What is the catch with the drink package?

tjandluke

Has anybody else (besides me) thought that the 'All Inclusive Drinks' package that is now readily available via the net to be too cheap? and wondered what the deal is? Maybe I am just suspicious.

I do not consider myself to be a big drinker but have worked out generally what I would consume on both a sea and port day. I have included a couple of extra coffees as room service breakfast is not included anymore. I am also working this out without a current price list but it still seems too cheap. I can't see why Costa would suddenly drop their prices by such a lot. If anyone has a current price list and some time perhaps they could work put the actual cost.

Sea Day:

Morning: Coffee x 2- cappuccino/ espresso

Mid Morning: Sparkling H20 and can of Soft drink

Lunch: 1 x Glass of white wine and can of soft drink

Mid afternoon: 1 x cappuccino, Sparkling Mineral Water

Late afternoon: 2 x Cocktail (usually cocktail of the day- depending on what it is)

Dinner: 2 x white wine with dinner, 1 x sparkling water,1 x Espresso after

Late evening: 1 x mixed drink (gin/ tonic) or Bailey's on ice.

The port days would be the same with the exception of mid morning, lunch. There would be more mineral water/ soft drink as generally when back from a day out we like to sit and watch the sail away with a cool drink in hand- usually non alcoholic

I am sure that this would add up to far more that the cost of 19.50 Euro per day (including service). As Costa is in the business of making money, I can't see them reducing their drink costs.

As I said perhaps I am too suspicious!!!!

Tanya

Very suspiciously cheap - you could get drunk on a misprint;) When you consider the cost of two "J 2" cocktails at 6.99 euro and a beer at 6.99 euro that is more than 19.50 euro a day. Me thinks there is something terribly wrong. If they said 195 euro a day - that would make more sense -though over the top for sure. Interesting...........:confused::confused: I am with you Tanya - very suspicious. Unless of course it is a "coffee package" - now that would make sense

I have read the link from Ron - over and over - I would be printing it off and whizzing to the TA - and booking it. It's in black and white for all the world to see -sure enough 19.50 Euro - I'd book a cruise just to get the drink package :D:D;);)

I have read the link over and over again as well. I am sure that I am missing something somewhere- but what I can't see!

And it is a PH in NSW today so no luck with the TA until at least tomorrow. I had tentatively booked ages ago the J2 (that they offered at a heavily reduced rate as they were not doing the Ultra for Australia- I think that Costa got sick of me/ TA pestering them about it) but I have not paid for it- so I am thinking that I will change to this.

Has anybody else (besides me) thought that the 'All Inclusive Drinks' package that is now readily available via the net to be too cheap? and wondered what the deal is? Maybe I am just suspicious.

I do not consider myself to be a big drinker but have worked out generally what I would consume on both a sea and port day. I have included a couple of extra coffees as room service breakfast is not included anymore. I am also working this out without a current price list but it still seems too cheap. I can't see why Costa would suddenly drop their prices by such a lot. If anyone has a current price list and some time perhaps they could work put the actual cost.

Sea Day:

Morning: Coffee x 2- cappuccino/ espresso

Mid Morning: Sparkling H20 and can of Soft drink

Lunch: 1 x Glass of white wine and can of soft drink

Mid afternoon: 1 x cappuccino, Sparkling Mineral Water

Late afternoon: 2 x Cocktail (usually cocktail of the day- depending on what it is)

Dinner: 2 x white wine with dinner, 1 x sparkling water,1 x Espresso after

Late evening: 1 x mixed drink (gin/ tonic) or Bailey's on ice.

The port days would be the same with the exception of mid morning, lunch. There would be more mineral water/ soft drink as generally when back from a day out we like to sit and watch the sail away with a cool drink in hand- usually non alcoholic

I am sure that this would add up to far more that the cost of 19.50 Euro per day (including service). As Costa is in the business of making money, I can't see them reducing their drink costs.

As I said perhaps I am too suspicious!!!!

Tanya

We just booked the all inclusive drink package for a cruise on the Atlantica, leaving Miami on Dec 29th. It's a 10 night cruise and we paid $259.90 pp for the package. I was told by Costa that all service charges are already included, and that we could order any drink at any bar/anytime up to $7.99. Wine and beer is by the glass, and coffee as well as water/softdrinks are also included. Sounds like a great deal :D - hopefully it is!

Anne

Anne, that is an absolute bargain - go get it Tanya. too good to miss. With my luck - when we come to book - it will be gone. Though, it's not before time. The drinks have always been expensive -in my opinion of course.....though it has been well commented on over the years. So good on Costa. They only need to up the entertainment now :eek::eek::D Though people watching, making friends and enjoying good company are all priceless.

I travelled 10 monthes ago on costa concordia and purchased this j2 drink package.. i think i paid around 25 euros per day..11 night cruise.. i am not a big drinker, very similar to what you suggested, and it would have cost me 40 euros per day without the package...i treated myself to a few extra cocktails than normal.. lol plus it included drinks and cakes at the chocolate bar...great deal. the waiter on the ship told me only 5 people had this package on my ship.. i only knew about it from this forum, and because i insisted that my travel agent .thomas cook rang them to confirm and book it.

Anne, that is an absolute bargain - go get it Tanya. too good to miss. With my luck - when we come to book - it will be gone. Though, it's not before time. The drinks have always been expensive -in my opinion of course.....though it has been well commented on over the years. So good on Costa. They only need to up the entertainment now :eek::eek::D Though people watching, making friends and enjoying good company are all priceless.

You are so right, Liz, how can you NOT book a drink package at that price....... but your last sentence says it all!!

We are leaving in two days, and I will let you know how the package worked out for us when we get back:).

Anne

Update:

Have contacted my TA. Who has contacted Costa in China- waiting for time delays and for them to come back.

I have also checked out the Costa website and by logging in and using my booking number- I am able to book directly. The web site is quoting me a total of $413 Euro (1 x Adult and 1 x Child x 14 days).

The website is allowing me to book this and to also book excursions. I just have to place them into a purchase basket then checkout using a credit card. I have not completed the transaction as yet- am waiting for final clarification from China regarding inclusions of the package.

Tanya,

I do not think that there is any catch with this new all inclusive drinks package. I would suggest you get in writing what is covered by this package and take it with you, as in the past Costa's crew were not always informed about them and what was included, first with the X1 and later with the J2.

I compare this "All Inclusive beverages" package with the one being offered to German cruisers "Ultra All Inclusive" the differences are:

a. Beverage costs €19.50 / €11.00 and Ultra €20.00 /€9.00

b. The Ultra says ALL drinks upto €7.50 and in all bars and restaurants, the Beverage says includes a SELECTION of alcoholic and soft drinks.

c. To get the Ultra package, everone on the booking number must order it, on the Beverage package "*The All Inclusive beverages package must be applied to all passengers traveling together with the same booking file number and must be applied to all passengers who choose to dine together.

The last part is totally new to me, shows Costa reads such forums as CC where passengers openly boast how they get the whole dining table drinks.

I am sure that Costa have done their market research into drinks packages (otherwise the X1 and J2 would not have been refined into their latest offering).

I love the drink packages, not to get pi..ed (has been known) but not having to worry what the bill will be at the end of the cruise.

Go for it.

Ron

PS. Don't forget to take your Stubby and en empty bottle of Fosters, as the beer is served by the glass.

PPS. I onced asked an Aussie in a London pub "What's your favouite beer", he replied "Any beer". I have never ever been able to find the Any brewery. :(

I also like the drink packages as it means that more is prepaid before cruising- less need to use the CC and pay large international transaction fees. Also saves the need to take large sums of Euro T/C's (which I have used in the past to pay the onboard bill).

I also like the convenience of not needing to worry about the bill!

I was not aware of passengers dining together needing to have the same package- that must have changed. I am hoping to be assigned a large table.

PS. Don't forget to take your Stubby and en empty bottle of Fosters, as the beer is served by the glass.

PPS. I onced asked an Aussie in a London pub "What's your favouite beer", he replied "Any beer". I have never ever been able to find the Any brewery.

I am not a beer drinker as a rule- but do not like Fosters- in fact I do not know many Aussies that do!

I do intend to try the tip of mixing the white wine with coke- weird but I will give it a go at least once

Have now booked and paid for this package.

According to the email from Costa it includes drinks up to 7.50 Euro and excludes premium spirits. It also includes water, coffee, milkshakes (big on Luke's list) red/ white wine by glass, soft drinks and mocktails.

I have been told that it does not include items from the mini bar.

Thanks for the drink list babygoo - that's fantastic. As G.M.T has said previously - the "mixed" drinks can be ordered seperatley. order the spirit - pay for it - then order the mixer.

don't forget the small print............:D:D:rolleyes:

A 15% service charge is added to all bills.

It used to be included when you had the "X1" and"J2"

Can I be sure I've got this package deal right

1 You pay 19.50€ per person per day

2 This incs unlimited drinks from the the drinks list but not those with a red star

3 To get say a gin and tonic you need to make two orders ....one person orders the gin and a second orders the tonic and then you repeat it for the second person

4 Wine by the glass is inc. At dinner and lunch you can order wine but it is by the glass so you need to ensure the` waiter is topping you up or bringing more glasses

5 Coffee tea soft drinks and water are inc at lunch and dinner as well as during the day

6 Service is included so no tips are necessary

7 Are there any time limits when the offer is available on board

8 Is there anything else I have missed

Thanks

Have now booked and paid for this package.

According to the email from Costa it includes drinks up to 7.50 Euro and excludes premium spirits. It also includes water, coffee, milkshakes (big on Luke's list) red/ white wine by glass, soft drinks and mocktails.

I have been told that it does not include items from the mini bar.

I suppose if this is correct you'd need to get them separately, but the agent did not mention a limit to me, only that the drinks with the red stars weren't included. Maybe the limit is for australian folk and not Scottish folk because WE don't drink so much:D:D:D

Thanks for posting the drink list that shows the exclusions! This would work out for us and one of us does not drink alcohol :) Does anyone know if you can have the drinks delivered to your room? And if this is availiable in all the bars, coffeee bar ect?

Archived