Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

You will love hanging out with my cabin mate...she has a catering business on the side and really gets into the celebrity chef demonstrations. They are held in the atrium or the main showroom, usually in the morning on one of our full days at sea

-two years ago we had Chef G.Gavin and my friend was one of the lucky ones that sat at the Chef's table on stage

-last year we had Chef Big Daddy (Aaron McCargo Jr.) who not only did his cooking demo, but did book signings and was featured in the celebrity auction for the Sister's Network for Breast Cancer..btw, he does a mean "Dougie". I put in a bid on behalf on my cabinmate but lost. I could have bid more but I was saving to bid on my beloved Chante Moore (didn't win her either...lol)

The cooking demo's are well attended and alot of fun...the taste samples go very quickly..they generally are with us all week and are very approachable and love to take pics with the cruisers.

Bring extra $$$$$ so you can purchase cook books and seasoning and bid on them for charity and if you win have dinner with them at the steakhouse

-

hattuck, thanks for the description of the cooking sessions. They're fun for me to watch, but I don't cook too much - I just fantasize about it so no cookbooks for me. Besides, remember I have to fly home, so I'm always concerned with my baggage limits. I spend most of my money on excursions.

You will love hanging out with my cabin mate...she has a catering business on the side and really gets into the celebrity chef demonstrations. They are held in the atrium or the main showroom, usually in the morning on one of our full days at sea

-two years ago we had Chef G.Gavin and my friend was one of the lucky ones that sat at the Chef's table on stage

-last year we had Chef Big Daddy (Aaron McCargo Jr.) who not only did his cooking demo, but did book signings and was featured in the celebrity auction for the Sister's Network for Breast Cancer..btw, he does a mean "Dougie". I put in a bid on behalf on my cabinmate but lost. I could have bid more but I was saving to bid on my beloved Chante Moore (didn't win her either...lol)

The cooking demo's are well attended and alot of fun...the taste samples go very quickly..they generally are with us all week and are very approachable and love to take pics with the cruisers.

Bring extra $$$$$ so you can purchase cook books and seasoning and bid on them for charity and if you win have dinner with them at the steakhouse

-

Wow, I missed out on the cooking demos. We were to busy attending the morning bootcamp classes and participated in the tennis tournament in Puerto Rico. My husband also played in the basketball tournament. There were so many activities, it was difficult at times to choose what to do.

It was very surprising to me how friendly the entertainers were with the cruisers. I took photos with many. The only one I missed was Malcolm Jamal Warner. Saw him when we were leaving our cabin, on our way to exit the ship. Had all my luggage, couldn't get to him fast enough. LOL.

hattuck, thanks for the description of the cooking sessions. They're fun for me to watch, but I don't cook too much - I just fantasize about it so no cookbooks for me. Besides, remember I have to fly home, so I'm always concerned with my baggage limits. I spend most of my money on excursions.

LOL. It was hilarious watching everyone with luggage while boarding the ship. People were struggling to close bags on the way home. I love charms(Pandora,Chamilia, etc), therefore, bought jewelry while in St. Thomas. Much easier to pack.

I really enjoyed seeing all of our friends, whom we met last year on the cruise, in the terminal while we were waiting to board and spotting the various performing artists as they checked in and were preboarded. It set the tone for the week with everyone in a very upbeat mood. It will be even better this year, because this will be our third SuperCruise in a row

For the first time last year, we tried the baggage express program for a fee where Carnival checked your bag and gave boarding passes, the last night of the cruise. Worked like a charm, so we avoid the circus of getting off the ship with our bags, carting them thru customs and trying to check bags at the airport and receive your boarding pass. I have already budgeted to do the service again this year. FLL is the cruise capital of the world on the weekends, so don't forget to schedule your return flight after Noon. It was easy to spot SuperCruisers in the airport gate areas because we had on our colorful teeshirts and were all nodding off to sleep, because we had party so much during the week. Several folks on my flight asked about our cruise when they saw the back of our teeshirts with the names of all the performing artists, and were amazed when I showed them my pics on my SONY Tablet. I think when you look at your pics for the first time after you leave the ship, is when it hits you about how much you did and how much fun you had.

Myrtlewood..the artists enjoy the cruise as much as we do. What amazes me is both the love and respect that is shown on both sides. When the artists are eating with their families, no one bothers them..Capital Jazz provides several public opportunities for meeting and taking pics and autographs. During the Frankie Beverly and Maze concert on the lido deck, all the artists were taking pics with their fans, but once the music began, no one bothered the artists so they could enjoy Frankie

My cabinmate enjoys having her pic taken with as many artists as possible for her scrapbook, so she assigns me the task of finding out which artists will be on the ship all week (more opportunities for pics), which will get off at the first port of call and who will join us midweek (hardest to get a pic with). Last year FourPlay, met us in Cozumel, performed at 4 pm then got of the ship to fly to a gig in Europe. Capital Jazz scheduled a meet and greet at 3pm on the lido deck, so fans could take pics with them and have cd's signed. It worked out great

Ok per the website gratuities are included in the $175 that is added to the rate. In most cruises it is added to the sea port card or you can pay cash. Does this include the room stewart & dining room? I always like to give a little extra to the person cleaning my room. Please let me know.

Good question. The $175, covers gratuities, so you will not see it on your sign and sail account and it includes your room steward, MDR staff etc. I always bring extra cash to tip on a daily basis my room steward. Feel free to tip extra if you feel it merits it

The price of ANY cruise is usually quoted as:

1. The price of the room per person based on double occupancy PLUS

2. The "taxes and port charges" that vary depending on the itinerary PLUS

3. The gratuities to the service staff which includes your room steward, main dining room waiter, etc.

Usually if you book through a travel agent, they will break out the "taxes and port charges" from the "gratuities" so you'll know how much is going to each entity. Some lines are now automatically charging passengers for gratuities, but a few still leave it to the passenger's discretion. Some of the "luxury" lines, I think, have it built into the cabin price.

On some website, there's a breakdown as to how much each service person is "tipped" per day if you tip the cruise lines suggested minimum. It's usually a few dollars a day, but there are a few people who get tipped, so it usually adds another $80+ dollars to your cruise. Tipping is a highly controversial cruise topic, so you might want to read up on it before the cruise.

I personally don't like paying gratuities until I'm either ready to board or onboard. The service people don't know in advance if you've already paid, but I just don't like pre-paying for services not rendered. Kind of defeats the purpose of TIPS, IMO.

Ms411...I understand your position...I suspect when the cruise lines do a full charter to a private promoter, they (cruise line) roll in the gratuites (which I bet are marked up) into the bottom line, and whatever the line item cost is then, prorated out to the guests by the promoter

This upcoming SuperCruise will be my 7th full charter smooth jazz cruise, and in thinking about it just now, the service level and attention to the guests has been noticeably better, then on a normal cruise. I would attribute this in part to the sound business practice that if you "take care of your front line staff that serves the customer, your staff will take care of the customer" which will result in repeat business. The crew on the Liberty and Valor appeared to be happy to have us onboard and probably have told the Freedom crew that they will enjoy us also. When you are onboard this year, see if you notice a difference in the crew attitude.

I am aware that on a normal cruise , tipping is a hot topic. I am always amazed of how folks, will opt out of the pre paid program and then stiff the crew because they spent more $$$$ then they planned. For many SuperCruisers this will be their first cruise ever, so by having this program in place, it makes it easier to manage their budget

Don't get me started on the subject of "service." If the lines want to call it gratuities, they shouldn't require that you pay up front. They're also going to automatically add gratuities to everything you drink in the bars/restaurants exclusive of drinks pre-paid on the soda program.

I'm just closing my eyes and paying what's required on this cruise, because that's what Capital Jazz says I have to pay.

I have always paid more than the minimum suggested gratuity just for the record. You never know if you might see them again on a future cruise or need some info or favor in one of the ports of call.

hattack, BTW, one of your jazz homies, Christian Scott, is on the Puerto Rico Heineken Jazz Fest lineup this year. My "jazz advisor" thought you might want to abandon the Capital Jazz cruise in favor of the Puerto Rican Jazz Fest.

The photo I posted is from the Puerto Rico Jazz Fest - not St Lucia. St Lucia soon come.

Scott plays at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival every year, so advise your advisor that I have the best of both worlds. I may be able to attend The New Orleans Music and Heritage Cruise that you turned me on to (thanks by the way) in November. Never done two cruises in two months

Miamichille77...welcome to our thread, do you attend the Capital Jazz Festival in June? Went last year for the first time, loved it. Served as a preview for upcoming SuperCruise and a reunion of the past cruise

Yes it is , as well as a theme art exhibit (you can purchase).

Last year there was a showing and q&a workshop with the maker of a documentary that was showcased onboard ( I missed it but it's on our radar for this cruise). The year before they showcased the documentary about Wayman Tisdale followed by a forum with the artists onboard that knew him as a friend and performed with him. It was very moving. Most nights at around midnight, they show a music theme movie on the lido deck on the big LCD screen and serve popcorn. We saw the 70's movie "WattsStax" last year which is really cool with the ship's surround sound system.

Last year they featured an art exhibit but I did not check it out, but I did notice folks were buying.

I suspect that this year the Capital Jazz staff will expand the film and art showcases and might add a guest book author and a book discussion workshop based upon post cruise guest feedback survey results and the fact that we have an extra day at sea. These showcases enhance and compliment the scope and mission statement of the SuperCruise and provides a nice break from the concerts. Alot of folks from the industry (non performers) are onboard as guests. Last year at dinner one night, I met a founder of an internet jazz station and a feature writer for Smooth Jazz Magazine. Needless to say we had a great meal and great conversation

If you have any suggestions for showcases or activities that you would like to see onboard you should email Audrey@capitaljazz.com. I know for a fact that she welcomes and implements suggestions from guests

So glad to hear that! I think I have Wattstax in my Netflix que (just one of the 200+ titles), and though they probably won't show it this year, I'm glad to hear they show titles I probably haven't seen. Love to see those documentaries!

I'm not interested in the art activities, because remember, I don't want to take stuff home.

I just hope people don't talk during the films! I couldn't enjoy the movies on the Victory for all the distracting noise so I was happy to watch them in my cabin.

,,,,,,,lol........nope, quiet as a church mouse.....lol.......warning...if they show the movie "Carwash", I will be singing out loud in my best falsetto range .....lol....

I think they show music theme movies in your cabin also. Have never been in my cabin long enough to turn the tv on to find out

Oh, PLEASE! Not "Carwash!" What about "Cotton Club," "Bird," "Standing in the Shadows," etc? I had some great DVDs I bought in Canada that were filmed when many Black artists in America were banned from US tv, but don't know what happened to them. There was GREAT footage of Louis Jordan. I gave it to a jazz performer I knew at the time, and then tried to buy it again online, but what I bought isn't the same one. I think I have one featuring Sammy Davis, Jr, but can't put my hands on it now. That was a GREAT DVD, because Sammy played so many instruments. Maybe my "jazz advisor" has that one. :-)

BTW, if/when you get a chance to go to NY, you should tour Louis Armstrong's home in Queens. OMG, it is sooo interesting! The house isn't elaborate, but he recorded so many activities that took place in the house! It is so intimate and unique.

Well, I'll be up there watching movies with the blanket from my bed. I'm an early riser, so no matter what time they show them, I'll probably be waiting for my breakfast at 7 a.m. I'll probably have one of my friends call me for a wake-up call, though I usually wake on my own.

Now I'm remembering why I signed up for this cruise.:)

I grew up in upstate New York and lived in NYC during the 70's...it's the jazz capital of the world and love going to the Apollo Theater and seeing James Brown, Four Tops, Smokey Robinson etc. Use to hamg out at the Village Vanguard to hear Lee Morgan, Roland Kirk, Buddy Rich etc. My favorite performer of all time, Sammy Davis Jr. He could do it all

If you are an early riser on the cruise, you will probably see me on the lido deck doing my laps and watching the sunrise..Deck is usually empty and nice and quiet until about 8 am. The exception is when Chuck Brown is scheduled to perform at noon on a full day at sea, deck is packed by 8 am

• 2 weeks later...

wow....talk about great minds think alike...lol...in Sunday's online edition of the New York Times music section is an article about him and a pic of Chrisette Michele performing with him at the Blue Note in NYC....since she is on the SuperCruise and he is performing at this year's New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival it caught my eye and I emailed the article to Capital Jazz

Glasper is at the leading edge of fusing Jazz and Hip Hop, and maybe we will see him perform on a future SuperCruise or at the Festival.

I'm picking up the CD tomorrow snd looking forward to seeing him perform at our Festival. Music always sounds better live

Check him out on YouTube...I have his "In My Element" CD.....I am also a huge fan of Roy Hargrove and the two often perform together.

Capital Jazz owns Capital Jazz Radio and Capital Jazz Lounge which you can access thru the internet from their SuperCruise website that I am sure will be playing tracks from Glasper's Black Radio CD since it features duets with not only Chrisette Michele, but also Lalah Hathaway, Erykah Badu, Ledisi (my New Orleans homegirl), Musiq Soulchild among others, which probably enhances the chance that we will see Glasper perform either at the Festival this June or 2013 SuperCruise 7.

The line up for the Capital Jazz Festival in June should be announced in early March and is a good indicator of some of the artists we might see on SuperCruise 7, based upon the response of the crowd. If some of the announced artists for our upcoming SuperCruise 6, cannot perform on the cruise, look for the replacements to come from the Festival.

n

Doug E. Fresh's old school rap / hip hop performance on last year's SuperCruise on the lido deck at noon, on a full day at sea, reminded all of us that by incorporating samples of old school (i.e. Frankie Beverly &Maze, James Brown, The Gap Band, Gil Scott Heron, The O'Jays etc.)into his "human juke box" appealed to everyone onboard. Plus 3000+ old school fans were dancing "The Dougie", which was so much fun.

Glasper's Black Radio CD by combining today's popular Neo-Soul jazz artists with Hip Hop and straight ahead jazz is on the cutting edge which is a good thing

Archived