Looking for ideas for a "special" treat for my son

HeartNP

Hi All!

I recently booked a cruise on the Carnival Miracle (out of NYC) for April. It's just going to be myself and my almost-9-year old son. My husband and two teenage sons are staying home! I am really excited about this trip, and the time to spend with just HIM! It's been a stressful few months in my house, as my 16 year old son is making me crazy! Looking forward to the serenity of this trip!

So, I would love to do something special for my son (yes, the cruise itself is very special!), for when we board. Maybe something special to bring on board, etc? I looked at the Carnival site and none of the things you can order really seemed that great. Maybe the "bon voyage" decorations, but even that seems "blah".

Maybe I could make up a little bag for him for the week, with different things in it? (disposable camera, books, etc). Any ideas??

Thank you!

Karen

Personally I don't think a 9 year old would care about Bon Voyage decorations and I agree that the cruise itself is a nice gift. How about a shore excursion involving something he would enjoy doing? Or money for the arcade might be good for him.

This is a great question. I've been trying to think of something special to do for my two girls (5 and 8) for their first cruise.

I like the money for the arcade idea, I am looking forward to giving my daughter a lesson in the finer points of air hockey! (Not that I am good, but she's 8) :-) What about letting him make something to decorate your door with? Star Wars themed or whatever he likes?

You could wrap up a certificate (that you make) for the Dolphin Swim if that's one of your options.

Maybe I could make up a little bag for him for the week, with different things in it? (disposable camera, books, etc). Any ideas??

My son's next cruise is to Alaska - so we will have to fly there. (His previous cruises were out of our home port @1 hour drive.)

I've been dropping things in a bag for him - magazines, new crayons, etc.

I don't have experiences with 9 year olds, but camera & books sounds nice. Where are you going - maybe a travel book for that location... (My son is loving the bears & whales in our Alaska book...)

I got my 8 YO a Kodak Sport camera for his birthday... easy to work and waterproof, for like $80. Takes decent pictures.

Are you flying or driving a decent distance? Things to do in the car/on the plane are big hits with my kids. Does he have an iPod...maybe an itunes card for some new tunes or a movie to watch on the "road". a litte journal (I get the small cheapy photo albums and put index cards in the pages...then the kids can write what they want and we can slip in postcards we pick up and/or fave pics from the day). Maybe a few little action figures (I limit the actual TOYS my kids take to 1 quart ziploc...not a whole lot of time to play with them, except it's nice to have on the rare occasions we have downtime in the cabin). New sunglasses. New fun flip flops. A cool new backpack/carry on maybe.

Hope that helps!

My kids love to have their own money. I'd give him a $20 and tell him he could use it however he wants. Whether it's arcade games or trinkets at the port. It also keeps the kids from asking if they could have this or that. I just reply do you have any money to buy it?

Arcade credits would be great. Maybe a soda card, or the kind where they can get smoothies, etc. Of course money for souvenirs is always fun.

Maybe let him choose any excursion (within your set limits) he wants to do in one of the ports.

I ordered the Memory Box from Bon Voyage on our upcoming CCL cruise for my 8 yr old son. Would be pretty easy to make your own, too. That way he can keep momentos of whatever he thinks is important in it. I love the idea of a digital camera-- my son LOVES to take pictures and actually got his own camera for Christmas, along with an extra memory card. It's always fun to look through the pictures and see what was important to them. I saw another post where you could have special T-Shirts made, too. All great ideas :).

I'm not sure what you are looking to spend, but my DH got himself a fantastic waterproof video recorder about the size of a cell phone. It's very durable, and shoots amazing underwater videos and takes still shots as well. I saw one for around 100 today on sale. My 7 year old loved loved loved using it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B004FLL5B8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1327880798&sr=8-5

Ours was 107 shipping included so it may be cheaper if you look around. We have some amazing memories from it!!!

• A lanyard/baseball hat/duffle bag (or back pack) from his favorite sports team
  • If he has an ipod, itunes money to update his games/songs before you leave
  • An underwater disposable camera
  • Sunglasses
  • Arcade $$
  • Soda card if he is a soda drinker
  • My son has purchased a ships model from every cruise we have been on and displays them in his room with his S&S card
  • Puzzle books
  • $$ for ports

Archived