Cunard Dark Site

Whitemarsh

I visited the Cunard website about 30 minutes ago and saw the the below. It was on the UK, U.S.A & Australian websites. I haven't seen it before and it's gone now.

i-Hm5zbPv-L.png

Looks like they're ensuring their response to any untoward event is as seamless as possible.

http://bloggingmebloggingyou.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/crisis-communications-dark-sites-101/

That's an interesting take on "Lorem Ipsum". Never seen it done quite like that before! :D

J

Could make a nice sandwich between breakfasts! it is different but maybe by someone who is obsessed with food!:D

all@c

Corned beef cow jerky sirloin t-bone...huh? What is that? Never heard of a dark site test; and what's with the food list?

It's a test - and they have to put some text in there. - and there aren't enough flavours of ice cream to fill that section!:)

Barry

Corned beef cow jerky sirloin t-bone...huh? What is that? Never heard of a dark site test; and what's with the food list?

There's a large block of text known as "Lorem Ipsum" that you can download from the web if you Google it. It's a sort of bastardised Latin (at least it looks like Latin but in reality it's just gibberish). Years ago it was used by printers and typesetters for mocking up layouts for newspapers and books. By using the lorem ipsum text they could layout their type to fit around pictures and graphics and diagrams and so on before they actually had the genuine,finished and edited text.

In the digital age lorem ipsum has found a new role in allowing people to mock up web pages before they even know what text they want to use. A "dark site" is simply one that is laid out ready for any eventuality, but that is not yet visible to the public (it's kept in the background by the simple trick of not hyper-linking to it from the main site. The advantage of doing this is that if something happens that you need to communicate urgently to your customer base, all you have to do is to replace the lorem ipsum text with the real message, add a few headings, and then activate the hyperlink.

Looks like someone has been working on that Cunard dark site and inadvertently activated a link to it from the main page.

J

Goodness Whiteside, you had me worried there with your heading. I thought you had been exploring sites that could end up getting you in trouble. :p

Nice catch! Now we have emergency contact numbers too, assuming they are correct.

Archived