Currency in Papeete

zebra

The Pacific French Franc (CFP) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFP_franc is identified in western banks by the designation XPF http://exchangerate360.com/XPF-USD-conversion.htm

We recently did a cruise in the South pacific that went to a number of French islands. We therefore got some XPF before sailing and found it very useful. For example, we went to a very nice brewery restaurant in Papeete, which was full of locals. They were very busy - and XPF was the currency required.

Barry

Seeing you are from AU, I have a question about getting some CFP. Were you able to just walk into a bank and get it, or did they have to order it in from a main branch? I'll be staying with family in Darwin, and their bank doesn't carry it, so it leaves me in a pinch..

Thanks.

Seeing you are from AU, I have a question about getting some CFP. Were you able to just walk into a bank and get it, or did they have to order it in from a main branch? I'll be staying with family in Darwin, and their bank doesn't carry it, so it leaves me in a pinch..

Thanks.

It is not a common currency for small local branches of Banks to hold on hand - but they will get it in for you. We used the large Commonwealth Bank to get ours. You can also order it online - and it will be sent to the local Bank of your choice. See here http://www.commbank.com.au/expressfx/

Depending on your itinerary and how much XPF you want to get, it may be better for you to wait to get it in the South Pacific -- what places are you going to??

Barry

Thanks for your quick response. We'll be going to New Caledonia, Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea. Didn't want the possible hassle of running around our trying to change money (at a reasonable rate) during our limited port time.

Funny... my family member contacted the Commonwealth Bank (CB) and was told they didn't carry it, nor would they order it in????

Do you think I will be able to just walk into a CB branch in Sydney and buy some? Or should I order it in advance.

Thanks again :)

Do you think I will be able to just walk into a CB branch in Sydney and buy some? Or should I order it in advance.

YES -- I am fairly certain that the Head Office of the Commonwealth Bank in Martin Place, Sydney will stock XPF --Map location here

Bit strange that the Darwin branch has said that they will not get any XPF in - we regularly order all kinds of weird currency from our small local Commonwealth Bank.

Martin Place is just a short walk for Circular Quay, where the overseas ships dock.

Barry

YES -- I am fairly certain that the Head Office of the Commonwealth Bank in Martin Place, Sydney will stock XPF --Map location here

Bit strange that the Darwin branch has said that they will not get any XPF in - we regularly order all kinds of weird currency from our small local Commonwealth Bank.

Martin Place is just a short walk for Circular Quay, where the overseas ships dock.

Barry

Yeah..don't know what happened there...Will look for the main branch when we are in Sydney. Thanks.

If your ship stops in Noumea in New Caledonia there is an ATM just across from the dock which we used to get some local currency. If you look across the street to your right there is a small market with an ATM on the wall outside of the market.

Thanks! This will be a great back-up plan!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived