September hurricaine?

I cruised the first week of September in 2001 and had no trouble or fear of hurricaines. I have been reading posts about avoiding cruising in September and have an irrational fear now, although I booked already for Sept. 24. I think it is irrational because i had no troubles before...

what is you 2 cents?

Last September was a particularly active hurricane season, and a lot of folks on the boards had cruises diverted or impacted by the hurricanes that pounded Florida and the Caribbean last year. If you do opt to cruise during that time, it is wise to get travel insurance for your cruise and flights so you are covered "just in case". Also, you may want to consider flying to your departure port a day earlier so you have time to reschedule flights if there is bad weather.

I am sailing at the height of hurricane season myself this year for my birthday. I will be enormously disappointed if my trip is cancelled for a hurricane, but I know the risk going in.

There is always the risk of hurricanes in the summer. Hurricane season is from June through Nov. The peak is August, Sept. and early Oct. Rare for a hurricane in June, but it does happen. Florida and the Caribbean had 3 hurricanes during the month of september last season. That was the first time that happened in years and years. We sat through 3 of them and they were fierce...all Category 4. So, yes, there is a risk of a hurricane during the month of Sept. However, the cruise lines do all the can to avoid the storm. They change ports or go out to sea. If you have to fly, that can effect your cruise also. If that is your choice, I would book, BUT I would definitely buy insurance!!!

We sailed in Sept. of 2003 and we were diverted from our scheduled route. This was the western, and instead of Grand Caymen and Cozumel, we went to San Juan. While we were very disapointed about the change, esp. since we had planned to swim with the stingrays, we had a great time. Because of the change we booked the same cruise the following May, and had a wonderful cruise. You could have the same problem, but if this cruise is what you want, be assured that the captain will keep you out of harms way( we never "felt" the hurricane). This was a chance we took, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Heathernijoli- What cruise did you book for 9/24/05? We have a roll call for that sailing on the Adventure of the Seas. If you booked on AOS you should join our roll call!

As for the hurricaine worries, I agree with the suggestions from the previous poster.

I think mostly the previous hurricanes effected the itinerary but I think few cruises were cancelled all together. As long as I'm on the ship I don't care where we go, we could just float in the middle of nowhere for a week and I'd be happy.

:D

We were on the Navigator Eastern and did not stop at the Bahamas on Sunday. Instead we stayed at sea and cruised around the Hurricane. Came in behind it and never even knew it was there.

We are booked again this September going Western on the Explorer.

The ship is a vacation in itself for us & the stops are just extra.

I expect we will see one this September and the itenerary's may be changed, but we are not worried about cancelations. They want us on the ship, they need us on the ship!

Now when I asked my TA about insurance she told me that it would not help me if there is a hurricane. RCCL will just go around the hurricane and/or go to another port. The insurance is for if you have to cancel because of a sickness or death in the family. Is this true?

We went on a "Hurricane Cruise" last Sept. and had a blast. Mariner on Spt 6th I think

We were between hurricanes and didn't know another would be coming,, (come on we had already had 2)... anyway we were without power( at home) and it was hot and iccky and everyone was getting on each others nerves. RCCI was not very good about giving us info about our upcoming cruise, and finally did the day before cruising. They told us we could get fully refunded or we could go. Hubby said fully refund ( we had five (DD DS and Sons girlfriend)in our party and we had paid for everyones tickets. But as were were sweating and cursing I said to hubby, screw this, I'm going.. so we all did The cruise left out of Miami instead of Port Canaveral, ( port can had already been hit by Charley) and our 7 day cruise would be a 5 day cruise and we had to rent a van ( trouble during this time due to problems getting fuel many stations had no power for gas pumps.) and drive to MIA. which did turn out fine. We were thrilled to get on the ship where we had air conditioning, hot good food and real coffee Yes, even RCCIs coffee is good when yoou haven't had a hot cup in days. We also got a 500.00 on board credit which paied for about a quarter of our bill,,, we did a bit of imbibing, knowing we were coming home for the next hurricane. We also got a 50% off Future cruise credit,,, which we are using MAy 8th,, for a 7 day!

We got to Grand Cayman the day before Ivan hit and it was erry( sp?). But never had bad weather and never felt motion on the ship, except the lst night coming back to Miami,, but not bad enough to stop us from having a great time.

Just go and don't worry about it. You will be safe,they aren't about to put those expensive ships at risk! and you'll be compensated if anything happens to your itinerary.

We have cruised during hurricane season and we've never hit one.

Of course, I am fairly well-known for my ability to bring good weather on vacations!! We have never had a bad weather vacation in my life. Never! I am available for hire....for the simple cost of a balcony cabin I would be happy to bring good weather to YOUR cruise! :D :D :D

We have cruised during hurricane season and we've never hit one.

Of course, I am fairly well-known for my ability to bring good weather on vacations!! We have never had a bad weather vacation in my life. Never! I am available for hire....for the simple cost of a balcony cabin I would be happy to bring good weather to YOUR cruise! :D :D :D

Where were you when we needed you????? We sat out 3 hurricanes last Sept. It was AWFUL! And much damage is still not repaired. Oh, if only you had brought your good weather luck last September!!!!!! Are you cruising this Sept. Hope so!

Moofus - We must have been on the same cruise last Sept! We cruised right between hurricanes Charley and Ivan, in fact we were one of the first flights into Miami from across the country - when we flew out from L.A. they weren't entirely sure we'd be landing in Florida later that day, but we did, and had a great cruise! It was cut short to 5 days tho, with $500 onboard credit and 50% on our next cruise (the Mexican Riviera May 8, 2005!!! who-hoo!!!). We did miss going to Jamaica because of the shortened number of days. DEFINATELY GET CRUISE INSURANCE!!!! That way you have a choice as to what to do IF the time comes. Must say, it was one of the smoothest cruises I've ever been on, couln't even tell there had been (was to come) a hurricane (or two!). No matter what, go with the flow and you WILL have a great time - WE did!

I think we went between Frances and Ivan, and came back to Jean.

BUT we are using our 50% off for a MAY 8th cruise too!!! We are on Explorer out of Miami, belize, costa maya, cozumel and GC

Are we on the same one???

Oh, too bad we won't be on the same itinerary!! We are taking the Vision to the Mexican Riviera with our two DD's (because DH and I saved 50% off our cabin!!!). Maybe we'll meet up on the next cruise to wherever!!! I don't care where we go, as long as it's on a cruise (trying to plan our next one already)!!!

• 4 weeks later...

As you are probably aware, you take your chances with hurricanes (tropical storms etc) when you book between June 1st and November 30th. People do it anyway! We've booked about half of our cruises during hurricane season and only had one tropical storm.

It's easy for me to tell you not to worry, but why waste energy this early in the year worrying about a "possible" hurricane? You'll make yourself sick! So TRY not to worry and spend the time until you cruise reading the boards and researching for your cruise. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed. :)

Now when I asked my TA about insurance she told me that it would not help me if there is a hurricane. RCCL will just go around the hurricane and/or go to another port. The insurance is for if you have to cancel because of a sickness or death in the family. Is this true?

That is true if the cruise line simply changes the route. If you don't like the change and/or decide not to go, you would have no claim.

However, delays that cause extra expense (change in air schedule, need of hotel room to wait for ship, etc.) are typically covered. Also, if RCI cancels the cruise and refunds your cruise fare (and you have 3rd party insurance), the insurance should cover any other non-refundable costs, such as air fare and hotel reservations.

So, it depends on the situation.

beachchick

Archived