Capital Jazz Supercruise 2012

policecruiser

IMHO..the best part of The SuperCruise is the Underground Lounge which features the Neo Soul artists that I would never normally have checked out.

I fell in love last year with Angela Johnson, Cheryl Riley and Eric Roberson among others. Folks may book the SuperCruise for artists they know (i.e. George Duke, Will Downing, Nnenna Freelon), but leave at the end of the week new fans of the neo soul movement.

The torch of the great soul singers of the 50's 60's&70's has been successfully passed to this new generation of neo-soul singers. Eric Roberson reminds me of a young Sam Cooke...Sy Smith and Wayna remind me of Billie Holiday and a young Gladys Knight, Frank McComb reminds me of Danny Hathaway, Dwele reminds me of a young Curtis Mayfield.

Experienced SuperCruisers know about these hidden gems and pack the smaller lounges early to hear the neo soul artists perform every night

Hello, everyone:

No, I have not been to the Jazz Fest, but really like going on the cruise. If you like music and generally having a good time, join us! Every year I learn about new performers (especially those who sing or play in the Underground Lounge or smaller venues).

Great...this will be our third also (we were on 4 & 5).. I suspect this upcoming 6th will be the best ever, because the Capital Jazz folks have the kinks worked out with Carnival. Smart move to stay on the same fleet type and size (Liberty, Valor and now Freedom) and with so many repeat guests, we all know the script and our favorite spots to stake out for the concerts.

Since we have an extra day this year, they will have to come up with a new theme night. I'm thinking a Carnivale theme like in Rio with lots of dance schools, masks, slinky customes and a big parade and Sasla Music. (much better then the Mardi Gras version we have here in New Orleans). I have my hand made mask that was made in Venice for me, that I can wear

The designated overflow hotel has just been posted on the SuperCruise website...it's very close to the host hotel for the pre cruise party Friday night

The port is very close to the FLL airport and hosts hotels.

If you are flying into MIA airport the day of the cruise, there will be a shuttle to the ship. provided by Capital Jazz. If you are flying into MIA the day before you have to arrange your own shuttle service. Capital Jazz will provide a shuttle to both airports for your return flights following the cruise

If at all possible come in on Friday to avoid the stress and enjoy the pre party.

Just posted on the Capital Jazz Facebook page...the line up for the Capital Jazz Festival will be announced on Tuesday March 13th....tickets go on sale Saturday March 17th at Noon EST.

For those of you booked on your first SuperCruise and live in driving range of the Festival, you will have the opportunity to see some of the artists that were on last year's cruise, see some of the artists that will be on this year's cruise and see some of the artists that could be on 2013 SuperCruise 7 (which will probably open for sale in June, if we are lucky at the Festival)

This years Festival should be really extra special because it's celebrating it's 20th year anniversary

They should offer past Super Cruise passengers an opportunity to buy tickets first and have a VIP section for them, IMO. That would be an incentive to book future cruises.

I think one of my cabin mates is going to the Jazz Fest. I'm not a fan of big concerts, because I prefer more a more intimate environment. I guess that's what I like about living in St Thomas, VI - nothing is BIG, but big named talent comes here.

Angelique Kidjoe was here a few months ago, and India Arie will be here this month. I danced on the stage with Angelique.

Depending on where you work or hang out, you may see lots of artists up close and personal.

MTV is filiming Real World here now. I may go to a beach concert this weekend to see if I can be an extra!

Hattack, will you please start your own Supercruise blog, so my mates can follow you? Since we're not getting updates from Capital, I'm passing your info on to them. They're not cruisecritic regulars, so they can't remember where to find the current Supercruise posts. I don't want to be the "middleman" any more, because I have other things I'd rather do.

Any other suggestions? I'm not contacting Capital Jazz again until I board.

I am starting a consultant contract in about a week, which is going to take me out of the loop for a couple months, so you might suggest to your friends to follow the Capital Jazz Facebook page on the SuperCruise website (the contact us tab)...that appears to be very current...

Suggest to your friend who might attend the Festival to purchase pavillion seating instead of general admission. Pavillion seating will sell out very quickly....it is very easy to go between the two stages (about a 5-7 minute walk) and during the heat of the day, the pavillion reserve seating is much cooler....if they are planning to attend the friday night concert, bring a light jacket or blanket, it does get cool in the evening

SuperCruise officially sold out on Saturday, a full 8 months before sailing..they have started a waitlist because some will cancel..

SuperCruise 7 (2013) will be announced and open for sale next month (April)

The line up for this year's Underground Lounge artists (neo-soul) will be announced this month

Line Up for the 20th Capital Jazz Festival just posted on their website..Anita Baker, Will Downing, George Benson, Tower of Power, KC & The Sunshine Band, Jeffrey Osborne among others. Tickets go on sale Saturday March 17th at noon EST

The Festival line up is always a great indicator of who will be on SuperCruise 7

SuperCruise officially sold out on Saturday, a full 8 months before sailing..they have started a waitlist because some will cancel..

SuperCruise 7 (2013) will be announced and open for sale next month (April)

The line up for this year's Underground Lounge artists (neo-soul) will be announced this month

I'm happy that they have plans to announce cruise 7 next month, but I'm sort of with Ms411 on this one. I'd love to get an invoice or something from them before I consider booking the next one. I'm sure they will come through in the end - you and others have said so - but it is a bit unsettling to send $500 each month and not hear anything specific about your booking.

Know how you feel....we are paid in full since Feb. Since we had no problems the last two years, still giving Capital Jazz the benefit that everything is fine and they must be having a major glitch in switching over to the new system...been following their Facebook page on their website since it contains the most current information, plus the latest newsletter should be coming out on Mzrch 15th

I've already decided I won't go with them again. They're too big for my taste. I prefer smaller events. I'm sure I'll have a good time, but I think for me, once will be enough.

And with CD sales declining every year, most musicians are doing more live performances to supplement those sales, so it's easier to see them live now. George Benson is EVERYWHERE.

Hmm, wonder if St Lucia has released their lineup yet??? Let me check their website!

CD's as we know them today, will not be in existence in the next 18 month as the primary format...all music will be in the virtual "Cloud" format that can be access thru tablets...the internet has changed the music industry forever and more artists are controlling their careers by understanding how to use the internet

That being said, vinyl records and turntables are making a huge comeback

Single act touring is not financially prudent in today's climate. I won front row tickets to see Sade (who had not toured in 10 years) and the place was half full. The trend is to attend Festivals or full charter music cruises where you can see 20-30 artists over the course of 3-7 days. Very cost effective.

George Benson did not tour for years so there is a demand to see him live. To see Benson, Anita Baker , Tower Of Power and others live over a weekend is a treat that should not be missed if possible

Archived