Aft cabin or Junior Suite for Alaska

janets

We currently have 7676 (aft) on the Radiance for Alaska cruise - it is not a corner aft. We have had 7652 (corner aft) twice on the Rhapsody and loved it. We thought the aft would be good for the view in Alaska but would also like to do a Junior Suite.

Is the smaller cabin worth the view? Need to decide quickly before the Junior Suites are gone

I take it there are no JS afts available???? I think I would take the aft for the view no matter the category. Here are some pics of our aft D1 (8672) on Radiance....as much as we love those JS's, the D1 was a great choice for this cruise:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debandbill25/detail?.dir=/c1a0&.dnm=f4da.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debandbill25/detail?.dir=/c1a0&.dnm=83b7.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debandbill25/detail?.dir=/c1a0&.dnm=dde2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debandbill25/detail?.dir=/c1a0&.dnm=25b1.jpg&.src=ph

Deb and Bill - there are JS's available - we just would really like the aft for the view of both sides. We have had aft before and loved it and also have had JS's and loved them. We originally had 1102 (aft) when we first booked this cruise a year ago and then switched to a JS when we thought our daughter was coming with us (aft D1's apparently do not have pull out sofa). I hated giving up that Aft especially since it was on 10 and we are Daimond members and can take advantage of Concierge. I just happened to be talking to TA after our DD (23 years old) decided she was not coming. She checked all of the Afts floor by floor and finally found 7676 was available. I grabbed it and was a little concerned because I saw it was over what appeared to be a night club (Singapore Sling) but from what I hear it is fairly quiet. Your pics convinced me to stay with 7676 - we do not mind the walk down to the end of the hall.

SprCmp2415 - do you have an aft - does your cruise have a thread for your date - I have lots of ???'s on possible excursions. We have done Caribbean over a dozen times but this is first Alaska

Deb and Bill - what excursions did you do

We want to do a Glacier walkabout in Juneau or Skagway and Bear Watching in Ketchikan since we will be there late July

JanetS...notice you are a Texan as well...did you get hail last night??? Whew , we got it about 1:30...not too long but it really woke us up!

Re: excursions: We did the White Pass RR in Skagway and the Juneau whalewatching...both really good except for lousy weather in Juneau..the only really bad day. I assume you are reading the Alaska ports of call board...they were a big help to me regarding excursions and getting thru Vancouver airport and such. By the way, if you are flying into Vancouver, give yourselves time to tour that city...its wonderful...we so enjoyed our 2 and 1/2 days there precruise!

Oh, and reread my post...I was asking about aft JS's but I pretty much figured out there were none to be had. If you ever get a chance to sail in 1100(JS) on the Radiance class ships, do so.....the best cabin in the world!

I was a little concerned about noise on deck seven aft myself from the club below but I think that it doesn't stay busy really late at night (past midnight) so I think you will be OK. I think the only thing that I was disappointed in on our Radiance to Alaska cruise was that the seating area between the Windjammer and the pool portside (where the windows open and close) with all the cushy wicker seating that we had on Brilliance was not there...guess they figure it was too cold. They had hard tables and chairs...no plants...very barren..smoking area...yuck. Other than that...no complaints...oh yeah...one...PA system at the theater shows was unbelieveably loud....spent the shows covering my ears. So, minor complaints....the rest was Wonderful! Deb

We did not get hail last night - were all set for it - moved things around to get the third car in our garage - had marble sized last Tues

Finally booked excursions today when I noticed one of our preferred times was sold out already

We booked

Juneau - Helicopter Glacier Walkabout 2:30-5:15

Skagway - White Pass Scenic Railway 8:20-11:50

Skagway - Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing 12:45-2:45 3:15 already booked

Ketchikan - Neets Bay Bear Watch Expedition 2-5Pm

We get in Vancouver on Friday early and ship sails Sat- return the following Sat and fly out on Monday - hopefully we will have enough time to see Vancouver.

Talked to guy at the tour company in Skagway that does the dogsledding to see if I could book through him. He was very nice and said the coldest to expect on glacier in July was 40 degrees which was very helpful since as you know in San Antonio, I do not have any jackets for temps much colder than that.

Will continue to check Alaska threads for excursions but at least I have something reserved - just love these boards. Confident now on keeping my Aft!

We had an aft last summer when we went to Alaska.............it was the way to go!!

BTW---we did the dog sledding/glacier tour in Skagway....it was the most memorable excursion I have ever done.........................you will need to dress warm...........we got caught in a white out!! Being from FL,I didnt have warm clothes either..............bought Lands End jackets on EBay..as well as gloves and hats.................

It was the coldest part of our trip........well, Hubbard Glacier was pretty cold too................wet and freezing!!!

But it was a really great trip............I loved Alaska..............

• 3 months later...

To Janets/SprCmp 2415

So what was your 7676 aft cabin like? Was there noise from Singapore Sling's? Would you have preferred a higher deck.

Please let me know, we are presently booked in 7176, but 1604 has opened up too.

Anyone else with thoughts -- please help!

To Janets/SprCmp 2415

So what was your 7676 aft cabin like? Was there noise from Singapore Sling's? Would you have preferred a higher deck.

Please let me know, we are presently booked in 7176, but 1604 has opened up too.

Anyone else with thoughts -- please help!

grab the deck 10 cabin ASAP.you won't be sorry, higher the better

Jimbo:)

I agree with Jimbo, deck 10 is the best. We had 1604 on Radiance in March 05 Eastern Caribbean. You can not go wrong. This balcony is long and is fairly wide. The view is great!!

Scoop

We did not get hail last night - were all set for it - moved things around to get the third car in our garage - had marble sized last Tues

Finally booked excursions today when I noticed one of our preferred times was sold out already

We booked

Juneau - Helicopter Glacier Walkabout 2:30-5:15

Skagway - White Pass Scenic Railway 8:20-11:50

Skagway - Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing 12:45-2:45 3:15 already booked

Ketchikan - Neets Bay Bear Watch Expedition 2-5Pm

We get in Vancouver on Friday early and ship sails Sat- return the following Sat and fly out on Monday - hopefully we will have enough time to see Vancouver.

Talked to guy at the tour company in Skagway that does the dogsledding to see if I could book through him. He was very nice and said the coldest to expect on glacier in July was 40 degrees which was very helpful since as you know in San Antonio, I do not have any jackets for temps much colder than that.

Will continue to check Alaska threads for excursions but at least I have something reserved - just love these boards. Confident now on keeping my Aft!

Just so you know the possiblities of what could happen on the dog sled excursion. Ours was booked in Skagway and then they were all canceled for the day due to fog. We went to Juneau the next day and I called TEMSCO at 7:45 and booked the dog sledding for 11:45. So much for having to book early. :) Anyway, it was 72 degrees F on top of that glacier. I'm glad I didn't have a jacket. I only wished I didn't have that sweatshirt, hat, gloves and scarf. The mushers were wearing shorts and T-shirts...and snow boots.

Dany,

We just got off of the Serenade June 26th and were in cabin 7176 with NO regrets. We have been on her 4 times now and this was our favorite room so far. We took a balcony guarantee and ended up there. It is a long walk down the hallway, but great exercise. :) The noise from the Safari Club, just below, was very minimal and quiet by midnight. The view was amazing...the moonlight was so much better there than a balcony on the side. We watched dolphins play in the wake and whales on each side. The balcony itself is much larger than a regular balcony. As for obstructions, you can not look straight down into the water, but that was not a problem for us....the whole view more than made up for it. It was a very quiet area. we'd take it again...anytime!

Archived