Mahogany Bay to West End/West Bay

agor75

After skimming through many many threads on here I have found a lot of information on getting from the port at Coxen Hole to various places on the island, however we are cruising with Carnival which docks at Mahogany Bay. We are going to have 8 people in our party which I also feel like may be a problem with small taxis. Does anyone have any information about getting around from here? Had anyone traveled with big groups here? Or how much we should expect to pay for a taxi (Are the mini buses available from here)? Suggestions on things to do/see/places to eat etc? We want to get away from the cruise trap at the port (preferably not through a cruise excursion) and do some shopping, sightseeing and have some beach time.

Thanks so much!!

:)

These two thread may be of interest to you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1500446

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529520

With shopping, sightseeing and beach time I suggest you have a look at the tour operators, that can sort a van for your group and do pretty much anything you please. The prices are per person and I have seen as low as $20.

Bodden, Rony's and Christopher tours get the most press.

The mini bus does not run from Mahogany Bay, only from Coxen Hole. With a group this size it is not a good option.

• 1 month later...
I have the same question. There will be 7 of us and we just want get to West End and/or West Bay Beach. We don't need a tour. I can't see paying $140 or more for basically a taxi ride. How far is West End from the port?

I'd guess around 12 kilometers. Monkeylala may know exactly. MBCC is about 4 kilometers from Coxen Hole which is around 6-8 kilometers to West Bay or West End, depending on which road you take over the big hill.

Remember, one reason for taxi expense is that all gasoline is imported as refined and therefore more expensive than having refinereries nearby as in the US. You can negotiate taxi fares with drivers who park outside the cruiseport gate at MBCC (about an 400 yards walk from the entrance of the cruiseport shopping area). But you will need to arrange with the driver about return and return pick up time. You cannot negotiate with the taxis inside the cruiseport area as they pay extra for the privilege to pick up fares there.

These are reasons by booking independent tours (Bodden, Christopher, Rony, et. al.) is very cost effective: you have a driver at your service all day, he'll wait for you take you where you want to go, show you great places you'd never find on your own, etc.

It's also cost effective (albeit $$ up front) to book a place like Bananarama for the day as in addition to transportation to and from MBCC, they'll include your lounger, a locker, a shower, a drink, access to food, snorkeling and snorkel gear rental, etc. They charge about $30 pp for this service.

I have the same question. There will be 7 of us and we just want get to West End and/or West Bay Beach. We don't need a tour. I can't see paying $140 or more for basically a taxi ride. How far is West End from the port?

West End is the village/town. West Bay is the one mile stretch of beach. About a half hour walk from the town. Wouldn't rec that tho. There is a water taxi to and from those two spots..$4.00 each.

As stated, contact one of the independent tour company's ( we liked Boddentours) and they will make your day very easy. Taking cabs or a ship's excursion will be much more costly. OR if you want chairs when you get to the beach, you might do the Bananarama offer which will include those as well as the transportation. Other wise you'll pay for the chairs separate from the drivers rate. "basically a taxi ride" ? Compare to ship's excursion rates and you'll see it's a good value.

Archived