Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

It seems like Capital Jazz does everything but communication well. It's the biggest mystery to me - the modes of communication have increased, yet many people can't manage to get the word out.

I'm wondering if you're the PR person for Capital Jazz?? Full disclosure time now.:D

I wish!!!!!!!!....just a huge fan of how they operate. My entire work life I worked front line operational customer service. Towards the end I had a staff job that involved being the liason between front line employees and our IT department, so I am very familiar with processes, irregular operations, and customer process transaction times. In my various world travels I like to observe how other organizations interact with their customers. I am a huge fan of Disney's and Capital Jazz Productions.

What most folks don't know is that the Capital Jazz staff for the SuperCruise is very,very small and they also coordinate the Capital Jazz Festival the first weekend in June. For the festival and the onboard cruise they expand their staff immensely. On the ship there is always staff to assist you. The popularity of the cruise and the size of the ship really took off in 2010 on SuperCruise 4 when they switched from Royal Caribbean to Carnival. Their staff had a steep learning curve in 2010, but they worked out the kinks. They have also upgraded their technology for the financial end of the business and every cruise, based upon feedback they receive from their guests (they wisely recognize that feedback is a gift, which means people care) the communications improve as does the onboard product. I became a true convert on last year's cruise when weather played havoc both on their islands stops and their performance schedule. The staff did an excellent job that resulted in very few concerns. Poor Stephanie probably is dealing with hundreds of concerns, issues and challenges, so try as she might, it may take her awhile longer to get back to you, but the key is she will (I know from personal experience). I would suspect that the majority of challenges come from first time SuperCruisers. Those of us that have been on a few SuperCruises, understand the system and have confidence in the Capital Jazz staff that it will be resolved. Plus you have 9 months until we sail which is plenty of time for resolution.

When you speak with Stephanie share with her that I am available for a consultant retainer at the same rate Newt Gingrich received from Fannie Mae...lol

The best sales force that The SuperCruise has are the past guests. I'm just a relatively new fan

Well I would offer to Salsa, hand dance and especially slow dance with Chante Moore if she needed a parther....lol....females outnumber males 2 to 1, but most folks line dance these days anyway

Most of the lines emulate from folks wanting prime seats for the main shows in the evening. There are enough seats by dining times and there is a system in place that you show your sign/sail card to the folks at the door to ensure that everyone is let in first per their dining time (they have an open seating policy and no seat saving once the shows start). I'll tell you an inside secret....you can walk in about 20 minutes after the show starts and get a seat...there really is not a bad seat in the house, and if you have a good SLR camera (to take pics without a flash) with at least a 55-200 zoom lens, you are in great shape for pics...some of the performers when they come into the crowd will go all the way around both the main floor and the upper level.....also during the evening there are multiple venues with artists performing at the same time..the neo soul artists (underground lounge) are in a room that seats maybe 200 and the room is packed, but if you come about 30 minutes into the show you can get a seat, because folks are moving around to different venues to check out the artists. Last year the biggest lines were for the midnight jam sessions which started off in the lounge that holds 500. After the first night (which was off the chain), they moved it to the main showroom (seats 1500), which solved the challenge

It's no where near the madness of say the Fantastic Voyage. One just has to use common sense. Remember, it's not like a normal cruise (thank God), where folks spend alot of time in their cabins, relaxing on their balconies. Everyone is drawn to the public areas for the music. I'm sure everyone will be on deck to see George Clinton and P-Funk

I will tell you the noon time concerts on the lido deck on our sea days are jammed packed and the lido buffett about 30 minutes before showtime is packed. Veteran cruisers have a tried and true system in place to navigate around this. It pays to either come with a large group or make alot of friends who work together as a team.

All the main concerts can be viewed on close circuit tv in your cabin, both in real time and in a loop. Everyday the hosts have a live tv show you can view in your cabin that talks about today's events,show highlights of all of the performances from the day before and will do both artists and guests live interviews

Don't forget most of the artists perform multiple times in various venues with various artists, so if you miss them at their main concert, you can catch them in other areas. I'll give another insider secret..most of the artists will hold a q&a session in the atrium during the days when we are at sea, they will perform some songs and do songs with other artists...it's like having a mini concert during the day and it's not crowded

Beverages are not included in the price of your ticket...my cabin mate brings on a small amount of bottle water and it has never beern an issue (carry on alcohol is a no-no)

There are the daily drink specials like on a normal cruise...what I don't know or didn't ask if there were any special deals where for a certain price you can get a drink card that entitles you to a certain deal

You can bring on some beverages, including one bottle of wine. Here's Carnival's beverage policy:

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

I don't see that Capital Jazz has established their own beverage policy, so I'm going with Carnival's policy.

hattack, you THINK I'm right???:rolleyes: Unless Carnival changed their policy and hasn't updated their website, I'm right as rain on this one (remember that song???)

Most of the ports have stores near the dock so people can get beverages, snacks, sundries, etc just before boarding. And the ship will probably be selling bottled water at the gangway on port days so you'll have water for your time off the ship.

Stephanie and the whole crew at Capital Jazz are very guests oriented and will do their best to try to address your concerns. You have ten months and I have full confidence we will see you onboard

Myrtlewood..we were on SuperCruise 4&5 and looking forward to 6. We have been on different promoters smooth jazz cruises, loved them all but the SuperCruise is our favorite of all. We have booked for Dave Koz and Friends for 2013 out of Rome and had plan on skipping SuperCruise 7, but my cabin mate has told me to get an extra job and give blood so we can do both in the same calendar year..lol...

Just purchased Bob Baldwin cd Re-Vibe and Gary Taylor's cd Retro Blackness and really love both and looking forward to seeing them perform on this year's cruise. Going on these SuperCruises have really expanded my musical taste.

We will also skip 2013. My retired parents drive 6 hours and take care of our children for a week.

We have not received invoices or a newsletter. Calling and emailing but communication seems to be an issue this year.

Thanks for the replies on the beverages. I'm not talking alcohol or soda. But are you telling me that you don't get any free lemonade, juice or something with your meals or just whenever? If so, what specifically do they have? Or do you have to spend money whenever you want something to drink? Looks like I will be taking the max amount on board with me.

I'm sorry...yes you have the normal free beverages (i.e. juice, lemonade, soda etc.)...it's like a normal cruise, your waiter at dinner will tell you which beverages are free and which beverages you have to order thru the bar waiter. I really like the free guava juice at the lido deck buffett

For the past two years that I have gone, SuperCruise newsletters and invoices come out around the 15th of the month, and the Capital Jazz newsletters come out around the first of the month.

I've sent Capital Jazz an email about another issue and have not received a response as of yet, but at this point am not overly concerned. If we do not receive information by Feb 17th, then I would be very concerned.

Ms411....when a private promoter charters a full ship for a cruise, depending on the contract details and onboard revenue share split, there may be deviations from the normal Carnival beverage or other guest relations guideline..i.e. the promoter could specify that no alcohol beverages be served, but then Carnival would factor the loss revenue into the overall charter cost..the promoter can have a different dress code for the MDR...since there are no kids onboard, there is no Camp Carnival and the children's area are closedand the slides may/may not be opened, but Carnival builds in associated cost into the contract. So overall the promoter will keep everything the same as a normal ctuise unless they want to pay extra for it. The Captain has the last word

The concentrate I like comes in a big bottle, so I can only bring one, and it will probably be passionfruit.

I always eat/drink on shore, because the choices are usually fresher than what we get either in the States or on the ship.

Hello Everyone,

I just did my registration for the cruise. I am so excited. :)This is not my first cruise but will be my first theme cruise.

I do have a question when doing registration they did not ask me to pick a cabin like normal cruises do. Do they assign cabins or should I call to tell them that i prefer the middle to back of the boat.:confused: If anyone know please inform me.

Thank

My husband and I had a great time on the SuperCruise in 2010. We decided to join the 2012 cruise and have a group code G607.

Book your reservation on the official CaptitalJazz webpage using our group code and enter to win a FREE 3-night stay in Myrtlewood Villas, Myrtle Beach, SC. And enter to win gift cards.

View our facebook page:

Travel Group - Capital Jazz SuperCruise Oct.20-28, 2012 for details.

Thanks Myrtlewood, I just did my registration and I did use the group code you gave. I did not think it would hurt to try and win something. lol...:D

Welcome!!!!! You are correct, Capital Jazz will assign you a cabin number based upon your category booked. I booked last July and I remember there is an area where you can indicate a preference if you need a handicap cabin, or a cabin that holds 3 etc., but it also stated that a specific cabin number request may not be honored.

I have no idea the process used for cabin assignments. I do know that there will be a high number of repeat cruisers that requested the same cabin number they had the previous cruise..the Valor,Liberty and Freedom are all the same class of ship with the same cabin deck layout...I am one of those that have made that request.

We are all anxiously awaiting communication from Capital Jazz regarding payment invoice and cabin assignments. Hopefully it will be arriving very soon. Once you receive your specific cabin assignment, there should be a process explained on how you would go about requesting a change

Feel free to ask any questions, this is my 3rd SuperCruise

Thanks Hattack, you are very helpful I got alot of info from past post. :)

Any new questions I have I will be sure to ask you. We have 8 months to go so I know something will come up in our waiting period.

Thanks again.

Tianna, welcome to our Capital Jazz thread.

From what I can tell, you don't get to choose your cabin number, but you do get to choose your category which determines where you will be on the ship.

I know when we booked, I think E category was the back/and/or front, and F was the middle. We checked the ship layouts for a visual.

On a regular cruise cabin type and location are very critical because one will spend alot of time in it to rest,relax, enjoy the balcony and get away from the masses. On this cruise, you will spend very little time in your cabin, especially on full days at sea, because of all the concerts and music related activities. This is not the type of cruise one would go on for alot of down time or rest.However, with Will Downing, Peabo Bryson and Gary Taylor singing love songs it should be romantic for the ladies.

We are going to the Southern Caribbean this year with ports that alot of guests have never visited before, plus there should be fewer ships in port at the same time (unlike when on SuperCruise 4, in St. Thomas when there were 8 other ships in port with us), which should mean good shopping,beach time, and fewer guests remaining on the ship when we are in port

Tianna, my travel agent has always selected my cabins, and I've been thrilled with where she's put me. I applied what she's chosen for me in the past on this cruise.

I like being in the middle so I can use the stairs. I hate ship elevators for more reasons than one!

Even on regular cruises I'm seldom in my cabin or on the balcony, but I've found that a balcony is good for drying your swimwear from day to day. It's also nice to have breakfast room service on the balcony on port days, so you can watch the approach.

I've been to all these ports, but haven't been to Antigua in a few years, so I'm really looking forward to going there again. Didn't like my St Lucia tour last year, so this year I get a "do over." I'll probably see the new friends I met last year in St Martin on this cruise. I've already contacted them about the Axum Cafe, and they'll be on the lookout for any special events the Cafe may be offering when we're there.

Someone who played with George Benson will be performing here this Friday. I may go, take a few pictures, and ask George if he remembers this guy. That should be fun!

Archived