Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

Thanks for the feedback!! I'm really looking forward to it.

Have a few more q's...

Can you explain the difference between a lounge show and a main show? Is the late main show longer sometimes because of less of a time constraint? Are you allowed to take pictures with the artists?

Do you still have your old schedule so I can get a better idea of how the day/concerts are set up?

I've been on Tom's cruise and really enjoyed it, but I feel the Capital Jazz SuperCruise is the much better value for my $$$$$....most folks that have been on both that I have spoken with agree with my view...I attended Tom's family reunion last year and loved it and thought it was a great value and would go again...the SuperCruise is much more a vacation experience with more of the artists that I enjoy with much more interaction with the artists..would be very interested in your perspective after your experience with Capital Jazz

There will be several venues to hear the artists...the main showroom seats 1450 (half the ship) the lounge seats 500, the atrium (which goes from deck 3-8) can hold 500, the underground lounge seats 250, the piano bar maybe 75, the lido pool deck can hold everyone...there will be artists playing at the same time in the lounge, the atrium, the underground lounge and the piano bar as well as the main showroom which is where the midnight jam session is held...so you will have many options either before or after dinner...George Clinton, Chuck Brown, Brand New Heavies will be on the lido deck..at some point during the cruise all of the artists will show up at one of the midnight jam sessions and most will do a q&a session where they will sign cd's and take pics with you...most of the artists will be with us all 8 days so you will see them around the ship and on shore excursions and they are very approachable...there is no flash photography allowed during the performances so invest or borrow a good digital SLR camera with a zoom lens and you will be fine..there is open seating at all the shows and no seat saving which works out well...you will receive an email about two weeks before the cruise that will give you the entire week performance skj., including which venue and a list of theme nights..my cabin mate brings bottle water and has not had a problem...folks who try to sneak alcohol in their luggage if caught wind up having it taken and given back at the end of the cruise..the main shows are about 90 minutes (2 artists), the lounge shows 45 minutes(1artist) and Capital Jazz does a good job in keeping things on schedule...the midnight jam sessions can go on till 2am, and Chuck Brown is still playing on the lido deck as I type this (lol)..the gospel showis awesome (we had Fred Hammond last year)Sinbad had everyone on the floor on comedy night and we had Savion Glover tapping to George Duke playing Dukey Stick

I went on the Supercruise for the first time this past October. It was my first cruise overall and I can tell you it is a experience of a lifetime. I will definately be back this year. I can't imagine going on a regular cruise. The artist were so personable. It was like everyone on the ship was one big happy family. There is so much to do that you won't be able to do it all but it was certainly fun trying. I'm counting down for this year.

These types of music cruises are highly addictive and it is impossible to do everything the first time...when you look at the pics on the website and figure out all the activities you missed, then you go the next year and try them..also you make friends and look forward to seeing them next year..capital jazz does a survey 48 hours after you get home that asked which artists that were on the cruise this year that you would like to see next year (Ken Ford, Frank McComb, Nick Colionne,), they invite popular artists that were on prior SuperCruises (Will Downing, Boney James, Earl Klugh), artists that were a hit at the Capital Jazz Festival (Oleta Adams, Brand New Heavies, Dwele)...artists that have never performed on a supercruise (3 Mo Tenors, Nnenna Freelon, George Clinton) and invite 8-9 neo soul artists that are hot right now...formula is working because the ship sells out and about 60 -70% are very satisfied repeat cruisers

20 years ago it was just one option, Festival At Sea (still going strong at 20 years), then Tom Joyner started his Fantastic Voyage, add the folks who do the Smooth Jazz Cruise, The Jazz (straight ahead) Cruise, Malt Shop Memories Cruise (50-60's doo wop) and new for Feb. 2013 The Soul Train Cruise (we are booked), add Dave Koz and Friends (we are book for the 2013 version sailing from Rome), Kenny G. is doing a full charter to Alaska,

and my beloved Capital Jazz SuperCruise and you can OD on great music and wind up in the poor house

It's a no brainer if you run the numbers..if you attended more then 2 concerts or festivals per year, when you add up the cost, (tickets,gas,food,babysitting,parking) you get to see 35-40 artists that perform multiple times, you get to meet them and hang out with them and have an incredible cruise as a bonus, it foesn't get any better

The Smooth Jazz Cruise was here yesterday, and I was disappointed that I couldn't hear any jazz music from or near the ship. A few people were sitting at the al fresco bar near the ship, but not many.

The other dock on St Thomas has more activity including a popular sunset party on Wed nights. There were two other ships at that dock, so I'm sure many people from those ships were at the party.

Kind of glad I wasn't on that cruise!

Usually, when the charters are in port, there is no musical activity....when we were in Cozumel, having FourPlay perform was an exception, and I guess if there was a really good breeze, you could hear the music beyond the port areas

I know on The Blues Cruise and The Jam Cruise there are scheduled performances on land by the artists to help raise funds for a specific charity

I wonder why the Smooth Jazz Cruise was in port for so long??? They were scheduled to leave at midnight, and if nothing was going on on the ship, they may as well have been at sea.

The Jam Cruise??? Never heard of that one! Will be googling in just a few...

hattack, I told Stephanie at Capital Jazz how helpful you are on cruisecritic.

Thanks for the compliment...not sure, but they may have arranged a private concert at a resort for the evening and had transportation..a. few years ago on the Tom Joyner cruise we had an Erika Badu concert in Grand Turk..next year on The Smooth Jazz Cruise they overnight in a port and advertise George Benson will do a performance there

If you are going on The SuperCruise, chances are you would not be a fan of The Jam cruise music and artists....I do have friends that go on The Jam cruise every year and they are as passionate about their cruise as I am about ours...we are planning to meet in the middle and do the Blues Cruise one year together

I see Stanley Clarke and George Duke have been added...the line up just keeps getting better..I'm hoping they add Larry Graham and Graham Central Station, Con Funk Shun and Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenuepp

hattack, you're right! I looked at The Jam Cruise, and didn't recognize one artist. They only had two ports, too, so that's a no-go for me.

I don't think my heart could take it if they added Larry Graham. There's only so much excitement I can take in a week.

I've wanted to do the Blues Cruise, because they are so much fun when they're here, but nobody I know is remotely interested. There are several people from here, though, who are very active with that group, but I don't know them personally.

Hmmm, Stephanie didn't ask me about reserving the hotel. I'd better check on that today before it's sold out!

Hilton FLL Marina is the host hotel, I've stayed there before and it is beautiful...you can book thru the Capital Jazz SuperCruise website and there is a special rate for $149 using the code...the pre cruise party is there and a free shuttle to the ship...the hotel,airport, and cruise terminal are all very close to each other...I'm currently doing research on jazz clubs in the area...book your hotel now but there will be overflow hotels...thr Hilton has a great spa and close to the beach so its another great reason to come in a day early and relax and be stress free for thd cruise...fyi breakfast is included with the package

Larry Graham was at this past Capital Jazz Festival and was amazing!!!!!! if we are lucky enough to have him on the ship, I am sleeping on deck the night before so I can have a prime spot for his concert

I really want yo do The Blues Cruise

Sounds good. I'll try to book this weekend.

Hmmm, let me check meetup.com for meetups in the area.

Thanks, again, for all your tips. If you drink rum, I'll be happy to bring you some in Oct! You treat me to a drink, and I'll treat you to a bottle!:D

It does sound like a good club, but I would have other interests in that part of FL, so I don't think I could squeeze that one in. I don't think I can do the pre-cruise party and local clubs on this trip.

Um, you didn't answer my question about the rum. If you don't imbibe, that's OK. I'll probably bring a few bottles for those that do, because I always travel with some locally brewed spirits as improptu gifts. I can bring some other local item if you're one of those "purists."

I'm going to San Juan next week, so I'll make it a point to visit Carli's Jazz Club in Old San Juan. He used to play with the Beach Boys, so that should be interesting. I'll probably do a salsa excursion, too, but I'll post a link of the review.

And, it wasn't great minds this time! You mentioned jazz clubs, and I happened to find one. I don't know what the flight schedule will be at that time, so I may not even get there until Saturday. The cruise is still a long way off!

Kansas City is one of the oldest city where jazz originated and well known for that. Look at Charlie Parker, Count Basie. Note that Chicago, St. Louis and New York rank among the next best places. Lots of good bands come from Chicago.

Yes you do...about 3 weeks before our cruise, you will receive an email from Capital Jazz with your Carnival booking #, which you will use to do your sign and sail pre registration, spa appointments and shore excursions and there will be a spot to enter your past guest number...since this is a private full charter, if you try to do anything with Carnival prior to receiving the email from Capital Jazz, Carnival will refer you back

When you check in the day of sailing there is not a separate check in for Carnival loyalty elite status (there is a separate area for artists, musicians and technical staff)...your sign and sail card will have SuperCruise 6 on it...however your sign and sail card will be in the correct color to reflect your loyalty status level...the system works very well because you arrive in waves in busses from the host hotel..if you fly in the day of (saturday), Capital Jazz provides free shuttles directly to the cruise terminal from both MIA and FLL airports. At the end of the cruise, Capital Jazz provides the service (last year it was $20) where on the last night you can check your bag,leave it outside your cabin and pick up when you arrive at your home airport. You also receive a boarding pass for all segments. You will be given a sheet with all the information and carriers 2-3 nights before. Since FLL is thcruise capital of the world and the airport will be very busy, this is a nice perk

Capital Jazz does an excellent job of communicating all of this information via their monthly newsletters by email and as the cruise gets closer, the frequency off the newsletters may increase. You can also make your reservations for SuperCruise 7 while you are onboard this years cruise. Capital Jazz also staffs a customer service desk on deck 5 that works very closely with the guest relations desk on deck 3 to resolve day to day challenges. For our cruise the regular Carnival Cruise Director interfaces with the Capital Jazz staff to assist and be a liason. All of the activities onboard are led by the SuperCruise host staff. The Carnival staff loves these full charter music cruises. It is a nice break for them, they enjoy the incredible music and the guests are much more mellow then on a regular cruise. On our first day when I meet our assigned cabin person, I find out who their favorite performing artists are who are on the cruise and at the cd signing have the artists sign a cd for them and leave it for my cabin person in the morning while they are cleaning our cabin along with my daily thank you note and $2.00 on top of the towels that I put on top of the down toilet seat (my Mom was a chamber maid in a big hotel and I remembered how she had to bend over to pick up use towels on the floor)..fyi, all your gratuites are prepaid in your fare..I always leave a thank you note and $2 as a way of honoring my Mom

Archived