Big floppy hats?

ddgleason

I have thought of doing that to ones that didn't have it, but I have never seen the kind in my straw hats. It's sort of thick and soft, like plush, so it's really nice against your forehead. Maybe covered in a casing of a soft chamois would work!

You know, I think I will give that a try. You've given a lot of us encouragement to wear hats more and I for one am thinking of getting another. Thanks Sara. I only have one big, floppy chocolate brown hat at the moment but I think I will look for a nice big black one. Sort of like a Audrey Hepburn, kinda look. So chic in the summer with a sundress and shades. ;)

Cheers,

Edie

OK. So now here's a new hat related question. Hat hair? How do you deal with it? I have extremely curly hair and if I wear a hat for a long time, it gets mushed down to my head. not a pretty sight. Do you all just leave your hat on until you can get to a mirror to fluff?

But you have all convinced me to wear more hats. My hubby wears a ball cap just about everywhere so I should too, right?:D I love the big brims, especially the colored ones you have all been posting pics of!

I often french braid my hair under a hat, that way when I take it off and let it down it looks ok. Sometimes I sorta pin/clip it up, and again when I take off the hat and let it down it's ok.

Just smashing a hat on does sort of scrunch the 'do. Depending on how you wear your hat a low ponytail can look good and keep it under control.

It ocurres to me all of my answers assume longish hair, since that's what I have. If you had short hair maybe just stepping into the ladies room with a comb or fingers, and some gel or water would help?

But then, while a gentleman always removes his hat indoors, a lady does not. She may, but does not have too. The chapeau is regarded as part of her ensemble, and it would be like asking her to remove her jewelry or scarf. So if your hair really sucks after removing the hat, then just don't!

C]; -)

But then, while a gentleman always removes his hat indoors, a lady does not. She may, but does not have too. The chapeau is regarded as part of her ensemble, and it would be like asking her to remove her jewelry or scarf. C]; -)

Can I just say that I love this? Sounds so distinguished and makes me think of days long gone...

OK. So now here's a new hat related question. Hat hair? How do you deal with it? I have extremely curly hair and if I wear a hat for a long time, it gets mushed down to my head. not a pretty sight. Do you all just leave your hat on until you can get to a mirror to fluff?

Cute emoticon - very clever!!

I suffer from hat hair syndrome which is why I try and avoid them - but wisdom prevails in sunny climates! My (shortish) very fine very porous straight hair absorbs every ounce of humidity from under my hat and I look as if I've come out of a sauna when it comes off - my hair damp and plastered to my head. Not quite the look I'm going for! Am thinking of getting a body perm - don't know if it will help or make things worse! Or a wig! Hat off wig on??:D

I suffer from hat hair syndrome which is why I try and avoid them - but wisdom prevails in sunny climates! My (shortish) very fine very porous straight hair absorbs every ounce of humidity from under my hat and I look as if I've come out of a sauna when it comes off - my hair damp and plastered to my head. Not quite the look I'm going for! Am thinking of getting a body perm - don't know if it will help or make things worse! Or a wig! Hat off wig on??:D

I haven't had a perm in years. They make my very porous, fine and straight hair a huge ball of frizz!! I've found that having my hair cut in a side parted bob helps a lot. I clip the longer side bangs toward the crown of my head with a clip. You know the kind with teeth. It seems to help somewhat and at least keeps my hair away from my damp forehead if it's very hot out.

Don't take off your hat off until you're in a bathroom with a comb or even use the hand-dryer to fluff up and dry your hair. That works great too.

Big floppy hats have a place in life for sure.

This thread reminds me of a Venezuelan friend who had invited an American friend to visit their home on Island of Catarina..when he went to pick her up, he couldn't spot her and he had also advised her about dressing too "flashy" and standing out in the crowd as that is not a terribly safe country for visitors..he said that he couldn't find her and had her paged..and there she was with her crisp white pant suit and gigantic white floppy hat at the information booth gettng a lot of stares.

• 2 weeks later...

I am with you Snowbirds2-same hair problem. I do not wear hats in the summer or in the winter no matter how cold it is outside. But I am seriously worried that the tropical sunshine will burn my scalp if my head isn't protected, especially where my hair starts to part, even though it is short and layered it still likes to part in the middle. Perm will probably not help much, then the sides will just stick out more then the top. I vowed after the mid-90's no more perms.

But if I can just keep the hat on long enough to get back to my cabin and redo my hair then maybe this will work out. :o

Ok ladies, you have convinced me. I need to get over the conspicuous feelings and just rock my hat. I am going to put on my huge sunglasses and pretend I am a Real Housewife from Beverly Hills. I guess it is all in the attitude. My mother always said "When in doubt, act as if..." :D

I only have one big, floppy chocolate brown hat at the moment but I think I will look for a nice big black one. Sort of like a Audrey Hepburn, kinda look. So chic in the summer with a sundress and shades. ;)

Cheers,

Edie

I love the big hat/big sunglasses look! Makes me feel much more glamorous pool/beachside than just hanging around with a wet head :) Also, after having had to have various suspect spots removed/burned off, I'm super paranoid about sun exposure. I've turned my fair-skinned, fair-haired little girl on to my love of hats, as well.

For me, the key to avoiding "hat hair" is to do something with it before you put the hat on. French braiding or a low twist works well. If I want to leave the back part of my hair down, I'll bobby pin my bangs back in a cute little twist or side sweep. My hair is completely straight, but my best girlfriend has curly hair and also loves to rock the hats - she does the same thing as I suggested - pin the top part back, then gathers the rest in a low ponytail. For short hair, maybe something like slicking it down with some pin curls - very 20s flapper sort of thing?

I love the big hat/big sunglasses look! Makes me feel much more glamorous pool/beachside than just hanging around with a wet head :) Also, after having had to have various suspect spots removed/burned off, I'm super paranoid about sun exposure. I've turned my fair-skinned, fair-haired little girl on to my love of hats, as well.

For me, the key to avoiding "hat hair" is to do something with it before you put the hat on. French braiding or a low twist works well. If I want to leave the back part of my hair down, I'll bobby pin my bangs back in a cute little twist or side sweep. My hair is completely straight, but my best girlfriend has curly hair and also loves to rock the hats - she does the same thing as I suggested - pin the top part back, then gathers the rest in a low ponytail. For short hair, maybe something like slicking it down with some pin curls - very 20s flapper sort of thing?

Fabulous, dawling!!! Lol Thanks for the 'hat-hair' tips. :)

I love floppy hats....just bought a new one on my past cruise. My father actually paid me a compliment and said my new hat was *very becoming*. That was big for my father. I wear hats a lot when we ride in our Miata....I probably have 7 floppy hats and several various other types. The black one makes me feel like the chic lady that was on the Celebrity commercial with *Fame* playing in the background. All I need to do is put the hat on to capture the feeling again! :D:cool:

meonthelawn.jpg.3aa35f8837f3920196378a1be60fe2b0.jpg

Here is me in my big floppy hat in Grand Turk this past summer. I also got it for sun protection and had no problem wearing it at the beach. It did happen to be the only time I wore it as it really wasn't needed on the other port stops. I also couldn't wear it on deck on the ship because it would have blown off (no chin strap). Will get a different one for future cruises. I also don't worry about hat hair. It is what it is. Guess I need to be a little more vain about that. :eek:

285269_2082436455373_1078945442_2328610_2239654_n.jpg

photo.php?fbid=2082436455373&set=a.2082435015337.113304.1078945442&type=3

Cruisinears: I love that hat! It looks great on you. I've been looking for one for a while but worried about it getting crushed in my suitcase.

Thanks!

I didn't worry if the hat got squished. It is made of a paper fiber and I even got it wet. Got it at Target for about $12. I took it all the way to Australia in my suitcase and never used it. It did come back with the crown squished, but I can still wear it. I really want a Tilley, so may have to be checking into that option.

• 2 weeks later...

Try the gardening section ...those hats almost always have straps

I don't wear it as a "chin strap" though - I put it in the back under my hair and snug it up to the base of my skull. I wear one every day in the summer while I am out in the garden and I would never go on vacation without one....

Thanks!

I didn't worry if the hat got squished. It is made of a paper fiber and I even got it wet. Got it at Target for about $12. I took it all the way to Australia in my suitcase and never used it. It did come back with the crown squished, but I can still wear it. I really want a Tilley, so may have to be checking into that option.

I thought your hat looked great too. And Tilleys have a strap fitted into the headband which you can wear underl the chin or behind/underneath your hair at the back. I have one and love it and it's so well made that it'll last forever. However, I still have the cheaper paper ones too and they look great as well. I just need to learn how to French braid my bangs to see if that'll take care of hat hair!! :p LOL

CruisinEars, that hat looks so good on you! Was looking for one when we cruised and got stuck with, what my DH calls, a truck stop cowboy hat. One of those that look already beat up, so packing it was not a problem. I really hated it! I wear a hard hat all day at work so don't wear them any other time. I ended up using SPF 80 sunblock on face and neck, left the hat in the suitcase. Next cruise, I'm just taking a ball cap for bad hair days and stick with my sunblock.

I've always wanted a large floppy hat but I've never liked hats on me. I bought 1 a few days ago at the PX and it was only $10! It's not really big but adequate for sun protection. I wouldn't say I LOVE it, because I don't love hats on me but I liked it enough to buy it. The great thing is that it's made of fabric and has a thin flexible wire running on the outside. I can pack it completely flat and folded up and I will just manipulate the wire how I want it when I unpack it.

Archived