London for a first Timer.

Are there any of these that you would recommend, please? :D

Not from personal experience:halo:.

To the OP - there are some nice pubs in St James's.

http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/az/piccadilly/211?rating=4&doFilter=1&feature%5B%5D=7 should give you some ideas.

The Studio Lounge above Waterstone's book shop is quite nice. http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Shopping/Waterstones/9f4f/

Not from personal experience:halo:.

To the OP - there are some nice pubs in St James's.

http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/az/piccadilly/211?rating=4&doFilter=1&feature%5B%5D=7 should give you some ideas.

The Studio Lounge above Waterstone's book shop is quite nice. http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Shopping/Waterstones/9f4f/

Great advice

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A gastropub and a cocktail

Bar is perfect

The Mint Leaf towards the bottom of Haymarket has a long cocktail bar - http://www.mintleaflondon.com/piccadilly/cocktailbar Or there is, of course, the Rivoli Bar at the Ritz if you want to dress up and spend £20+ per drink [emoji846]

My favourite pub round there would be the Red Lion in Duke of York Street (just off Jermyn Street), which is tiny so be prepared to stand outside if the weather is good. Also the Chequers in Duke Street St James’s.

I can’t think of anywhere in the area I would describe as a gastropub, but maybe you mean good pub food? Either of the above, if you can get a table, or the Clarence in Dover Street maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Mint Leaf towards the bottom of Haymarket has a long cocktail bar - http://www.mintleaflondon.com/piccadilly/cocktailbar Or there is, of course, the Rivoli Bar at the Ritz if you want to dress up and spend £20+ per drink [emoji846]

My favourite pub round there would be the Red Lion in Duke of York Street (just off Jermyn Street), which is tiny so be prepared to stand outside if the weather is good. Also the Chequers in Duke Street St James’s.

I can’t think of anywhere in the area I would describe as a gastropub, but maybe you mean good pub food? Either of the above, if you can get a table, or the Clarence in Dover Street maybe.

This maybe sacrilegious to Londoners but I don't like Indian food and I heard that most of the popular restaurants serves Indian food. I would rather settle for fish and chips. I was thinking if going to Covent Garden or Burrough market would be the best places to try other popular dishes. Am I right?

This maybe sacrilegious to Londoners but I don't like Indian food and I heard that most of the popular restaurants serves Indian food.
Indian restaurants, including the most popular Indian restaurants, serve Indian food.

If you avoid them, you'll be able to avoid Indian food.

Is it possible to visit the Tower of London, St Pauls Cathedral and Westminster Cathedral from a HOHO bus in one day? We will have 1 full day in London prior to our cruise and will be staying at the Doubletree by Hilton London-Victoria. What HOHO bus company would you recommend?

Tube is faster, you'll be waiting longer for the bus. You should be able to do it all.

I need a recomendation about an afternoon tea in london

Everyone says claridges, but we r doing the Sherlock Holmes tea at the st James court, it just looks so cool. But the savoy and the ritz are also supposed to be wonderful, also the tea at st James is only 40 others are far more expensive.

This maybe sacrilegious to Londoners but I don't like Indian food and I heard that most of the popular restaurants serves Indian food. I would rather settle for fish and chips.

What an odd thing to say [emoji846] There are dozens of good restaurants in London, only some of which serve Indian food. I recommended Mint to the other poster for the long cocktail bar, not the restaurant.

What an odd thing to say [emoji846] There are dozens of good restaurants in London, only some of which serve Indian food. I recommended Mint to the other poster for the long cocktail bar, not the restaurant.

My apologies. I knew it will come out as an odd comment. What I meant was I heard that London is a mecca for Indian Restaurants. I am just not fond of Indian food. Just asking for recommendations for other food place If all else fails, pretty sure there is a MacDonalds around the corner.

My apologies. I knew it will come out as an odd comment. What I meant was I heard that London is a mecca for Indian Restaurants. I am just not fond of Indian food. Just asking for recommendations for other food place If all else fails, pretty sure there is a MacDonalds around the corner.

From Piccadilly Circus it is a short walk up Shaftesbury Avenue then turn right into Wardour Street to get to Chinatown (IMHO the better restaurants are in Lisle Street rather than Gerrard Street).

You weren’t wrong, take away (or sit down) Indian cuisine is popular in London, I think it’s just become cliche in British telly or films as in “I’m making a curry tonight” or some such line. I see it over and over again.

Most recently when I visited I had to walk a bit further from where I stayed before I stumbled across an Indian take away, passing along the way a few pubs, Italian, cafe, a grill (salads & healthier type things) Japanese, and there was a fish and chips but it was nearer to the curry place & so not as close but still walkable. I think the Dorchester was nearer but alas, not in the budget :eek:

London cuisine has come far from the years of being not well known as compared to other cities in the world or the States. There are many great places to eat of high and ordinary station that you can sample any of which might thrill you in their own way.

For the haute cuisine, always best for reservations we’ll in advance but for the other experiences, less or no planning required. Be adventurous (to the extent your stomachs permit) and discover places as you wander. If you get word of someplace that sounds great, reserve a table for the evening.

Perhaps peruse an online guide or read articles on London dining to get a better idea of the current state and then, combined with a bit of adventurousness, you’ll have a great strategy for your meals whilst in London. Maybe scratch McDonalds off the list for sure!! That’s for when there’s nothing around for days which will never happen in this amazing city! Enjoy :)

You weren’t wrong, take away (or sit down) Indian cuisine is popular in London, I think it’s just become cliche in British telly or films as in “I’m making a curry tonight” or some such line.
As popular as Indian food is (given that it is no longer regarded as foreign cuisine - nor is Chinese food), I would hazard a guess that Indian restaurants account for fewer than 1 in 20 restaurants in London. Possibly far fewer.

People will routinely have a curry precisely because it's not foreign food any more. Like chop suey is to the US, there are plenty of dishes on the menus of Indian restaurants in the UK that simply cannot be found on the Indian subcontinent because they are unknown there.

Just asking for recommendations for other food place
Give us a clue, perhaps, as to what you do like rather than what you don't? Edited by Globaliser

We have plans to visit Greenwich Market and Borough Market

Any advice there?

Mosto go do not miss?

Both Greenwich Market and Borough Market are small enough that if you give yourself two or three hours, you will literally be able to see everything.

At Borough Market, my two main pieces of advice would be to (a) eat; and (b) be adventurous. There's so much good food there.

Borough market is great for street food. Its produce prices are quite high but it is good for finding some more obscure ingredients. You may need to check their opening hours - they used to be a bit odd.

BTW - the Market Porter pub by Borough market is good.

There is also a good street food 'market' on the South Bank behind the Festival Hall.

Also plenty of good restaurants at Borough Market, if the street food scene is not your thing. Something for everyone, including non-curry (but plenty of other spices, such as Arabica).

The market pubs are OK, but a walk down Borough High Street takes you to the George Tavern, an historic galleried Inn. Or the Royal Oak in Tabard Street is a proper London pub (albeit restored rather than truly original).

An unusual attraction nearby is the Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garret, still surviving in all the modern development round about. http://oldoperatingtheatre.com

I remember when the Borough Market was a proper wholesale fruit and veg market, open in the very early hours, followed by pints and breakfast in the pubs at 6-30am (bona fide market employees only, of course...ahem). It has been brilliantly redeveloped and reinvented, of course, but I do miss the old Borough [emoji846]

As popular as Indian food is (given that it is no longer regarded as foreign cuisine - nor is Chinese food), I would hazard a guess that Indian restaurants account for fewer than 1 in 20 restaurants in London. Possibly far fewer.

People will routinely have a curry precisely because it's not foreign food any more. Like chop suey is to the US, there are plenty of dishes on the menus of Indian restaurants in the UK that simply cannot be found on the Indian subcontinent because they are unknown there.

Give us a clue, perhaps, as to what you do like rather than what you don't?

I really have no clue what your typical English food is other than fish and chips. That is the reason why except for Indian food, I wanted other recommendations. But please , That is fine. when we get there, we will eat whatever that will fancy us, since London is an international city when it comes to gourmet among other things, I am sure we will find something interesting other than Indian food.

I first came upon the Borough Market literally by accident in 2006 on a solo day layover in London, when I made a "wrong" turn on the South Bank. And I've been sure to make that same accident on every single trip since :-)

Recommendation - every year, a higher and higher percentage of visitors seem to know about the market, so it gets unbelievably tight to navigate at high times. If you are more than a couple, I recommend pairing off and picking a place to meet once you've procured food. And you may need to pick something a bit of a walk away if you want to sit comfortably and eat your food.

But we always have it on our list, and have already planned for it to be our "landing day" lunch when we arrive in 6 weeks for our British Isles cruise (this is the first cruise for most of our group, and only the second for the rest. But we've all been to London many times).

Also plenty of good restaurants at Borough Market, if the street food scene is not your thing. Something for everyone, including non-curry (but plenty of other spices, such as Arabica).

The market pubs are OK, but a walk down Borough High Street takes you to the George Tavern, an historic galleried Inn. Or the Royal Oak in Tabard Street is a proper London pub (albeit restored rather than truly original).

An unusual attraction nearby is the Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garret, still surviving in all the modern development round about. http://oldoperatingtheatre.com

I remember when the Borough Market was a proper wholesale fruit and veg market, open in the very early hours, followed by pints and breakfast in the pubs at 6-30am (bona fide market employees only, of course...ahem). It has been brilliantly redeveloped and reinvented, of course, but I do miss the old Borough [emoji846]

I am older than you I guess - I remember when Covent Garden was a wholesale fruit and veg market with the flower market in the middle in front of the Royal Opera House. One of the great sights was to see the toffs in full fig, mixing with the porters and market vendors. At about 4am it all came to a stop and the pubs were still open.

Oh, and for a fun and different lunch near Victoria, check in the Victoria Arcade for Aetna Coffee (http://www.etnacoffee.net/). While it says "coffee", the REAL stars of the show are the Arancini, Sicilian rice/cheese/filling balls coated in breadcrumbs and fried. They were incredible. And the owners were so very welcoming and great to our kids. One thing that caught me is that we were the only people in the shop _not_ speaking Italian, including the customers. Big thumbs up from our whole crew.

(Looks like they now have a second location in Marylebone, too; we've only been to the Victoria Arcade location)