Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

It's a little more than a month away, and not a peep from Capital Jazz. If I were looking to book my excursions through them, I'd be going crazy. We won't be the only ship in St Maarten that day, so there's a possibility some on-island activities may sell out. They said they were going to offer a horseback riding excursion in St Maarten, but there's only one stable that I know of, and they only have so many horses.

Go ahead and jump on me for "complaining" but like I said earlier, I'm posting my opinions about Capital Jazz, and since this is America, I'm entitled to freely voice my opinion. People who may be considering a jazz cruise in the future should have more than just the over-the-top raves from other posters.

So glad to see I'm not the only one concerned. I don't think I'd book another Capital Jazz cruise if they paid me. There are so many options for having a good time, so I'm not at a loss for fun things to do.

I've already decided I'm going to the DC Jazz Festival next year, because that's more my thing. I think my cabinmates on this cruise will agree with me. We weren't familiar with it, though, before we booked this cruise. The "Jazz Times" magazine had an article listing all/most of the jazz festivals, and that's how I found out about the DC Jazz Festival. I thought the DC Jazz Festival was the Capital Jazz Fest, until I saw them listed separately in the magazine.

Oh well. This cruise will be a good way for my me to hook up with my girlfriend, and we always have a good time. In fact, I'm thinking I should start charging people to travel with me, because the demand for my company has gotten so great, LOL! I have a waiting list for people who want to join me on my November cruise.:D

I also am a little confused why I haven't received my booking number for SJC by now. They could really take some pointers from the Tom Joyner and Reach MEdia on what system they are using to book. I booked a cruise with TOm Joyner on the FV and I when I completed my payment I knew my cabin number and received a email confirmation. This is how you do business...But I wont complain like MS. 411 beacuse we have choices when we travel and vacate.

Private full charters with Carnival are handle differently then a regular cruise (fyi, this year Tom Joyner switched from Royal Caribbean to Carnival so it should be handled. In a like fashion in terms of reservation engines).Capital Jazz turns over their final manifest to Carnival about 3 weeks out, (i would suspect per the contract), Carnival. In turns, assigns a Carnival booking number..you will receive an email from Capital Jazz with your Carnival booking number and you then go online to do your FunShip Pass registration. Everyone receives their info at the exact same time so we all have equal access to onboard services (spa etc.)

In terms of Carnival sponsored shore excursions, there is a system in place that ensures coordination of slots with the designated contracted vendors (private, non contracted tour operators are a different story, you are on your own), just like a normal cruise, so you are not missing out. Capital Jazz is offering additional exclusive excursions (i.e. deep sea fishing with Nick Colionne), which are above and beyond Carnival's normal offerings. and past SuperCruise history has shown they sell out within hours of offerings.

Folks that have been on previous SuperCruises understand the process so know what to expect in terms of timing and everything seems to work out ok in the end. This year we were able to confirm a specific cabin at time of booking (new) and will receive the performance schedule a month out so we can better plan our warobe packing (last year we got it less then a week out)..every year the process gets better based upon guests feedback and operational experience

"In terms of Carnival sponsored shore excursions, there is a system in place that ensures coordination of slots with the designated contracted vendors (private, non contracted tour operators are a different story, you are on your own), just like a normal cruise, so you are not missing out."

What the heck does that mean? I want to know which excursions are offered on this cruise. For full ship charters like this one, will the Carnival excursions that are offered on the islands we're visiting be available, or is Capital Jazz making the decision as to which excursions they want to offer?

They mentioned a horseback riding excursion on St Maarten. Well, I'd like to know how much, because we've already booked a horseback riding excursion. If the ship tour is cheaper (which is sometimes the case), we would do the excursion through Carnival instead of direct.

For day sail excursions, you really have to reserve in advance, because these are very popular and sell out quickly. With such short notice, if the ship excursion (if they even offer one) sells out, you may not be able to book a private sail.

If I only wanted to see musicians, I'd go to a jazz festival on land. I want to experience what the islands have to offer, but that seems to be getting lost on this cruise.

I Googled theme cruises, and I notice that the posted articles on the first few pages give very little information as to what a full-ship theme cruise really involves. After this cruise, I'm going to post detailed info about theme cruises, because there doesn't seem to be a good article or post about the differences between this type of cruise and a regular cruise.

This has been a real learning experience for me.

The private entity that enters into a full charter contract with a cruise line for a specific ship for a specific week works with the cruise line to determine which ports of call, which onboard services they want and what the daily schedule will be (all safety and security issues are still control by the cruise line and the Captain ).

The normal menu of shore excursions that Carnival offers at each of our ports of call have been offered on each of the past two SuperCruises that I have been on and I see no reason for that to change. What is different is that Capital Jazz offers unique outings with some of the artists based upon their passions (fishing, golfing, shopping etc.)which provides yet another opportunity to interact with your favorite artists on a more intimate level. The other difference is that shore excursion times may be altered based upon a scheduled concert (i.e. last year FourPlay performed on the lido deck at 4 pm in Cozumel, we were not scheduled to leave until 7pm). Once you receive your email with your Carnival booking #, you will see all of your options. One has the best of both worlds, you experience the islands on port days and immersed in incredible music on full days at sea and every night and you will be surrounded by 2999 fellow cruisers that love and support live music performances.

Your comment indicating that "if you wanted to see musicians, you would go to a jazz festival on land" and " you want to experience what the islands have to offer" gives me the "sense" that perhaps you did not understand why you and your cabinmates are paying so much more $$$$ then on a normal cruise.

You are paying a premium for the opportunity to not only see them perform but to interact with them in various settings and be immersed in the music for 8 days/nights. The reason why you are on the ship is for the music and the artists, ports of call are secondary.

This is not your "normal" cruise, and I hope that you and your cabinmates attend the friday night pre-cruise party at the Marriot and meet your fellow cruisers (about 75% have been on a previous SuperCruise) and find out why so many, once they experience one full charter music theme cruise, they never go back to a "regular" cruise (we would all be bored out of our minds).

I encourage you to embark on this adventure with an open mind and enjoy what it has to offer

FYI..there is no "playbook" about full charter theme cruises. Each is tailored to the unique interest of the specific group and the specifications of the promoter. My brother goes on the High Seas Biker Cruise (motorcycle lovers) every year which is 180 degrees different then the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage. According to cruise theme finders website there are over 500 full charter or large groups theme cruise sailings every year, which should is an indication of how popular they are. Theme cruises also have the highest repeat % in the industry

Pfunk, I was only posting when the band Third

World be performing since I happened to see their schedule on their website. A lot of my friends really like them, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do with the band that they'd appreciate. I'll print photos of them regardless so they can post them in their places of business.

Sigh. I see on CJ's facebook page that they've posted ONE of the excursions, the fishing trip with Nick, and there's a link so you can register online.

They're going to announce their excursions one by one? Just the other day they said the lineup schedule and the excursions would be emailed to us in early Oct.

I feel like I'm going to be on the Capricious Jazz Cruise.:(

Archived