POA Dec. 31-Jan. 7 Trip Report

lacyspring

We rented cars nearly every day (except Kona and second day in Kauai) and didn't do any ship excursions. We almost never do ship excursions; even in the Caribbean, we book with local tour companies. Driving in Hawaii is like driving anywhere else in the U.S., though--good roads, easily navigable with a GPS. The traffic was never bad, and we never had issues with things like parking. Our days were still highly structured--thanks to my planning--but we could do activities at our own pace, and skip those ones the tour companies might think are important but that we don't care about, or add those that were important to us but maybe not to most people.

The only private excursions we did were things we couldn't do on our own--the mountain biking, swimming with sharks, and snorkeling in Kona, for instance. It's slightly more difficult to rent a car in Kona (though not nearly as difficult as I thought), so if I were going to do a shore excursion with the cruise ship, that's probably where I'd do it. We wanted to do a different snorkeling tour than they offered, though, so we booked a different company.

Glad you're enjoying! Feel free to ask me any questions as you are planning. You guys will have a great time!

Hi Lacy,

When you were in Kauai, did you drive to the Canyon? If so did you drive right to the very end? If you were to do it again, what would you recommend as must do or see. We only have one day and are thinking about renting a car, something we haven't done when cruising...we usually book ship tours.

Thanks,

Helga

Hi Lacy,

When you were in Kauai, did you drive to the Canyon? If so did you drive right to the very end? If you were to do it again, what would you recommend as must do or see. We only have one day and are thinking about renting a car, something we haven't done when cruising...we usually book ship tours.

Thanks,

Helga

Yes! We had the most wonderful day in Kauai. We drove to the Canyon first, and we drove all the way to the end, to the Kalalau Valley lookouts. Definitely would recommend doing it yourself. I don't think any of the tour buses we saw were going up that far; most stopped at the last Waimea Canyon lookout and turned around. And you DEFINITELY don't want to miss the view of the NaPali Coast. It's a really simple drive, nothing at all to worry about if you aren't used to renting cars. There's really one main road that loops all the way around Kauai (or around 3/4 of the island, I guess, stopping at each end of the NaPali Coast), so it's very easy to get around. To get to Waimea Canyon, you just make one turn off that road and drive till the road ends! I'm going to post my Kona report tonight and then I will get started on the Kauai report, so it won't be too long before it's up. The first day in Kauai was my favorite day of the whole trip, so I'm actually excited about writing it all down.

Yes! We had the most wonderful day in Kauai. We drove to the Canyon first, and we drove all the way to the end, to the Kalalau Valley lookouts. Definitely would recommend doing it yourself. I don't think any of the tour buses we saw were going up that far; most stopped at the last Waimea Canyon lookout and turned around. And you DEFINITELY don't want to miss the view of the NaPali Coast. It's a really simple drive, nothing at all to worry about if you aren't used to renting cars. There's really one main road that loops all the way around Kauai (or around 3/4 of the island, I guess, stopping at each end of the NaPali Coast), so it's very easy to get around. To get to Waimea Canyon, you just make one turn off that road and drive till the road ends! I'm going to post my Kona report tonight and then I will get started on the Kauai report, so it won't be too long before it's up. The first day in Kauai was my favorite day of the whole trip, so I'm actually excited about writing it all down.

Thanks Lacy!

I've read all your reviews till now (and many from others too) that I can't remember who wrote what.

Love your style of writing, so easy to read, and all the detail - really entertaining and very informative.

I'll be checking back later to see the latest! :)

Helga

Latest post is up! Thanks for all your patience and kind notes.

Day 7: Kona

Thanks so much Lacy.............I was getting "concerned" when we didn't see you post. We are considering Capt.Zodiac.........which sounds similar to your snorkeling trip. Didn't think about the early tendering.....will have to put that in my "notes"! :)

Thanks so much Lacy.............I was getting "concerned" when we didn't see you post. We are considering Capt.Zodiac.........which sounds similar to your snorkeling trip. Didn't think about the early tendering.....will have to put that in my "notes"! :)

I'm sure the tour with Captain Zodiac would be great, too. We booked with Seaquest because another reviewer wrote that it was the best time they had the whole cruise, so I figured we couldn't go wrong with them, and also because they had multiple snorkeling stops. With Captain Zodiac I believe you only get the one stop (Kealakekua), but it's the best one, so I don't think that would be much of an issue! We also wanted a larger, more covered boat, which was one of the reasons we picked Seaquest. But that's just a personal preference. Seaquest's boats are zodiacs, too, it's just that the one for the full morning tour that we were on is much larger, with places to stow things and shade for when it's hot. It was similar to the zodiac we took with Ultimate Whale Watch, though not quite as big.

Great review...do you keep a daily journal while travelling?

Helga

Thanks, Helga! I SHOULD keep a daily journal, at least to jot down people's names and such, but I never do. This is all from memory (and keeping my pictures in order helps), so I need to get it all down soon before I forget things!

I'm sure the tour with Captain Zodiac would be great, too. We booked with Seaquest because another reviewer wrote that it was the best time they had the whole cruise, so I figured we couldn't go wrong with them, and also because they had multiple snorkeling stops. With Captain Zodiac I believe you only get the one stop (Kealakekua), but it's the best one, so I don't think that would be much of an issue! We also wanted a larger, more covered boat, which was one of the reasons we picked Seaquest. But that's just a personal preference. Seaquest's boats are zodiacs, too, it's just that the one for the full morning tour that we were on is much larger, with places to stow things and shade for when it's hot. It was similar to the zodiac we took with Ultimate Whale Watch, though not quite as big.

Thanks, Helga! I SHOULD keep a daily journal, at least to jot down people's names and such, but I never do. This is all from memory (and keeping my pictures in order helps), so I need to get it all down soon before I forget things!

Well all I can say is that you are extremely talented! I do take a journal along but I really struggle with writing. If I didn't though, all the days would get mixed up..

:) Helga

Nice review, haven't gotten through much yet but I find it very informative. We'll be going in Sept and it's been a lone time since we have taken NCL. Based upon some of your room comments, they still do things the old way. Fortunately, as you and others have said, it's a port intensive cruise and you are not on the ship that much. It's also good that you posted it here instead of on the NCL thread. Based upon what I have read in them negative comments are pummeled.

So I will continue reading...

Dan

Car vs. tour: entirely your call, of course, but it would just depend on priorities I think. Akaka Falls was my favorite part of the day, so I really wouldn't want to miss it. But if you aren't a huge waterfall person and think they're pretty much all the same, it might not be as big a deal to you. I will say Hilo is one of the easiest places to drive around (other than that bizarre detour we took). I don't think I would want to do Volcanoes with a tour, either, because I like to look at places at my leisure, which sometimes means spending a long time at once place that tour company might treat as only a photo stop or even skip, and sometimes skipping or taking a photo stop at some place a tour company might expect you to spend some time. For example, when we were at Waimea Canyon in Kauai, we stopped at overlook where there were several buses. We got out, used the restroom, took our time photographing all the different angles, and still were back in the car and gone before the buses left. There were a lot of people on the tour just sitting around on the sidewalk, bored, waiting for the buses to leave. So that's the kind of thing DH and I try to avoid, and the reason why we always rent a car over take a tour when we feel it's possible.

Appreciate your insight, we are schedule for a 6 person tour, not a huge bus. DH is not totally "with" renting cars in each port.............So, I'm ok with it..........:D I'm hoping that it works for us.

Hi Lacy,

really enjoying your trip reports. we are cruising POA in July and getting a lot of good information from what you have written.

Did you like Seaquest and would you recommend them? Did they do a good job?

thanks, ellen

Did you like Seaquest and would you recommend them? Did they do a good job?

thanks, ellen

Absolutely. We had a fantastic time with them. You do have to factor in they are a bit pricier because you have to take a taxi out to them (about $50 round trip), but I couldn't find a comparable tour close to Kona, and they came highly recommended from other Cruise Critics. We were the only people with them from the ship that day, but if you have an active roll call (we didn't), maybe you could find someone else who wants to do the tour too and you could share a taxi.

:) I'm looking forward to the next installment! :)

I hope to have it up in the next couple of days! The photos are all loaded; just have to write the thing now. :p

I was wondering about the "Mountain Riders" tour, how far in advance did you book the tour? we are going in October and don't want to miss out.

I booked all my tours and reservations at the beginning of November, so about two months out from sail date. I didn't have trouble getting any of the tours or times I wanted. I was only booking for two, though, so it might depend on how many people you have in your party.

Hi Lacy,

Since you have such wonderful pictures on your blog I figure your somewhat of a camera junkie;)

My DH has a canon 7D with a battery grip which is heavy:(. So we are wondering if carrying it on the bike will be a problem? where did you guys put your camera during the ride?

Thanks

Hi Lacy,

Since you have such wonderful pictures on your blog I figure your somewhat of a camera junkie;)

My DH has a canon 7D with a battery grip which is heavy:(. So we are wondering if carrying it on the bike will be a problem? where did you guys put your camera during the ride?

Thanks

We left our big camera in the van. The van stays right behind you almost the whole way down, and you can leave anything you want in it. We shed clothing the whole way down as we moved into warmer areas and left all our extra clothes in the van. When we stopped for that photo opp at (where we are on the bike overlooking the northern end of the island), we were able to get into the van to get our cameras. I kept my point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix in my coat pocket on the way down, but I couldn't really use it. You're going too fast on the way down and there are so many tight turns, you really have to hold on to both handlebars. If you are a really confident bike rider, though, you might could take some with a point-and-shoot once you reach some of the less-steep areas.

Where is Kauai Day 1, you might ask? Well, I started the first one, it was going on forever, so I started the second one and wrote it much quicker, and then I accidentally hit "Publish" instead of "Save for later." So Day 2 is up before Day 1, for which I apologize, but I decided to go ahead and link it for all of you out there who've been patiently waiting. So without further ado...

Kauai Day 2

Your pictures are gorgeous ! I have so enjoyed your review/blog. I'm sure I'll have some final questions for you (hope you don't mind). In the final planning stage of our "adventure". Hope all is well !

btw: had the Nikon Cool-pix ................:( did not like ! Ended up with another point and shoot but with a Leica lens - perfect for me !

Your pictures are gorgeous ! I have so enjoyed your review/blog. I'm sure I'll have some final questions for you (hope you don't mind). In the final planning stage of our "adventure". Hope all is well !

btw: had the Nikon Cool-pix ................:( did not like ! Ended up with another point and shoot but with a Leica lens - perfect for me !

Thanks, Jane! Ask away, and I will do my best to answer.

My first point-and-shoot was a Nikon (as all my cameras have been until we bought the Canon DSLR a few months ago), and sadly it took MUCH better pictures than the little Coolpix I bought a year ago. I thought I was "upgrading" by getting a sleeker, thinner model with a better zoom, wide angle lens, and higher megapixel, but my old camera was actually superior in terms of sharpness and color saturation. (Too bad I'd already given it to my grandmother.) What point-and-shoot are you using now? I will probably be on the lookout for one in the next six months or so.

Another great review Lacy...your reviews add so much to the anticipation of our up-coming trip/cruise to Hawaii!

Our first cruise ever was to the Mediterranean in Sept 2009. I did not give much thought to the camera that I was using, an inexpensive point and shoot as well which ended up overheating (I think) from the many photos I was taking. Thank goodness my daughter gave me her camera along for a back up "just in case"...

Now I have a Canon G11 - that takes fabulous shots, even night shots without flash...it just seems to absorb so much light from the smallest sources that it is not needed. The features that I like is that it has the screen that can be flipped for self portraits - great for couple shots, and a view finder for the super sunny days.

And I've recently discovered creating on-line photo albums. If you've never tried it, it is a lot of fun.

Before our cruise in Hawaii we will be spending a few days in Honolulu, so I am looking forward to your next review.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do these for us,

Helga :)

What point-and-shoot are you using now? I will probably be on the lookout for one in the next six months or so.

It's the Panasonic Lumix 16mp I'm so happy with it. Consumers gave it a decent rating for the size and price (wanted something that would fit in my pocket). Believe it or not, we bought it in Costco ! I loved, loved, loved my old 35mm Canon. Just got so old and heavy!

Another great review Lacy...your reviews add so much to the anticipation of our up-coming trip/cruise to Hawaii!

Our first cruise ever was to the Mediterranean in Sept 2009. I did not give much thought to the camera that I was using, an inexpensive point and shoot as well which ended up overheating (I think) from the many photos I was taking. Thank goodness my daughter gave me her camera along for a back up "just in case"...

Now I have a Canon G11 - that takes fabulous shots, even night shots without flash...it just seems to absorb so much light from the smallest sources that it is not needed. The features that I like is that it has the screen that can be flipped for self portraits - great for couple shots, and a view finder for the super sunny days.

And I've recently discovered creating on-line photo albums. If you've never tried it, it is a lot of fun.

Before our cruise in Hawaii we will be spending a few days in Honolulu, so I am looking forward to your next review.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do these for us,

Helga :)

Thanks, Helga! I checked out the Canon G11; it looks great but looks a little bulky for what I'm wanting. We have our big DSLR (which DH usually uses when we travel), and I have a Nikon P90 I use when I want a better zoom and something between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR, but I also like something really compact that I can keep in my pocket and look less "touristy."

By online photo albums, do you mean those photo albums you can make online and have printed through photo companies (Shutterfly, Snapfish, Picaboo, etc.)? If so, yes! I've recently started doing that because I haven't printed any of our photos in years, I just keep them in digital folders, but it's amazing the kinds of books you can produce now. I just had our wedding album done through Adoramapix, and I would highly recommend them! I think I'm going to do a Hawaii album with them next.

When do you leave for Hawaii? I want to make sure I have our last Honolulu day posted before you go. We went to Kualoa Ranch, the North Shore, Dole Plantation, and Hilo Hattie's that day.

It's the Panasonic Lumix 16mp I'm so happy with it. Consumers gave it a decent rating for the size and price (wanted something that would fit in my pocket). Believe it or not, we bought it in Costco ! I loved, loved, loved my old 35mm Canon. Just got so old and heavy!

I will have to check that one out! Is it this one, by any chance?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FH25K-16-1MP-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B004NBZ8DQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331144071&sr=1-3

If so, great price! And it even comes in purple like my Nikon.

I will have to check that one out! Is it this one, by any chance?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FH25K-16-1MP-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B004NBZ8DQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331144071&sr=1-3

If so, great price! And it even comes in purple like my Nikon.

It looks like the same..............my choice of colors was "black" :D It also cost about $140-150 but that was not quite a year ago. Still had the Coolpix for dtr. wedding in April ..........on the Jewel in May and it totally "died" ! :eek: I almost never have it in it's case, usually in my pocket, pocketbook or golf bag ! I just took some pictures inside of stained glass windows at the Lightner Museum in St. Augustine, no flash, I'll try to post.

Lacy, a couple of questions....................

Duke's in Waikiki - did you sit inside or out? Did you make reservations for any other restaurants in Waikiki either before or after cruise?

When you rented the cars, did you use as your "reserve" time, the time the ship docked ? That's what I did but I'm second guessing myself. Was the convertible worth it? Thought I might surprise hubby. Would Maui be the best weather for that or perhaps Ohau?

You mentioned parking underground in Lahainia for the Feast & the next day, cost? Landmark as to where the parking was in relationship to the Feast?

Still debating Maui................thought we'd do a little of the "UpCountry" and then "wing it".

Thanks for all your help !!!!

I just took some pictures inside of stained glass windows at the Lightner Museum in St. Augustine, no flash, I'll try to post.

Well, that didn't work. You can adjust the mp from 3 to 16 on the settings...............I took at 16, not able to upload to CC. If you want to see a sample, I will email it to you. :o

Archived