2 NCL Dawn questions

Boardwalk

The only alcoholic beverage you're permitted to bring on board is wine. Liquor and beer isn't permitted. You'll be charged a corkage fee of $15 for each 750 ml bottle of wine, $30 for each 1500ml bottle. Boxed wine isn't permitted.

I'm not sure if all cabin types have the same hairdryer set up, but my recollection is that the hairdryer is not in the bathroom at all...it's on a dressing table in the cabin bedroom and is fixed in place but has a fairly long cord.

OK thanks - and and what happens if someone "forgets" to mention they have wine in their bag (am not planning to do this but am sure it happens and am just curious :)

If you have the wine in a carry on bag they will most likely notice when the bag is xrayed and direct you to a nearby table where you'll be assessed the corkage fee (it's charged to your on board account). If they don't happen to notice it, it's your good fortune.

If the wine is in your checked baggage and they see the bottles on the xray, then your luggage will not be delivered to your cabin and you will have to go to the designated "naughty room", open your luggage for the security officer present, and then sign for the corkage fee for any bottles discovered. This is a pain in the neck, so it's a lot easier to just carry the wine on and pay the fee up front.

What is policy/charge for bringing liquor on board?

Are hairdryers provided and are they fixed to wall of bathroom or portable?

Thanks!

There is a corkage fee for wine to be paid before boarding in Miami. All other hard liquor and beer is confiscated and returned at the end of the voyage.

There are hairdryers in the cabin by the desk and they're actually quite good and powerful. I used ours to dry a wet mark I did on my shirt and it dried it super fast. It does have a pretty lengthy cord and there's a mirror right by it so you have plenty of space to use it. :)

After going through security twice in November at Port of Miami, I can tell you, those agents LOVE to catch you with something. It's as if they get a commission on how many people they can catch who are trying to bring on alcohol. Or wine without declaring it.

The woman in front of me had 2 bottles of wine in her bags, the security agents yell something like ..... liquor to declare, then someone comes over and checks the bags and either takes the bottles, if wine, you are led to the declaring place and pay $15 per bottle, no maximum number of bottles. If its another liquor, they will take it away, tag it and you get it the end of the cruise.

If you have a water bottle with partial liquid missing, they ask you to drink it or throw it away! I saw that as well. The woman threw it away!

I haven't seen any security as eager to "catch" someone, as POM!

Well, I am actually sailing out of Boston, but the non-declaring is not worth the trouble for sure! I do have one more question , does anyone know how much the cruise line charges for a bottle of wine to be purchased for the room (something low-end like a Beringer white zinfandel?) If I know that then I could decide whether it's worth it to bring my own. Thanks!

Dont know what brand they use for white zin but for the house red they use LaTerre and charge about $23 for the bottle. I buy the same red by the case her at home and pay $60 for a case of 12, yes $5 per bottle. I'm bringing 2 of my own from home and paying the $30 corkage, I save $16 on two bottles.

Well, I am actually sailing out of Boston, but the non-declaring is not worth the trouble for sure! I do have one more question , does anyone know how much the cruise line charges for a bottle of wine to be purchased for the room (something low-end like a Beringer white zinfandel?) If I know that then I could decide whether it's worth it to bring my own. Thanks!

Beringer is $24 per bottle.

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_WineList_2.pdf

Boardwalk,

On top of the wine fee is an added gratuity, which adds a little more to the cost. If you live in the Boston area and carry on your own wine, you will not only save a few dollars (they add up fast on a cruise), but you will ensure that you have the wine you like. I enjoy a glass (or 2) on the balcony and on embarkation, we like to have bubbly on the balcony...so much more enjoyable when you are not paying an inflated mark-up.

Last summer, I brought my own wine aboard, paid the corkage fee and it was really worth it. The waiter will serve it for you tableside with no questions asked as long as the sticker they place on the bottom when you pay corkage fees are there. You can take any remainder back to your cabin or they will store it for your next meal. We never had any remainder!

Bon Voyage!!!!

Donna

Archived