FYI CDC statistics for the Norwegian Crown

cmitch9999

HI

I had emailed the CDC to get the statistics on the GI illness (Norwalk)for the Norwegian Crown. these are the figures they sent to me. I can forward the email to anyone interested.

Date of Voyage

3/7-3/22 535 crew - 10 crew sick

989 passengers - 169 sick

3/22-4/04 546 crew - 8 sick

1028 passengers - 45 sick

4/4-4/18 546 crew - 4 sick

985 passengers - 11 sick

4/18-4/25 548 crew - 3 sick

1212 passengers - 14 sick

4/25-5/2 crew 536 - 2 sick

passengers 1109 - 43 sick

5/2-5/9 crew 541 - 6 sick

passengers 1070 - 39 sick

--------------------------

Stay healthy everyone

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

I just can't take the chance of wasting my hard earned holiday dollars.

We had one unfortunate cruise with NCL on the Wind to Hawaii and were willing to give NCL another chance, but after reading the reviews and now this ongoing problem that doesn't seem to be taken care of, I have grave concerns about ncl's desire to provide good value.

We are in the process of cancelling our booked cruise to Canada/New England now. We were so looking forward to this itinerary and cruise, but it can't be worth having another spoiled vacation....The problems with this ship seem to outweigh any good points...

Although I understand your concerns, you have to remember that the Norwalk virus is past topically. By that, I mean you have to touch something that has been infected and then make contact with a mucous membrane (eys, nose, mouth). If you continually wash your hands, you should be fine. Heck, you could even wear disposable food handlers gloves to be safe as you never know what is on those buffet spatchulas.

Norwalk is a common virus and often is found in places where a lot of people congregate, especially in schools.

Previously, someone mentioned that perhaps the crew is somewhat to blame as they remain sick and keep infecting the ship. Does anyone know what NCL's policy is on this? In the past, crew members were reluctant to report their own illness as they would be isolated and unable to earn tips. To remedy this problem, Princess, for instance, instituted a policy in which the crewmember is not financially penalized for reporting their own illness. Is this something NCL needs to consider?

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

The other way to catch it is from an infected food handler who does not use good after bathroom hygiene and they contaminate the food! So it is very important that crew in the food service part of the ship be quarantined, I read for 72 hrs after last symptom.

Chris Mitchell

I emailed back the CDC agent and she said so far this weeks sailing is doing ok... only Tues tho!!! icon_smile.gif

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

In short, it's as likely that the virus has been brought on board by a guest as by crew or an officer, etc. Each week when the ship turns around for a new cruise crew members change, the passengers change, new supplies are brought on board, porters are handling bags that have been handled by the airlines, etc.

The big deal being made of this is amazing. A friend of mine went out to a very popular and very good Mexican retaurant in our town on Saturday night. He, and not anyone else in his group, got an intestinal virus. It happens in restaurants and hotels and schools across the country and never makes news.

This is not legionaires disease folks, it's Montezuma's revenge. Do what you can to keep yourself from it and trust that it's in the best interest of the cruise line to do what ever it can to keep it from arising.

And please, by all means, enjoy your cruise.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hobbsey:

The big deal being made of this is amazing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree. This happens everywhere. And it's not just stomach bugs. I went on the brand new Mariner of the Seas in January. I was very careful about what I touched. I took disenfectant wipes on board with me. I carried Purell in my purse. I washed my hands often. But still, on day 5 I started to get a stuffy head and a cough. By the end of the week I had a full blown cold in the middle of the Caribbean. These things happen. And I realy believe that the cruise lines do their best to stop it. I wouldn't cancel a trip becasue of the chance of illness. I'd go better prepared.

The Crown has passed all of the listed inspections on the CDC website (they only show the last 4) with scores from 93 to 96.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Sounds like thier scores are pretty high. As for picking up the virus, DH and I had mild cases last week. It started on a Monday with me; at first I actually thought maybe I had drank too much wine the night before (no kidding) even though I had only drank a few glasses. As the day went on I felt worst, spent the day in the bathroom and for the first time in maybe 20 or more years I was sick to my stomach. Still no clue, next day hubby had the same thing. We spent most of last week totally drained, could hardly function and I couldn't even think about food. Too bad I didn't lose about 50 lbs. We are fine now: no idea where we picked it up, but that is exactly what we had. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

We just returned from the NCL Dawn on 5/9/04. No one was sick that I know of. Every time you entered a dining area they made you wash your hands with a disinfectant. NCL is making a concious effort to avoid any person to person virus.

It was a great cruise by the way.

Archived