensive. http://www.chimuadventures.com.au/australia/index.php?dest=2&jt=antarctica&gclid=CKzwzZH-nK0CFVCApAodZ14akw and here is another one: http://www.orionexpeditions.com/expeditions/antarctica/voyage_summary

Jennie

You might want to plan a trip there that involves multiple landings on Antarctica to imrove your chances of setting foot on the continent.

If your budget allows, take an expedition ship from South America to Antarctica. Check out National Geographic's trips, etc. that are ice-breaking ships that can get into the smaller passages, etc.

Congrats on your 7 continents goal. It has been, by far, the best goal I ever set and had the good fortune to complete.

Archived