RV land tour or car

ajpmom

We are doing 7-9 days after our cruise. Is it better to rent and RV and tour or just get a car? We plan on spending 2 days in Seward when we arrive and then take the train to Anchorage to get either the car or RV and spend 3 days in Denali and I am not sure where else at this point.

It will be my mother, and my two sons ages 6 and 12. Thanks for your help.

Rachael

I am just concerned that we might have trouble finding a place to stay each night as well as I have heard that they only give you a blanket or two. We wont be able to bring any equipment with us.

I am very familiar with camping and RV's. My parents own a RV park and resort, so that is not an issue.

I was concerned that we maybe able to see more of the area with a car. I know there are areas that RV's cannot get into in national parks in California and I guess it might be that way there too.

Thanks we just can't decide which way and I am glad for anyones input.

You can't self drive any sort of vehicle very far into Denali National Park.

I would do an RV. If you really need extra blankets you can request them from your RV rental company or buy inexpensive ones in Anchorage. You will need a bottle of Windex to keep your windows clean, but there are plenty of shopping opportunities in Anchorage and in Wasilla.

Bring your Sam's/Costco membership cards.

I don't know what make one option "better". Price? I've done both and they're very different experiences.

I rented an RV for 2 weeks and travelled 2200+ miles. The RV was better for that trip because we wanted the freedom to drive as far or as little as we wanted, and overnight where we wanted. We didn't want to rush off to the next destination because we had a hotel reservation to keep. We made reservations at Denali because we wanted to ensure a campssite INSIDE the park and seats on the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. BTW, you can only drive the first 15 miles of the park road in Denali (or take the free shuttle to that point). http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/index.htm

We rented from Great Alaska Holidays; very professional company. I hear ABC Motorhome is good too. We had too many blankets! (Took up valuable storage space.) For kids I would suggest cheap sleeping bags plus the RV blanket. That will save you from making up the beds every night then folding everything up each morning!

If you stay in hotels/cabins, your itinerary must be fixed. Since you only have a week after your time in Seward, it would be easy enough to plan an itinerary and book hotels.

With a family of 4, an RV might be cheaper. Gas is certainly more with an RV since you average 10mpg, but OTOH you save on 3 meals a day in restaurants. You'll need to do a cost analysis. Do you need 2 rooms? or 3 or 4 beds? or one room with 2 queen beds? If one room you can find cabins with micro and fridge for an average of $160 a night. Then you could at least make your own breakfasts.

Visit the Alaska forum of www.tripadvisor.com Under the top questions you'll find a link to trip reports from last summer, and also a blurb about RV rentals. And borrow some Alaska travel books from the library to figure out what everyone wants to see and do.

I was concerned that we maybe able to see more of the area with a car. I know there are areas that RV's cannot get into in national parks in California and I guess it might be that way there too.

I would say this is a non-issue. About the only problem you might encounter is difficulty finding parking in downtown Anchorage (since you won't have the options of fitting in the municipal parking ramps). However, there are open-air lots and street parking.

Worst case, you park the RV at a nearby shopping center parking lot, and take a cab into downtown.

Along the road, and at the tourist destinations, there is plenty of large vehicle parking space. Particularly since you are already are familiar with camping, I'd encourage you to do the RV. You'll have the option of staying in established campsites, or boondocking.

We LOVED Rv'ing in Alaska. You will certainly not regret it. We were so apprehensive beforehand, and it just turned out to be so easy, and so enjoyable. We went with Great Alaskan Holidays - excellent to deal with.

We went during the last week and a half of August last year. The only place we made reservations was in Denali. I don't even think we had to have them there. We got spots all over Alaska no problems without reservations, but this could be different at different times of year.

The RV company will give you more blankets if you need them. There may be a minimal charge. You will have heat in the RV too.

Don't hesitate to RV in Alaska, you will not be sorry.

We've also done both - car and RV. If your priority is 3 days in Denali then definitely go for the RV. We made reservations for 3 nights in Denali and it was definitely the highlight of our 2 weeks. Wish we had made reservations for 4-5 nights! Laurie

Since I live in Alaska I have obviously never rented an RV in the state. But it is my understanding that there is at least one company in Anchorage which rents RVs with all the equipment you will ever need. I owned a gift shop in Fairbanks and through the years had a number of tourists telling me how all they needed was their clothes and toiletries. One couple told me how much they were enjoying Alaskan wild salmon, which they were buying in local grocery stores and cooking outside on the little hibachi provided with the RV.

I have rented RV's from both the major RV companies out of Anchorage. The RV's do come completely supplied. IF you need "extra" blankets, then it is a simple matter to request them.

Unfortunately the deals for RV rentals are in the fall prior with some very good sales. At this point, see what may be available and compare your rates. It is of no issue "finding" spots, in Alaska.

Archived