Caye Caulker tour with Coral Breeze

mojosmama

Frankly I do not know why everyone raves about this tour. I have been on it twice now and both times we had the same experience. Depending on the ship, your day starts by waiting in line to get a tender ticket, wait in line to get on the tender, then take a 15-20 minute tender ride to shore. They tell you make sure you get the first available tender and to show up at the peir as early as possible. Once you arrive at the peir they sign you in and tell you they are just waiting on the other prebooked passangers to show up. In reality, while you are wasting your valuable vacation/port time they are busy trying to fill the boat by selling more excursions. Both times after waiting around more than an hour (after scheduled departure time) they start to load the boat. I don't know about you, but my port time is too valuable to waste sitting on the pier with nothing to do so they can get their act together. If you have never been to Belize you could spend some time walking around the port area, but there is not much to do/see.

Next you take off on an overcrowded (about 20 people each time) small boat for a ~45 minute boat ride. While it is somewhat senic, it is a little rough and boring after a while. Then you arrive at Caye Caulker where they waste another 20-30 minutes getting three pieces of fish to feed the stingrays later in the day.

Finally after at least 2.5 hours of waiting around (not including the tender time to shore) and riding in a boat you finally arrive at the reef. They now tell you that due to unforseen delays they have to shorten up the snorkeling to get you back on time. Here you play follow the leader for about 30 minutes before getting back on the boat. The snorkeling is fair to good depending on the day, but Roatan (Maya Kay or Tabyana Beach), Grand Cayman (Moby Dick), and St. Lucia (I know different area) are all better if you pick the right excurision. In Roatan and St. Lucia you can do it right from beach at your leisure and the quality is hands down better. Moby Dick in Grand Cayman is also a boat, but much better run. After another short boat ride you arrive at "shark ray alley". This is nice, but again you only spend about 20 minutes in the water and they do not give you food to feed the rays. The rays here are not nearly as tame as Grand Cayman and the water is deeper.

After spending no more than an hour in the water they ferry you back to Caye Caulker for lunch. The island is a neat place to see and the lunch is pretty good. Again due to the unforseen delays earlier you only have about an hour or less to eat lunch and roam around. Then it's back on the boat for anther 45 minute ride back to the pier or longer if you have motor troubles and have to switch the prop like happened to us one time.

They get you back in plenty of time to catch the last tender. Then you wait in another line to get onboard the tender for another 15-20 minute ride back to the ship. By this time it is 5:00 and the ship is pulling anchor.

Bottom line is you spend about 8-9 hours waiting in lines, riding tenders and little boats to snorkel for less than an hour. I realize Belize is a tough port with not many good options, but I cannot reccomend this tour to anyone. I have never booked an excurision through the ship, but in Belize I would see if you could find a ship snorkeling excursion. From what I have read and heard, most ship snorkeling excursions leave directly from the boat thus avoiding the tender. The price of the ship excursion is about the same or maybe even less. Yes there will be more people on the excursion, but you will be on a bigger boat also.

I know I am in the minority here, but I just wanted first timers to realize what they are getting into. Even if everything went as advertised/planned you are still waiting in lines and traveling in small boats to snorkel for a very short time.

Well, don't go anywhere in the third world then:confused: It's not always pretty, but that's just the way it is. Usually won't see as many village dogs around touristy sections, but I have still seen some. There are also plenty or hungry, sickly humans in these countries as well, just so you are aware.

I respect your reply and I am aware of the "human" problems in other countries around the world as well right here in the United States and although I feel that these people should have the intelligence, ability and resources to take care of themselves, I realize that the vast majority do not and need the help of those like us that are more fortunate. Knowing this, I help as much as I can with this problem (donations, volunteer work, etc.).

On the other hand, animals that we as humans have domesticated (dogs, cats, etc.), do not have this ability and rely on us to take care of them. In addition to helping those people in need, I also do what I can for our animal friends.

Seeing any living being, human or animal, in need is heartbreaking.

Here is my review from our trip last year with Coral Breezes. Yes there is waiting involved and I would agree with some of the post above.

here's my take

Belize: Our second port was Belize city. 5 mile tender ride into the city. We didn't book our excursion thru NCL so getting tender tickets was required. We had booked our tour thru Coral Breezes and were expected on pier at 10AM. After a quick breakfast in the buffet we went to deck martini bar area to get the tender tickets. Passengers were already lining up about 7:30 or so for the 8am hand out time. We got in line just before 8 and we got tender #3. They immediately called the first tender, 2nd one about 15 min later. We waited til almost 9am for them to call Tender #3. Brian went down the gangway to check and it appeared they were loading the NCL excursions between tender #'s 2 & 3. NCL uses rather small tenders as compared to the one we had for Carnival last year. The boat was fast and we had a speedy trip in to the pier and made it with plenty of time to spare at the meeting location right in front of the Wet Lizard Bar. Last year we snorked shark alley and sting ray city with Coral Breeze before having a bit of time on Caye Caulker. This time we wanted to have more time to explore the island so opted to just be dropped off in Caye Caulker then meet up with the snorkelers on the island for lunch. Another sunny and warm day we had bout 24 or so passengers on the boat out to Caye Caulker..it's about 45 min ride luckily we had smooth seas for our trip. Henny the tour guide led us off the dock in Caye Caulker at the tropical paradise hotel & restaurant where we would eat lunch later. She called C & N golf carts to come over and pick us up. They arrived bout 5 min later took us a few blocks to their location and we rented a 4 seater golf cart for 1 ½ hrs for $20. Caye Caulker is a very laid back island, somewhat primitive with only 3 or so actual motor vehicles on the island. Most travel by foot, golf cart or bicycles. The roads are all sand and no traffic lights on the island. We headed on the main street to the end of the island where there is a split (water channel) where a hurricane split the island in 2 some years ago. At this location there is a beach bar, small swimming area and sandy beach. No chairs or umbrellas. A crowd of maybe 30 or so were hanging on the beach or by the bar enjoying the sunshine. We put our towels on beach, put our $ in my water wallet and took a dip in the water. Swift current there between the 2 parts of Caye Caulker keeps you moving if you are not careful. We enjoyed the water and saw many tropical tame fish just swimming next to us there. Stayed for maybe a half hour or so, stopping at the bar to have one of the Belkin beers we had been fond of on our last cruise. Exploration of the island took us by the local school where the students were returning from their lunch break. No fancy classrooms, playgrounds or facilities here. Students riding on bikes for the most part, all in uniform. We then headed to the airport which was rather primitive with a remodeled trailer for their terminal. We glimpsed by most of the island hotels and homes, simple concrete structures for the most part. We returned to the tropical paradise hotel where they came to pick up our golf cart. The coral breeze snorkelers had not returned yet so we ordered some conch fritters and a bucket of belikin beer (6 for $10) while we waited. Group joined us and we had lunch we had pre ordered on the boat ride over to Caye Caulker. Filled UP and happy after our beers we had a bit of time to hustle down the main street and found the gift shop to grab a couple souvenirs from our trip before heading back. Another speedy smooth ride back to Belize City we were back in port bout 3:30 decided we had enuff beer for the day and jumped on the tender back to the Spirit. Nice day off ship and we headed up to deck 10 and found just the place to relax before sail away.. Hot tub heaven right by the kid's pirate pool. The trip on Coral Breeze was $45 pp including lunch, we had made a $8 per person deposit ahead of time. This outfit has been in Belize for many years and has been dependable and reliable when we have booked tours with them.

Here is my review from our trip last year with Coral Breezes. Yes there is waiting involved and I would agree with some of the post above.

here's my take

Belize: Our second port was Belize city. 5 mile tender ride into the city. We didn't book our excursion thru NCL so getting tender tickets was required. We had booked our tour thru Coral Breezes and were expected on pier at 10AM. After a quick breakfast in the buffet we went to deck martini bar area to get the tender tickets. Passengers were already lining up about 7:30 or so for the 8am hand out time. We got in line just before 8 and we got tender #3. They immediately called the first tender, 2nd one about 15 min later. We waited til almost 9am for them to call Tender #3. Brian went down the gangway to check and it appeared they were loading the NCL excursions between tender #'s 2 & 3. NCL uses rather small tenders as compared to the one we had for Carnival last year. The boat was fast and we had a speedy trip in to the pier and made it with plenty of time to spare at the meeting location right in front of the Wet Lizard Bar. Last year we snorked shark alley and sting ray city with Coral Breeze before having a bit of time on Caye Caulker. This time we wanted to have more time to explore the island so opted to just be dropped off in Caye Caulker then meet up with the snorkelers on the island for lunch. Another sunny and warm day we had bout 24 or so passengers on the boat out to Caye Caulker..it's about 45 min ride luckily we had smooth seas for our trip. Henny the tour guide led us off the dock in Caye Caulker at the tropical paradise hotel & restaurant where we would eat lunch later. She called C & N golf carts to come over and pick us up. They arrived bout 5 min later took us a few blocks to their location and we rented a 4 seater golf cart for 1 ½ hrs for $20. Caye Caulker is a very laid back island, somewhat primitive with only 3 or so actual motor vehicles on the island. Most travel by foot, golf cart or bicycles. The roads are all sand and no traffic lights on the island. We headed on the main street to the end of the island where there is a split (water channel) where a hurricane split the island in 2 some years ago. At this location there is a beach bar, small swimming area and sandy beach. No chairs or umbrellas. A crowd of maybe 30 or so were hanging on the beach or by the bar enjoying the sunshine. We put our towels on beach, put our $ in my water wallet and took a dip in the water. Swift current there between the 2 parts of Caye Caulker keeps you moving if you are not careful. We enjoyed the water and saw many tropical tame fish just swimming next to us there. Stayed for maybe a half hour or so, stopping at the bar to have one of the Belkin beers we had been fond of on our last cruise. Exploration of the island took us by the local school where the students were returning from their lunch break. No fancy classrooms, playgrounds or facilities here. Students riding on bikes for the most part, all in uniform. We then headed to the airport which was rather primitive with a remodeled trailer for their terminal. We glimpsed by most of the island hotels and homes, simple concrete structures for the most part. We returned to the tropical paradise hotel where they came to pick up our golf cart. The coral breeze snorkelers had not returned yet so we ordered some conch fritters and a bucket of belikin beer (6 for $10) while we waited. Group joined us and we had lunch we had pre ordered on the boat ride over to Caye Caulker. Filled UP and happy after our beers we had a bit of time to hustle down the main street and found the gift shop to grab a couple souvenirs from our trip before heading back. Another speedy smooth ride back to Belize City we were back in port bout 3:30 decided we had enuff beer for the day and jumped on the tender back to the Spirit. Nice day off ship and we headed up to deck 10 and found just the place to relax before sail away.. Hot tub heaven right by the kid's pirate pool. The trip on Coral Breeze was $45 pp including lunch, we had made a $8 per person deposit ahead of time. This outfit has been in Belize for many years and has been dependable and reliable when we have booked tours with them.

Cmitch,

I think your review is fair. I am not suggesting they are not dependable and reliable. I never worried we would miss the ship. My point is when you do the same tour two times and it is delayed both times, it becomes clear that is their normal operating procedure. Some of the waiting and wasted time are related to the cruise line and tenders which you would experience with any excursion at the pier. It is just a lot of wasted time for one hour in the water. I think that people who just want to snorkle would be better served taking a 3 hour ship excursion that leaves from the ship. They would have the same one hour snorkeling and be able to spend the rest of the time on the empty ship or at bannister island if the excursion goes there.

I respect your reply and I am aware of the "human" problems in other countries around the world as well right here in the United States and although I feel that these people should have the intelligence, ability and resources to take care of themselves, I realize that the vast majority do not and need the help of those like us that are more fortunate. Knowing this, I help as much as I can with this problem (donations, volunteer work, etc.).

On the other hand, animals that we as humans have domesticated (dogs, cats, etc.), do not have this ability and rely on us to take care of them. In addition to helping those people in need, I also do what I can for our animal friends.

Seeing any living being, human or animal, in need is heartbreaking.

I don't disagree with anything you say. BUT, you will see many of these dogs, that's just a fact of the third world, maybe not pretty, but don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Just because you don't like seeing it doesn't make it stop existing.

Yes, we did in Mid DEC 2011.

They were great.

But.. we went with them for only the trip to Cay Caulker.

We were the only ones on the boat for the trip, everyone else was for the snorkel.

They droped us off at cay caulker, and the boat hand actually walked us off all the way to the restururant.

They were excellent. However, if you are just looking for a boat to get to Cay Caulker, We feel the regular taxi boats is a better deal $$ at 1/2 cost.

Just be very careful on your return time back to Belize........ ;)

We did the Cay Calker tour with Coral breeze several years ago with our family of five, ages then we 10-16. They took us for two stops to snorkle one with sharks and the other a reef preserve, we then were taken to cay caulker for a lunch and had reserved two golf carts through them that we toured around the island on, we had a fantastic trip.

Just back last week from this tour.

This was our least favorite of the 8 excursions we have ever been on. It was not horrible and had some decent parts but all in all not what we expected and many in our group were disappointed. This is not a snorkel at your ability deal... for us this was a get in the water and get moving. follow the group and stay up. The water was rough and half of the snorkelers immediately went back to the boat.

I am a fair to good swimmer ( scuba dived the day before) and had to work at keeping up. The enjoyment of the reef was lost on following a group and getting a flipper in the face. Maybe we had a rough water day... but never did they mention the challenges although the boat was abuzz with disappointment. We had 20 people or so.. seemed like too many.

The stingrays/nurse sharks part was very cool.. and something a little easier for everyone to enjoy. The skinny first mate young guy was working his ass off to make it the best he could...I am not bashing the effort of the crew. He did a good job.

Just remember this is a 21 mile boat ride and then a follow the leader and keep up snorkel deal.......the Island is ok... and a bit qwerky.

Not the worst day ever... for us we should have done the ruins or another activity.

Thanks to all those that write about their experiences.

We're about to do this tour in 4 weeks. I can't fathom how someone can expect EVERY person on the excursion to be able to get the same tender and arrive at the same time. That lack of common sense just astounds me. Of course there is going to be a wait while the others get tendered to the island. It sounds like there are only 2 tender boats so the 3rd is going to be a bit of a wait from the 2nd.

The rest of the excursion seems to be pretty standard for the island but to complain about the tender process as part of your reason for being unhappy with this tour seems down right stupid as you'd encounter that no matter what you're doing.

Geez ... even though they've been incredibly helpful, sometimes I think I gotta quit reading these boards.

Okay, we are booked on a Coral Breeze trip to Caye Cauker next week. Its not the snorkeling excursion, just the trip to the island. I was on the verge of cancelling after reading this thread and some other info, but then pulled up some YouTube videos and now kinda want to go. If we don't, we'll probably just spend the day on the ship, and we don't really want to do that either.

So, a few questions:

• Is there a beach that we can go to and just hang out for a while? Its hard to tell if there are decent public beaches, or if they all belong to hotels, etc.
  • Can anyone recommend some places where we can hang out on the water and have a couple of beers, and some good places to eat?

Thanks again for the feedback.

We wanted to go to Caulkner with Coral also in March, but they are booked with Carnival, we are on Rccl Mariner, so I took the Bannister Island beach getaway, $45 a person, they pick you up at the ship, you buy your own drinks. I hope it will be good. The other choice to Caulkner is the water taxi, I just can't make myself comfortable with that though. Coral is supposed to be really good. My daughter used them.

Others can provide you with more knowledgeable info but just to get the discussion going...

Based on what you describe, it sounds like the place you should be is at The Split and the Lazy Lizard. Off the pier, head to the main street, hang a right, and keep walking to the end.

When we visited Caye Caulker this past December, the weather wasn't the greatest so our experience may not be typical. We first walked around the island and then eventually made our way to the split. There were some potential beachy areas that we found but in terms of a combination of liveliness and facilities (food and drink), The Split was it.

We had a good time but if the weather cooperated, I'm pretty sure we would have had an amazing time. Best wishes for better weather for you!

Thank you for this post. It will be our first time in Belize, and I battled back and forth about Caye caulkner. I am leary of the water taxi. We don't want to snorkle, just go to Caulkner, but it looks as if that tour with Coral is catered mostly to Carnival, so I booked Bannister Island directly from our ship, so I hope it is OK. My daughter used Coral a couple of years ago, and said they had to wait for them to sell more people. I do not like that part of it, so get me on to Roatan as quick as you can. Thanks again for the in depth info.

Frankly I do not know why everyone raves about this tour. I have been on it twice now and both times we had the same experience. Depending on the ship, your day starts by waiting in line to get a tender ticket, wait in line to get on the tender, then take a 15-20 minute tender ride to shore. They tell you make sure you get the first available tender and to show up at the peir as early as possible. Once you arrive at the peir they sign you in and tell you they are just waiting on the other prebooked passangers to show up. In reality, while you are wasting your valuable vacation/port time they are busy trying to fill the boat by selling more excursions. Both times after waiting around more than an hour (after scheduled departure time) they start to load the boat. I don't know about you, but my port time is too valuable to waste sitting on the pier with nothing to do so they can get their act together. If you have never been to Belize you could spend some time walking around the port area, but there is not much to do/see.

Next you take off on an overcrowded (about 20 people each time) small boat for a ~45 minute boat ride. While it is somewhat senic, it is a little rough and boring after a while. Then you arrive at Caye Caulker where they waste another 20-30 minutes getting three pieces of fish to feed the stingrays later in the day.

Finally after at least 2.5 hours of waiting around (not including the tender time to shore) and riding in a boat you finally arrive at the reef. They now tell you that due to unforseen delays they have to shorten up the snorkeling to get you back on time. Here you play follow the leader for about 30 minutes before getting back on the boat. The snorkeling is fair to good depending on the day, but Roatan (Maya Kay or Tabyana Beach), Grand Cayman (Moby Dick), and St. Lucia (I know different area) are all better if you pick the right excurision. In Roatan and St. Lucia you can do it right from beach at your leisure and the quality is hands down better. Moby Dick in Grand Cayman is also a boat, but much better run. After another short boat ride you arrive at "shark ray alley". This is nice, but again you only spend about 20 minutes in the water and they do not give you food to feed the rays. The rays here are not nearly as tame as Grand Cayman and the water is deeper.

After spending no more than an hour in the water they ferry you back to Caye Caulker for lunch. The island is a neat place to see and the lunch is pretty good. Again due to the unforseen delays earlier you only have about an hour or less to eat lunch and roam around. Then it's back on the boat for anther 45 minute ride back to the pier or longer if you have motor troubles and have to switch the prop like happened to us one time.

They get you back in plenty of time to catch the last tender. Then you wait in another line to get onboard the tender for another 15-20 minute ride back to the ship. By this time it is 5:00 and the ship is pulling anchor.

Bottom line is you spend about 8-9 hours waiting in lines, riding tenders and little boats to snorkel for less than an hour. I realize Belize is a tough port with not many good options, but I cannot reccomend this tour to anyone. I have never booked an excurision through the ship, but in Belize I would see if you could find a ship snorkeling excursion. From what I have read and heard, most ship snorkeling excursions leave directly from the boat thus avoiding the tender. The price of the ship excursion is about the same or maybe even less. Yes there will be more people on the excursion, but you will be on a bigger boat also.

I know I am in the minority here, but I just wanted first timers to realize what they are getting into. Even if everything went as advertised/planned you are still waiting in lines and traveling in small boats to snorkel for a very short time.

Geez ... even though they've been incredibly helpful, sometimes I think I gotta quit reading these boards.

Okay, we are booked on a Coral Breeze trip to Caye Cauker next week. Its not the snorkeling excursion, just the trip to the island. I was on the verge of cancelling after reading this thread and some other info, but then pulled up some YouTube videos and now kinda want to go. If we don't, we'll probably just spend the day on the ship, and we don't really want to do that either.

So, a few questions:

• Is there a beach that we can go to and just hang out for a while? Its hard to tell if there are decent public beaches, or if they all belong to hotels, etc.
  • Can anyone recommend some places where we can hang out on the water and have a couple of beers, and some good places to eat?

In Belize there are no real public beaches to go & hang out that we have seen. Belize is not like the other stops in the Caribbean as to beach availability.

Your first choice of going to Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze I thought was a good one as it is a truely unusual place to visit. Go for it & enjoy the boat ride over & back. Go & get some sun !!

Don't let the gloom & doomers here talk you out if it !

Enjoy Caye Caukler !

Bill in FL

So, a few questions:

We did this trip via Coral Breeze and they then sub it out to Hammerhead Sports. We did it for piece of mind on the return trip. However, if going again, we would use a water taxi, if you are just visiting, no snorkel. Here is why...

They tell you to get there as early as possible, and no later then 10:00AM Belize time. We got there around 9:40AM Belize time. Then you wait and wait, and then you wait some more, for all the other tenders and people to arrive. By the time we left, it was 11:00AM Belize time. We saw at least two other water taxi's leave during this wait period.

Then you finally get going. The boat gets going fast for about 10 minutes, then starts slowing down to eventually stop for about 10 minutes while they go over the rules for snorkeling. Then you get going again. Trip over = 1 Hour.

You have 3 hours on the island, which is more than enough time to walk the beach side up ( recommend this first, not front street, you'll see differnt things ) up to the split, stop at lazy lizzard for a couple of beers. Then walk down front street back to the Tropical Paradise hotel for lunch. There is not much to see on the other two streets (middle and back street). Time to walk without stops from Tropical Hotel to split = about 20 minutes. Key here is to walk the beach side first, for there is only so much to see on front street and one walk is enough for that.

Front street is where you will also be spending more time to stop and look at some of the small shops. However, walking the beach side first will give you more access to some watering holes you will have missed by just walking front street alone and some interesting sights too.

The return trip takes the same amount of time as a water taxi. And the water taxi is only half the cost ($20 round trip per person).

So, get to Belize as soon as possible, and take the first water taxi of the two companies that are leaving first (one way ticket). You should have ample time to get a returning taxi back to Belize to get your ship, for about 2-3 hours is max for a walking tour + Lunch.

Plus, the water taxi would have gotten us there an hour earlier, where instead, we waited, and waited, and waited to leave untill 11:00AM Bleize time.

As for people that like to party late on the ship and get up late. I would not recommend this trip, for you want to be off Caye Cauker soon after lunch time or early afternoon heading back to Belize.

We're about to do this tour in 4 weeks. I can't fathom how someone can expect EVERY person on the excursion to be able to get the same tender and arrive at the same time. That lack of common sense just astounds me. Of course there is going to be a wait while the others get tendered to the island. It sounds like there are only 2 tender boats so the 3rd is going to be a bit of a wait from the 2nd.

The rest of the excursion seems to be pretty standard for the island but to complain about the tender process as part of your reason for being unhappy with this tour seems down right stupid as you'd encounter that no matter what you're doing.

WOW... All I can say is I am glad I am not cruising on the Carnival Liberty on 02/25:D. I could not imagine what it must be like to live in your world. I am just trying to share my view of the excurision. For some reason you take it as a personal attack and call me stupid and lacking common sense:confused:. Such a strong opinion from someone who it appears has never taken this excursion. You my friend are a RODBOX:eek:. You clearly are not interested in what anyone has to say unless it is a glowing review. Enjoy the wait and the 1 hour of snorkeling my friend.

So, a few questions:

There is nothing really to do if you do not book an excursion in Belize. I suggest you stick with your plan or try to book a ship excursion that leaves from the ship. If this is your first time in belize, you will have a good time. Just go in with expectations you may have to wait a little and go with the flow and you will have fun. My comments mostly apply to the snorkeling trip. My main point is that it is a lot of work for 1 hour of snorkeling. If snorkeling is the only reason you are taking the excursion you will be dissapointed.

After reading some favorable reviews about the Coral Breeze, I almost booked the excursion. Quite a few reports were from repeat customers, so I couldn't go wrong... right?

Fortunately for me, I read Pitz0005's review before paying a deposit. :o Now I realize I would have spent a day waiting in lines for an hour of bobbing on the surface, rather than spending my day diving into the environment I envisioned. If I was from up North somewhere and had no skin-diving experience, this trip may not have bothered me. Wearing their life-vest while "diving" might have been the safety blanket I needed... BUT, I'm from the Florida Keys. This trip would have been a day in hell... and one I had to pay good $$ for! :cool:

Thanks for pointing out the tender issue too. Some people may think it's a stupid point, but it gave me the realization I could just walk over to the water taxis and take the next one to Caye Caulker for half the price. (I'm not scared... locals rely on that transportation every day! ;)) There are independent tours operators on this island that don't make you wear a life-vest and advertise 3 hour snorkel times!

Thanks again Pitz! Your "stupid" points were not lost on me. They may have even saved a vacation day I would have otherwise wasted! :D

• 10 months later...

Questions about getting to Caye Caulker.

1) I don't wish to book any type of tour as I want to just wander the island, lie on the beach, have some lunch, shop for souvenirs etc. Is the water taxi then the best way to get out there?

2) How far is the water taxi stop from where the tender docks (I'm on Carnival Dream if that's at all relevant).

3) I assume Caye Caulker is safe? I feel like Belize City might not be THAT safe for two single young women traveling alone? I did have cave tubing booked but with an activity booked the day before in Cozumel and one booked the day after in Mahogany Bay, I kind of want to take it easy.

Questions about getting to Caye Caulker.

1) I don't wish to book any type of tour as I want to just wander the island, lie on the beach, have some lunch, shop for souvenirs etc. Is the water taxi then the best way to get out there?

A. I'd say that your least expensive way to get to Caye Caulker is the water taxi, if there is room for you on the returning taxi to Belize City.

The surest way would be with Coral Breeze Tours with your return trip to the Tourist Village assured, but you might spend less time on Caye Caulker.

Do a search for Belize water taxi & remember the time difference, one hour behind EST & two hours behind DST.

2) How far is the water taxi stop from where the tender docks (I'm on Carnival Dream if that's at all relevant).

B. The water taxi is less than a 5 minute walk including time to fend off the local vendors.

Go out of the Tourist Village to the sidewalk, turn left on this sidewalk & walk towards downtown Belize City. The water taxi will be on your left, in what looks like a very small strip shopping center & is well marked. With luck, someone will ask if you need a guide as you leave the TV & they will show you the way for a couple of bucks. Keep any valuables safe, unseen & secure.

3) I assume Caye Caulker is safe? I feel like Belize City might not be THAT safe for two single young women traveling alone? I did have cave tubing booked but with an activity booked the day before in Cozumel and one booked the day after in Mahogany Bay, I kind of want to take it easy.

C. IMHO, Caye Caulker is a very safe place for young women to travel alone. As always, just be aware of what & who are around you at all times.

We are on the Mariner leaving Galveston on April 7 , and have the tour booked with them. We could not get it last March because they were doing Carnival only. Your highlighted section says Feb 16 ?

We'll be there April 12 and the ship is in port from 8-5, so I'm curious as to why they can't meet the schedule. :confused:

Archived