Help me understand drink tickets

oceancruiser1

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand drink tickets. On the Bon Voyage page is says, "Each coupon is good for one drink not exceeding $5.75 gratuities included." Is that what most drinks cost these days... I thought they were something like $7.95?

Yes most drinks cost more. You pay the difference. Its like paying down your bill so you dont have much of a shock at end of cruise. Which would you rather see 8.00 or 2.00 on your Sign N Sail? They can be a bother cause you have to carry them with you. But I purchase a set each month, plus the beverage coupon for my chaser. I also get the liquor from Bon Voyage so I dont have to worry about smuggling and getting caught. It all helps with the bottom line. My next cruise Im trying the Funship Dollars. I hear you can use them as OBC so Im gonna do that so my cruise will be paid for before I even sail. Hope this helps.

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand drink tickets. On the Bon Voyage page is says, "Each coupon is good for one drink not exceeding $5.75 gratuities included." Is that what most drinks cost these days... I thought they were something like $7.95?

I receive coupons from the Players Club.

Most bartenders on Glory over Thanksgiving would take my ticket and call it even. One or two took the ticket and gave me a receipt to sign with a additional amount. Same drink - Same Size - Same Bar - Different Bartender.

your right, what they do is charge the difference to your S&S card,,

well for me, 1 bar did charge the extra, but another didn't..so it's hit or miss, but more often they will charge you the difference

hope this helps

The idea of paying $5.75 for coupons is that it is supposed to be $5 for the drink and $.75 for the gratituity. But I noticed when we were on the Spirit a few months ago they would deduct $5.75 from the drink price and then only add 15% to the balance. So for an $8 drink with the coupon I should have been charged $3 plus 15%. But I was being charged $2.25 plus 15%. I've always been charged the extra, even when it was 75 cents for a beer. :o

yes fengshui, i realized that on my last cruise that my drinks were almost a 1.00 less when i used my coupon. then one day a poster was responding to another and that 1.00 is basically towards the gratuity.

to the OP, i also purchase the drink coupons and even the photo coupons. I like to prepay for as much of my vacation as i can. rather see a smaller s&s at the end of the cruise lol.

You can use the coupons on any drink, anything over that 5.75 is added to your s&s plus the gratuity (the 5.75 includes gratuity) . yes you have to carry them around, but we also have to for our s&s card. I also carry a camera, so they can go in there. I use a fanny pack as i am a smoker.

The funship dollars is a way to prepay and not have to carry coupons. I've thought of them, and don't know why, but I haven't yet purchased them. When you purchase them, just have them applied right to your s&s account, do not have them mailed to you. just keep your copies of receipts to take with you to verify how much OBC you should have. If there is any left over, you will get a check in your room the last night.

Thanks for the info everyone. I can't say I've seen alot of people using them before but maybe I wasn't looking for them. I think I'll buy some and try the tip thing and see how it works out. I'll let you know, we leave in a month on the Valor. :-)

Does anyone know for sure that the waitstaff are getting the tips from these pre-paid drink coupons? I ask b/c it seems like the only person not making money are the people making/delivering the drinks. Unless Carnival is taking the hit on the drinks when the coupon is used, I fear that they advertise the "included gratuity" but has anyone asked the staff if they truely get the tip at the end of the day? I want to save a buck, but not at their expense.:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

We have used them on our previous two cruises and very rarely got charged above the value of the coupon. We find that making friends with one or two particular servers (we like to hang out near the aft pools usually) is to our benefit. We give them a nice cash tip at the beginning of the week and explain we will be using the coupons....has worked for us both times. Getting to know the staff goes a looooong way!:) We also give another generous cash tip directly to the servers at the end of the cruise (above and beyond the included prepaid tips).

Archived