Securing the ship and removing the fuel?

yankeechick78

I watched a news piece from CNN, according to the person being interviewed they were going to remove the fuel (which could take weeks) than secure the ship. (unless I heard wrong). This doesn't make sense to me. Once the start to remove fuel, which will be a difficult task itself, they could destabilize the ship.

Has anyone read or heard what the plan is?

From what I have read it appears they will not begin to remove the fuel until the search with divers is over due to the risk of the ship shifting its position. The ship sits near the edge of a deeper dropoff where a major shift in position could cause it to slip into deeper water.

The Italian authorities want the fuel loads removed ASAP for fear of environmental problems. After the fuel removal the Italian authorities want the ship out of there ASAP ;).

Removing or righting a ship that is 114000 tons is a huge undertaking:eek: . Weeks to remove fuel & undoubtedly weeks to upright or break the ship up for scrap:rolleyes: . The ultimate decision will be made by insurance companies & the Italian authorities;)

The Italian authorities want the fuel loads removed ASAP for fear of environmental problems. After the fuel removal the Italian authorities want the ship out of there ASAP ;).

Removing or righting a ship that is 114000 tons is a huge undertaking:eek: . Weeks to remove fuel & undoubtedly weeks to upright or break the ship up for scrap:rolleyes: . The ultimate decision will be made by insurance companies & the Italian authorities;)

I am sure eveery one involved wanrts the matter resolved but it will take time......months.........

Titan, the salvage firm that is going to remove the fuel has stated it will take 2 to 4 weeks. Thereis 2300 tons of heavy 6 , marine diesel and various smaller amounts of lub oil, hydualics and others.

Only a very few salvage firms have the skill and eqiupment to float and/or remove the wreck. They are eachputting together their own plans to refloat the hull. It is reported that they are now also putting together plans to cut the wreck up in sections that will likely be barged to a scrap yard.

The various interested parties, goverment local and national. Italian coast guard, underwriters, surveyors and Costa will review the plans and pick which one to use.

As to securing the wreck...not a easy thing, by pumping water into the hull she will lay harder on the bottom and less likely to slip. The salvage crews could also run chain and cables to anchors ashore and hold her that way.....I am sure their are other ways as well. These salvage firms are amazing..they are all highly skilled.

Again..we are talking months to float the wreck and more months to cut it up......

AKK

A few days ago there was a news report that said they were going to consider using Steel ropes/cables fixed to the ship and anchored to the rocky headland in order to stop the ship sliding down to the bottom of the sea and to make it more secure for the divers etc.

Archived