Quick Royal Caribbean travel insurance question

TravelDancer

Hi there,

This is a question from a new cruiser. (I am sure this was covered somewhere on this board, but I can't seem to find the answer). Does anyone know for sure if the travel insurance offered by Royal Caribbean covers the airline tickets as well? Specifically, if I book the cruise & air with RC and need to cancel the entire trip, will I get reimbursed?

Is this in writing somewhere? When I call the customer service line, the reps say, "yes, it's all covered," but I am doubtful.

On a related note, I am debating whether or not to purchase "travel guard" insurance in addition to the RC insurance. I have had great experiences with "travel guard" as they cover absolutely everything.

Thanks in advance for answering!

Hi there,

This is a question from a new cruiser. (I am sure this was covered somewhere on this board, but I can't seem to find the answer). Does anyone know for sure if the travel insurance offered by Royal Caribbean covers the airline tickets as well? Specifically, if I book the cruise & air with RC and need to cancel the entire trip, will I get reimbursed?

Is this in writing somewhere? When I call the customer service line, the reps say, "yes, it's all covered," but I am doubtful.

On a related note, I am debating whether or not to purchase "travel guard" insurance in addition to the RC insurance. I have had great experiences with "travel guard" as they cover absolutely everything.

Thanks in advance for answering!

I always purchase travel insurance but NEVER through the cruiseline. You can get better coverage with better rates other places.

Try www.insuremytrip.com and compare policies. I always get Travelex because it will serve as "primary" carrier whereas most others are "secondary". If you have any questions just give them a call, they will be glad to help you sort it all out.

Happy sailing!!!

Look at the sticky on the top of the CruiseAir board. Most people will only book air thru the cruiselines if it is a very good deal and the timing is right.

Seems like CruiseAir gets the dregs of the seats and times. Best to fly in the day before the cruise.

If you cancel your trip due to a covered reason the plan provides the following:

"The CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver Program waives the non-refundable

cancellation provision of your cruise ticket contract and pays you the value of the unused

portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the event that you or your traveling companion

need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons)."

The question then becomes what is a "cruise vacation"? When you look in the definitions section of the plan wording you find the following:

Cruise Vacation” means a trip for which coverage has been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Royal Caribbean International prior to the Scheduled Departure Date of the trip. Also covered by this definition are any direct round trip air flights booked by others to and from the scheduled Cruise Vacation departure and return cities, provided the dates of travel are within 14 total days of the scheduled land tour or cruise dates."

So, yes, if RCI is making your air, hotel, or transfer arrangements and you have to cancel the trip the premium that you paid would cover the full total cost of those arrangements.

By the way, even if you make your own air arrangements the plan includes the following:

"PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air....................................Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air........................Up To 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost

PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation For Independently Booked Air

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule, if you are prevented from taking your Covered Cruise Vacation due to your, an Immediate Family Member's, Traveling Companion's, or Business Partner's Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Cruise Vacation.

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefits For Independently Booked Air

We will reimburse you, up to the amount in the Schedule for the amount of prepaid, non-refundable, and unused Payments or Deposits

So for those who never consider using the cruise line insurance, you may be missing out on a great deal. 1) For those in the upper age brackets you're not penalized for being older -- you pay the same as someone that's 30. 2) Because you're not charged an additional premium to insure your independently booked air your total cost to insure cruise+air may indeed be lower than using a third-party insurer. 3) You automatically get some "cancel for any reason" protection at no additional cost.

Definitaly shop around but not considering the cruise line plans can be an expensive mistake.

We also don't take the cruise lines insurance. We use a comparison site, which is pretty simple to use to compare cost. Our cruise is fairly the same price give or take a hundred dollars or two, so we budget the extra $100 for the insurance when planning. We purchase within the time limit for pre-existing conditions, and get the cancel for any reason add-on.

TravelDancer, I would stay with Travel Guard, I always purchase their Gold Plan. It's a fair price for excellent coverage, and they offer important optional coverages as well. My one claim experience with them was excellent. Purchasing the cruiseline's insurance and Travel Guard is not necessary. While Royal Caribbean's Vacation Protection Plan may be adequate in some cases, keep in mind the coverage being offered. Their $25,000 emergency evacuation limit is minimal at best, in many situations that a cruise vacation itinerary involves.

And I would guess that many cruisers aren't aware that the policy doesn't go into effect until it is actually paid for, not just added to your booking with your cruise deposit. This is from the RCI website: The plan cost may be paid at any time from deposit up to and including final payment; however, the CruiseCare Cancellation and Interruption Penalty Waiver takes effect only upon payment of the plan cost in addition to any required cruise deposit. Payment of your cruise fare deposit amount without the plan cost will not activate this program.

Archived