Two Formal Nights = 2 Cocktails Dresses?

Teacher_91

I haven't cruised in over 10 years. Are people really dressing this casually on formal nights? I am planning on bringing two cocktail dresses for only a 3 night! :o I rarely have the chance to dress up in my normal day to day life, not even on New years, so I would like to go all out. Hoping I won't be overdressed.

Remember, it takes all kinds. That dress is something I would wear on a regular dinner night. I like to dress up for dinner every night. And then i get all decked out on formal night. That's just me, though.

Remember, it takes all kinds. That dress is something I would wear on a regular dinner night. I like to dress up for dinner every night. And then i get all decked out on formal night. That's just me, though.

My next cruise will be my first on Carnival. I was under the impression that it wasn't very formal. Do the majority still wear long gowns even though Carnival dropped formal night and switched to elegant night? I know there will be a mix but what's the majority?

My next cruise will be my first on Carnival. I was under the impression that it wasn't very formal. Do the majority still wear long gowns even though Carnival dropped formal night and switched to elegant night? I know there will be a mix but what's the majority?

IMO the majority dress up. Aren't formal and elegant the same? I see tons of long gowns.

The formal to "elegant" switch mainly affected the men (and in turn, what women wear to compliment their men). Instead of being asked to wear a tux or a suit, I believe a sports coat or maybe even no jacket is required.

However, that doesn't mean your guy can't wear a tux or a suit if he wants to - I still saw many men in tuxes and suits on my last Carnival cruise.

For ladies, anything from a cocktail dress to a floor-length formal gown would be appropriate. :)

I assumed those dresses were for formal nights, as this thread is asking about formal night. I am planning on dressing up on non formal nights as well, just not as dressy. But still a dress. :)

I assumed those dresses were for formal nights, as this thread is asking about formal night. I am planning on dressing up on non formal nights as well, just not as dressy. But still a dress. :)

I think they were posted as a suggestion for a formal night. I wouldnt choose them for that purpose though.

I'm glad others still enjoy dressing up!

IMO the majority dress up. Aren't formal and elegant the same? I see tons of long gowns.

I don't own those dresses, but I did suggest them for elegant (not formal) night. I did think elegant was more casual than formal. I'm planning to wear one of my many little black dresses. These are what I consider cocktail dresses and I'm ok with being more casual than others.

To me:

Formal=prom dress or wedding type dress/tux

Semi formal =homecoming dress/suit

Elegant =party dresses/shirts and ties.

Casual= Sun dresses, capris, jeans/ short sleeve shirts with collars.

But who cares as long as we all have fun.

I don't own those dresses, but I did suggest them for elegant (not formal) night. I did think elegant was more casual than formal. I'm planning to wear one of my many little black dresses. These are what I consider cocktail dresses and I'm ok with being more casual than others.

To me:

Formal=prom dress or wedding type dress/tux

Semi formal =homecoming dress/suit

Elegant =party dresses/shirts and ties.

Casual= Sun dresses, capris, jeans/ short sleeve shirts with collars.

But who cares as long as we all have fun.

Like I said, it takes all kinds. I saw people show up in much less than you are describing. I will still go for formal and DF will wear his tux. I love getting all decked out.

For my first cruise (Alaska in June) I'm going to bring a reversible dress, http://www.amazon.com/GoLite-Womens-Cayambe-Reversible-Travel/dp/B003BT4KKS

I'm planning a silver wrap, silver shoes, different accessories. My goal is to get everything for the seven days into my carry on luggage. Wish me luck!

wow what a great idea! thanks!

UPDATE!

I bought two new dresses today. They are both black. One is a 'one shoulder' knee length cocktail dress. This one is roushed and has a little "sparkle" at the waist. The other is a "flowy" ankle length dress with a chiffon overlay. It has a 'v' neck and a few 'sparkles' on a 'detailed' bodice, with 1" shoulder straps. I love them both and the best news... they were on sale! :)

I hate to wish my life away, but I can't wait to wear them! :p

I have several jersey knit dresses that I sometimes pack for casual nights. To me, they are easier to pack than pants/tops. They take up less space and better yet, they don't wrinkle.

I have several jersey knit dresses that I sometimes pack for casual nights. To me, they are easier to pack than pants/tops. They take up less space and better yet, they don't wrinkle.

I was thinking about doing the same thing! :) In addition to packing 'easier' they are also more comfortable!

Yup I love dressing up! A bit more than two weeks for me! :):):)

I love dressing up too on cruises and wear dresses instead of pants on non-formal nights. For the formal or elegant nights I pack a long gown and a short cocktail dress. Dressing up is part of the fun when you cruise!

Have a great cruise! :) Mine is coming up this Friday!

Archived