Juneau?

stlrod

(Then again I hate to even think about spending $3,000 +/- to take 15 people whale watching.)

I am sure they could negotiate a much better rate than $200/person for whale watching, possibly even chartering a boat or two. Heck, for about $2,000 they could charter the 12-passenger and one 6-passenger boat with Harv & Marvs (and might even negotiate it further down). But again, would all 15 even be interested?

. What I'm trying to remember is the name of the dive fish-n-chip place I used to eat at downtown. They breaded fresh halibut! Yum!

are you thinking the twisted fish or the Sandbar? Twisted Fish is downtown near Taku Smokeries Sandbar is out by brotherhood bridge....

I personally would NOT do the tram... horribly expensive to ride to the top lousy food at the top and a trip back down....there are far better things to do in Juneau... the Ak State Museum and the Juneau Douglas Museunm are MUSTS!! Eagle watching .... It is a city so rich in History that you won't begin to touch it... If you happen to be in town on a Friday make sure you go to the State Office Building at noon for the pipe organ concert (free) visit the Fishermans Memorial on the waterfront(near the cruise ship docks) sit on a bench in Marine Park and watch the fishing boats come in and out of port....this is just downtown...... if you have a car, you can drive out the road to the Shrine, Auke Bay, the Glacier, Eagle Beach and Auke Rec....The fish hatchery is ok... but if you have seen one... Glacier Gardens are amazing ....

For what its worth, last year we planned a morning of hiking at Mendenhall Glacier, lunch at Tracy's King Crab Shack and then an afternoon of hiking on top of Mt. Roberts followed by a cocktail at one of Juneau's atmospheric taverns. Unfortunately it poured, not just drizzle, but a torential downpour. We went out to Mendenhall Glacier, but it was raining so hard and the trails were mud rivers, we ended up at the a very crowded visitor center. We went back to town, had a great, but slightly wet lunch, at Tracy's. We then went up the Mt. Roberts tramway, it was raining so hard, we ended up having cocktails at the bar. At least this bar had a great view of the harbor! We went back to town, had another cocktail, then back to the ship. The moral of this tale is that in Alaska, you never have any idea how the weather will be. Enjoy your trip, and expect the unexpected.

The Museums sound very interesting, can you give me a short version on them?

Are they interactive or looking at glass cases, how large are they 1-2hr or all day?

http://www.museums.state.ak.us/asm/asmhome.html http://www.juneau.org/parkrec/museum/index.php

Thanks for the rental car information.. This is our 7th cruise to Alaska, and I thought it would be fun to rent a car and see a bit more than we have seen on prior visits. I don't know where AJ pier is, we will be on Holland and they always seem to be downtown. Once we were on Princess and they were on the other end of town. Happy Travels everyone!! :D

Archived