Two Formal Nights = 2 Cocktails Dresses?

Teacher_91

This will be the Mr. & my first cruise together. In July we are sailing from Seattle to Alaska via the STAR Princess. We are very excited!! :) In our day to day life, we don't have a lot of opportunities to dress up, (correction - no opportunities!), so he's decided he'll rent a tux and I'm shopping for dresses. Do you usually take two different cocktail dresses? He'll be wearing the same tux (of course ;)) but two different shirts. I've found two and so part of me would like to wear them both, but then the voice of reason whispers, 'what will you do with ONE much less TWO dresses later?' Any advice or words of wisdom from you ladies in the know?

BTW.... I've just found my way to this section and I'm LOVING it! Lots of great threads, advice, info here!! :)

I always wear two different formal dresses, but it would be perfectly acceptable to rewear the same one. Unless it's a really flashy dress, I doubt anyone will notice, except maybe your tablemates if you have them (and even then - it would be absolutely rude for anyone to say anything about it). But if you want to wear both dresse you've found, I say go for it - it's vacation, consider the dresses as part of your cruise! As for what you'll do with two dresses later - you'll wear them on more cruises! :D

I always wear two different formal dresses, but it would be perfectly acceptable to rewear the same one. Unless it's a really flashy dress, I doubt anyone will notice, except maybe your tablemates if you have them (and even then - it would be absolutely rude for anyone to say anything about it). But if you want to wear both dresse you've found, I say go for it - it's vacation, consider the dresses as part of your cruise! As for what you'll do with two dresses later - you'll wear them on more cruises! :D

I like the way you think!! :)

This is exactly what my answer would be, except I'd change formal dresses to cocktail dresses.

If there are two formal nights I bring two different dresses. If it's a longer cruise I bring a pair of black pants or skirt and some sparkly tops to interchange as well and maybe even another easily packable dress.

I don't choose dresses that are hard to pack or take up a lot of space.

It's perfectly ok though to wear the same dress each night. You can always change it up with different accessories. If it's a really unique dress I might not wear it twice on a 7-day.

I literally have no place to wear formal clothes or even cocktail dresses except on cruises, but I still buy them whenever I find a great price.

My granddaughters love dressing up in them, though!

For my first cruise (Alaska in June) I'm going to bring a reversible dress, http://www.amazon.com/GoLite-Womens-Cayambe-Reversible-Travel/dp/B003BT4KKS

I'm planning a silver wrap, silver shoes, different accessories. My goal is to get everything for the seven days into my carry on luggage. Wish me luck!

This one is reversible and can be also be worn multiple ways!

http://www.amazon.com/Convertible-Dress-Skirt-Different-Looks/dp/B0028IOXAU/ref=sr_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1326779754&sr=1-4

I completely understand the "how to justify the purchase of something that I would not normally wear in real life" issue. I solved it by going to Marshalls to buy my formal gowns. I would normally never shop there, but surprisingly they had a great formalwear selection, and the prices were crazy good at clearance time. I picked up 5 very pretty cocktail dresses for just over $60, one of them is floor length. Now I have different dress to wear every night of my cruise (adding to the ones I already had). :)

Now - In my day to day life I would probably only wear a couple of these dresses again, (for date nights with DH if we went somewhere fancy), but for $60, I am ok with it being a "mainly for cruising" purchase.

I have done both.... A different dress for every formal night and one skirt with various tops. I didn't regret my choice either time. Do what you want (and what works for your suitcase) and know that there's will be others on board doing the same thing you are.... whatever you decide to do. Enjoy!

I'm going to get two. I figure I can either take them to a local resell shop or just wear them on our next cruise. I'm sure there will be another (and another) as I'm now 'hooked' and I haven't even left yet! LOL! :D

It happens every time!:D

If you have the space and inclination, you can certainly bring two. It's also perfectly acceptable to bring only one, and many people do this. When packing light, I bring one simple black dress and change the jewelry and wrap. I have also brough one pair of flowy pants or one skirt and changed the tops. I always save space by wearing the same shoes for both formal nights - strappy sandals or closed-toe slingbacks (when I want the option of wearing hose)

...so he's decided he'll rent a tux and I'm shopping for dresses....He'll be wearing the same tux (of course ;)) but two different shirts....

Sorry, bear with me... with a rented tux, both the shirts are the same color, you knew this? They will both be white. Just wanted you and DH to realize this.

Enjoy your dress shopping and your cruise. I'm sure you will wear them again, whatever you choose. :)

You will cruise again........Do whatever makes you comfortable. I always take two different dresses sometimes long formals and sometimes cocktail dresses.

We were going to rent a tux for our first cruise but found a great price at JC Penney and ended up purchasing it and using for our next 8 cruises and plan on using it more and more. We have added different vests and cumberbunds it was money well spent and it paid for itself on the first cruise. I shop ebay for dresses and hit the upscale stores clearance sales online. Have found Calvin Klein dresses for less than 20 dollars.

Enjoy and welcome to the cruise addiction:D

Sorry, bear with me... with a rented tux, both the shirts are the same color, you knew this? They will both be white. Just wanted you and DH to realize this.

Enjoy your dress shopping and your cruise. I'm sure you will wear them again, whatever you choose. :)

Well I totally misread the following description: "2 Soft microfiber lay down collar shirts (one solid and one pinstripe in white only)" I was thinking 'pinstripe' meant a color. :o Oh well! No matter. At least he will have a clean shirt to put on both nights! I learn something every time I read a post on CC! :D

Thank you for the clarification!

Another question....

The Mr. & I are doing an Alaskan Cruise in July. For now (meaning if I don't find something I like better ;)) I've got a strapless cocktail dress and a one-shouldered cocktail dress. Do you think I'll be cold?

No more than on any other ship--the dining room is inside, after all.

But, I usually take a nice sweater or jacket because sometimes the dining rooms are cold, even in hot weather cruises.

On deck at night you might be cool for sure. But I'm rarely outside in my formal wear, especially in Alaska.

No more than on any other ship--the dining room is inside, after all.

But, I usually take a nice sweater or jacket because sometimes the dining rooms are cold, even in hot weather cruises.

On deck at night you might be cool for sure. But I'm rarely outside in my formal wear, especially in Alaska.

Thanks Nebr.Cruiser! :)

Or bring one those dresses that can be worn multiple ways. Here is a couple at Victoria Secret and American Apparel

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265669549607&c=Page&cid=1321713090449&pagename=vsdWrapper

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa8339.html

I haven't cruised in over 10 years. Are people really dressing this casually on formal nights? I am planning on bringing two cocktail dresses for only a 3 night! :o I rarely have the chance to dress up in my normal day to day life, not even on New years, so I would like to go all out. Hoping I won't be overdressed.

Archived