Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

Thanks Myrtlewood, I just did my registration and I did use the group code you gave. I did not think it would hurt to try and win something. lol...:D

GREAT, you will enjoy the cruise. We had so much fun. However, unlike others, we did not stay up entirely too late. There were midnight jam sessions but we have two children, they were 3 and 5. I wanted relaxation and plenty of rest. Yet, had a blast. We had an interior cabin, it was completely dark and no noise.

Encourage your family and friends to join you!!!

Thanks for backing me up, Myrtlewood! hattack is our only contact with Capital Jazz so far.

Communication this year from Capital Jazz is awful. We have called only to hear, "You must have deleted it, 99% of people I spoke with deleted the email." Stating the email subject title may have fooled people into thinking it was junk. But nobody can see the email in their trash box either. lol

My spouse is very professional and somewhat irritated with the communication issues. Capital Jazz is really ruining my future cruises.

Overall, the cruise was awesome and have maintained contact with several people. We traveled to D.C. for the Fest last year and stayed with a couple we met on the cruise. And you will meet others with great benefits and opportunities to network.

On a regular cruise cabin type and location are very critical because one will spend alot of time in it to rest,relax, enjoy the balcony and get away from the masses. On this cruise, you will spend very little time in your cabin, especially on full days at sea, because of all the concerts and music related activities. This is not the type of cruise one would go on for alot of down time or rest.However, with Will Downing, Peabo Bryson and Gary Taylor singing love songs it should be romantic for the ladies.

We are going to the Southern Caribbean this year with ports that alot of guests have never visited before, plus there should be fewer ships in port at the same time (unlike when on SuperCruise 4, in St. Thomas when there were 8 other ships in port with us), which should mean good shopping,beach time, and fewer guests remaining on the ship when we are in port

I thoroughly enjoyed St. Thomas, bought jewelry for a excellent price.

You are correct, we were out of our cabin alllllllll day. Did you enjoy Grand Turk, Ms. Margarita contest? What did you think? lol

I remember the email that came into my trash box and I almost deleted it without reading and thought that it was strange because my filter is set up so that emails from them go into my in box. I bet that they will receive alot of frank feedback in their post cruise feedback survey about communication. In the past, they have responded to feedback very quickly (i.e. the midnight jam session issue which resulted in moving from the 500 seat lounge to the 1500 seat main showroom). The sign of a good organization is to provide an explanation and apology in their very next communication (newsletter or invoice). Hopefully, they will fix this issue quickly, so we can all continue to focus on building excitement for our cruise. My pre-cruise communications experience with them in my two prior SuperCruises were excellent, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.Most folks who do these types of cruises are making plans now for 2013, and there are alot of options out there, so it's in Capital Jazz best interest.....

We LOVED Grand Turk and when we were diverted there last year because of the weather, we were sooooooooooooo happy!!!! It was ironic that the Carnival Freedom was diverted there the same day we were so we could see our ship for this year. Next time I go(The Soul Train Cruise Feb. 2013) , I want to visit "Da Conch Shack" Have you been there?

Great question...if you are looking for the normal Carnival things you would order pre cruise for a regular cruise..once Capital Jazz turns the manifest over to Carnival and we receive a Carnival booking number (that you use to book spa appointments, shore excursions etc.) you can pre-order Carnival gift baskets etc. This should occur 2-3 weeks before we sail and we will receive an email from Capital Jazz with notification

If you are asking about Capital Jazz SuperCruise teeshirts, hats, cd's of the artists etc.,you will be able to purchase once we sail. Prior cruises we have not been able to pre order, but hopefully based upon post cruise feedback surveys, they will develop a process to do it this year. The "hot" item is the teeshirt and popular sizes and colors are sold out the first night that we sail, which has resulted in post cruise orders that arrive around Christmas. The challenge has been, that some folks have purchased 6-8 teeshirts apiece instead of 1-2.

A pre-order process would ensure better inventory management control and guest satisfaction. Make sure you order your teeshirt, one size larger then what you normally wear (especially for females, I learned that the hard way). Inside tip, if we can't pre-order, make sure to be at the shop, when it opens right after we sail on Saturday (around 6 pm). It' charged to your sign/sail card

Most artists bring trunks of their cd's to sell, and you can purchase in one of the ship's stores. You can also purchase cd's after each artists performance and they will sign and take pics. Inside tip, several of the artists will hold q&a sessions in the atrium during the week, which is a good place to have a pic,sign cd's, and ask them questions. On full days. at sea, if the sessions are in the morning, depending on the artists, the crowds are much smaller (everyone is on the lido deck sunning or staking out a spot for the noon concert). Most artists who have fan clubs, will also hold a private fan club gathering.

One of the great treats of the SuperCruise is the "Underground Lounge" which showcases up and coming neo soul and jazz artists. I had never really heard of Eric until the cruise and he was awesome, so I was very glad he was invited back this year. Now when I hear his music on the radio, my ears perk up!!!!!!

Last year Eric held a workshop in the atrium on one of our sea days in the morning about his creative process in writing his music. Phil Perry (I love his music) joined him and together they made up a song, on the spot. It was incredible!!!!!! On 70's night Eric channeled Marvin Gaye, singing " What's Going On".

The room on the ship that features most of the Underground Lounge artists is really like a jazz club that holds maybe 150-200. It is packed every night and very often some of the more famous artists will perform an unannounced duet.

They have not announced the portion of the line up that features the Underground Lounge artists as of yet. I look forward to expanding my musical palate. I highly recommend that you make a point of checking out all of the Underground Lounge performances...you will be in for a treat

Welcome...having the Capital Jazz SuperCruise as your first cruise is really going to set the bar high...you are in for a treat, and you will be spoiled for future cruises..bring enough spare funds to pay a deposit for 2013 (SuperCruise 7) while you are onboard this year

The SuperCruise attracts all types because of the wide array of music style offerings

(smooth jazz, neo-soul, 70's funk and fusion,gospel, old school,opera, classical, dance, comedy,go-go,British soul, internet jazz)

There will be a nice mixture of cruisers of all ages, married, single,Mother/Daughter combos and small/large groups, a virtual United Nations and rainbow coalition..When you are in the cruise terminal waiting to embark on the ship, you will notice alot of hugging and greetings because alot are repeat cruisers who have made friendships on the cruise and it' a happy reunion. You will also notice no kids

If at all possible, plan on coming in on friday, stay at the host hotel, and attend the pre cruise party to meet folks. A nice ice breaker to meet folks is to wear something that identifies what city you are from or who your favorite artist is that is performing on the cruise. Also we have open seating at dinner so try to sit at different tables to meet new friends.

You are going to have the cruise vacation of a lifetime..feel free to ask any questions

Sorry, forgot to add one final thought...I noticed you are from the Dallas area....there will be a ton of SuperCruisers from your area onboard. If you are flying into FLL there will be lots on your airplane (trust me, they will be easy to spot ), so you will have cruise buddies by the time you land. A huge % of SuperCruisers are from the DC, Maryland, Virginia area and on Sunday, we will have the NFL tailgate party at noon on the lido deck where everyone wears their NFL jerseys..The Cowboys always receive alot of good nature teasing so be prepared...lol

Welcome, active48, since this is your first cruise (I assume you've booked!), now that you've joined CruiseCritic, you should check the Roll Call section for the Capital Jazz Supercruise Roll Call. That thread is dedicated to our sailing, so it's easier to communicate with people on our ship.

You can also find out more about other passengers by checking the Super Cruise Facebook page.

Feel free to ask any question that you may have about cruising or the islands we're visiting. After all, that's what cruisecritic is for!

Welcome, active48, since this is your first cruise (I assume you've booked!), now that you've joined CruiseCritic, you should check the Roll Call section for the Capital Jazz Supercruise Roll Call. That thread is dedicated to our sailing, so it's easier to communicate with people on our ship.

Ms411, this will be my first Themed Cruise as well; can you tell me where the Roll Call is located? I didn't see it under the normal Carnival Triumph Roll Calls.

Thank you!

Dmayweather & Active 48 Welcome,

Hattack is great for answering all the question you may have.

Hattack, I talked to Stephanie today and I told her you have been of great help. She knew who I was talking about, and she thanks you for being so helpful & positive on the changes (billing wise). I told her that you are assuring us that thing will go great & we will have a ball.:D

CruiseCritic has different rules for different forums, and the Roll Call forum allows you to post links, whereas you're not supposed to post links in the Theme Cruises forum. The Roll Call forum is intended to help you connect with other passengers on your cruise before you board, but Carnival doesn't support the Roll Calls as strongly as Royal Caribbean, IMO.

That's why, for this cruise, you need to check both forums! Here's the link for the Capital Jazz Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1543994

The Roll Calls are available for any cruise, any time - not just for theme or jazz cruises. The Roll Calls are where most people on a particular voyage "meet" online. Many people use the Roll Call to find other people who want to do a group tour on a particular island and are looking for company or just others to share the cost. I've always joined the Roll Call for any cruise I've been on.

This is what I've been told being that this will be my first cruise and setting the bar. We plan to make a deposit today no later than tomorrow to get this going. Ive been excited about this cruise for the past couple years. We do plan to be at the pre-crusie party on friday and I will keep in mind to bring extra $$ to reserve for 2013. By the way I love the comradery and look forward for the tailgate.

Archived