Mediterranean Cruises from Venice

hawkers

We are planning a European trip in 2013! The idea is to begin with a 7 day cruise taking in Venice and parts of Greece. Where to begin? Have just noticed this cruise line. Any information would be greatly appreciated. On first look it appears the ships could be more crowded than we have experienced on Princess..would this be the case?

It looks to me with the time and itinery we may require Musica, Splendour of the Seas or the Norwegian ship Jade might be our options. Help please!

We just returned from a 9 day cruise on the MSC Magnifica. We have sailed Europe on three cruises, but this was our first MSC. While it was a little different than some cruise lines (you'll see posts about "nickle and diming" for water, food quality, etc.), we were happy with it.

It is true that they charge for water (bottled) with dinner, it is not an extraordinary cost, and inexpensive packages are available. We thought the food quality was generally good, if not great, and often found a dish on the menu that really was great.

It is a European line, and there were probably 30% Americans and the rest Europeans, but for us, that made for a very fun cruise.....we like to meet people from around the world. In my humble opinions, we Americans tend to be a little uptight, so you have to be objective and understand that not everyone behaves the same, but everyone IS there to have a good time.

Given the price of the MSC cruises, the ships are beautiful, the service is great, the iteneraries are very nice (we went to Bari, Rhodes, Haifa and Athens), and all in all, the cruise is great.

That said, last year, we sailed from Barcelona for 9 days on the NCL Jade. It was a nice ship, great service, pretty good food, good bargain. I would sail NCL again if the deal struck. My favorite part of NCL was the "free-style" concept (eat when you want, dress how you wish, etc.).

Lastly, although you don't mention them, we sailed Celebrity the prior year in the Med, and I have to tell you that, in my opinion, Celebrity cannot be beat. I have heard great things about Princess, but have never sailed them...perhaps they are on par with Celebrity.

One way or another, there are some great deals out there for Europe, so find one that meets your budget and itenerary desires, go with an open mind, and just have fun!

Thanks for the advice. We will certainly do lots more research as that's all part of the fun. We are traveling with a group or 6 and planning a 6 week trip including a week cruise! Going to be amazing as one couple hasn't left Australia!

One of reasons we did MSC Musica was MSC has the most port intensive. Port day everyday! In fact, we dock in Santorini in the morning and Mykonos in the evening in the very same day. Two ports in one day. Exhausted but loved every moment of it.

Since 2009 we have sailed Princess - the Baltic w/ St Pete overnight, NCL r/t Barcelona w/ Egypt overnight, and Cunard around the British Isles. We have now booked MSC Opera Black Sea. I found Princess to be the least favorite, their anytime dining in my opinion is utter chaos.. I book the best deal I can get for the itinerary I am looking for and go with an open mind. I happen to be a very fussy traveler and would not hesitate to book NCL and Cunard again but think twice about Princess so you never know. As others have said find the date and itinerary and keep an open mind. I'm doing that for my MSC sailing in October... Have a great trip whatever you decide...

• 11 months later...
We are planning a European trip in 2013! The idea is to begin with a 7 day cruise taking in Venice and parts of Greece. Where to begin? Have just noticed this cruise line. Any information would be greatly appreciated. On first look it appears the ships could be more crowded than we have experienced on Princess..would this be the case?

It looks to me with the time and itinery we may require Musica, Splendour of the Seas or the Norwegian ship Jade might be our options. Help please!

We are planning a family cruise on NCL Jade departing Venice on June 8. We have cruised on several on NCL’ ships and have enjoyed everyone.

Could anyone tell me if it’s safe to book return air from Marco Polo at 11:40 on June 15 with disembarkation being at 8:00am

We are planning a family cruise on NCL Jade departing Venice on June 8. We have cruised on several on NCL’ ships and have enjoyed everyone.

Could anyone tell me if it’s safe to book return air from Marco Polo at 11:40 on June 15 with disembarkation being at 8:00am

You'd be better asking this question on the NCL board. I've only arrived at Venice on MSC ships and would not risk a flight that early. On MSC people don't get off as soon as the ship docks, usually takes around an hour before the ship is cleared, luggage is taken off and the first group get off. Not sure how you're intending to get to the airport from the port? Some take about an hour. Taxis are quick but they don't do orderly queuing for them - it's a complete scrum and can take a while to grab one.

First off if you are thinking of MSC then the ships that do 7 day eastern med itinerary from Venice during the months of March throught to October are MSC Divina and MSC Fantasia. MSC Musica does an 11 day trip. I did the Divina itinerary Venice to Istanbul last Oct and really enjoyed it. There are a couple of facts to bear in mind, the times in port are relatively short, except for Istanbul, and when I was on board i was in the Ycht club so life was a little different in there.

I also sailed on the Splendour of the Seas from Venice to Athens and the Greek Islands in last August. That time I was in a Grand suit, so the two trips are very similar in style and directly comparable. RCI won out on cabin space, MSC won out on service ( remembering it was YC)

If you are used to cruising then MSC is a different experience to RCI and Norwegian and you would probably enjoy the cosmopolitan atmosphere.

If however you have only done a small number of cruises then I would go with RCI and save the MSC experience for later. NCL is great if you don't want formal nights and a large choice of eating experiences, although they come at an additional cost.

If you are travelling with under 18 year old children then MSC give the cruise fare for free provided they are sharing a cabin with two adults, they only pay air fares and taxes. This can be a significant saving.

If Istanbul is a destination of choice, and I would highly recommend it, then MSC is the line to go for as RCI and NCL don't go there.

At full capacity MSC Divina has 32 Tonnes per passenger and Splendour 35 Tonnes per passenger the same as Norwegian Jade, so on the face of it Divina could be a little more crowded, although the design of public spaces will have a large bearing on full they feel. Divina is very new and as such the layout is very good in this respect

Pete

So the major choices are:- Istanbul or not; and:- free child cruise fares

Having done 4 cruises that end in Venice I would suggest that a flight at 11:40 is too early and quite a risk. I would suggest that after 14:00 is better.

On two occassions we were held outside the port because of fog nad on each occasion we were three hours late docking.

We always plan an early evening flight as there are good left luggage facilities in venice and you get 4 - 5 hours sight seeing before leaving for the airport(typically we disembark at 8:30 - 9:00 an leave for the airport from the bus station (where the luggage office is) at 14:30 - 15:00.

Pete

Hi,

Been with two cruise lines, Princess and MSC.

Probably wouldn't sail on Princess again. Booked to go back with MSC this year. Sailed out of Venice on MSC Armonia, loved it. Sailing from same port on MSC Divina.

Go for it, you will love Venice and MSC!

Archived