Questions on New England Cruises out of Boston

yancycruiser

if you head to Mahone Bay, consider time in Lunenburg as well.. a UNESCO site and lovely place for lunch.. We did this as a day trip tour bec. we didn't want to mess with rental and maps and had wonderful 8-hr day with plenty of time in each village. Esp. good option if you've been to Halifax before IMHO.

Spot on. Can't believe I forgot this! We ate lunch there as well, and did most of our shopping there as well as there were many local shops with crafts and other specialties.

• 1 month later...
Mom and I did this itinerary in Sept. 2010 and loved it so much we are booked on Jewel to do it again this Sept. In 2010 we were on Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. Since Boston is my home port this time traveling to the port will be really easy!

I agree that Halifax was wonderful. Peggy's Cove is a must-see.

Weather-wise we were extremely lucky last time. Hurricane Earl was heading to NJ-NY and up the coast right when we were embarking. Our ship left port in Bayonne 30 minutes early. The captain kept us well-informed of the itinerary plans from the time we left NJ and we had full confidence in him. We made for Portland, ME at top speed to shelter in the harbor while the storm passed us by. Instead of a first day at sea we were in Portland by morning. That gave us 2 days in Portland and the passengers were thrilled. The seas were not bad at all. No bad weather the entire cruise for us (not so for the poor folks on land). The hurricane hit Nova Scotia before we got there. They had already restored the electricity and the downed trees were all removed from the roads before we got there. The people in Nova Scotia are very warm and friendly -- a wonderful first-time visit for us. The folks in Saint Johns were also warm and friendly.

We loved this cruise and you will too, I hope!

We (My husband Joe & I) are sailing on Sept 23, 2012. is that the same date you are going? We will be driving to Boston from Albany, NY. I am just starting the research to decide if we should park at the port, look for a park & cruise lot nearby or a stay & cruise hotel. Since you are from the Boston area - I would appreciate any suggestion - what to look for & what to avoid.

Thankx

Bonnie

Spot on. Can't believe I forgot this! We ate lunch there as well, and did most of our shopping there as well as there were many local shops with crafts and other specialties.

We're doing Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg. Do you remember where you had lunch?

We'll be on the Oct 14 Jewel of the Seas.

We (My husband Joe & I) are sailing on Sept 23, 2012. is that the same date you are going? We will be driving to Boston from Albany, NY. I am just starting the research to decide if we should park at the port, look for a park & cruise lot nearby or a stay & cruise hotel. Since you are from the Boston area - I would appreciate any suggestion - what to look for & what to avoid.

Thankx

Bonnie

Yes, we're on the same sailing! As I replied on our roll call, I'd start with the Port web site but also do a google search. As a local I am not familiar with park and cruise hotels--sorry. :(

In Lunenburg, we ate at the Grand Banker Seafood Bar and Grill and it was really good. Menus looked great at all the places, though. Keep in mind, some of the shops might already be closed for the season when you are there.

Don't, sorry. It was 5-6 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

Rental car made our lives SO easy.

Don't, sorry. It was 5-6 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

Rental car made our lives SO easy.

We didn't rent a car. We booked a private tour with Van Tours of Nova Scotia. His name is Dave. I couldn't find any reviews on this company so hopefully all will be well.

We didn't rent a car. We booked a private tour with Van Tours of Nova Scotia. His name is Dave. I couldn't find any reviews on this company so hopefully all will be well.

Hope so!

We had done a week in Nova Scotia a few years prior -- drove up from Boston, took the "Cat" (RIP) across, and did a counterclockwise lap around the island. One of the best vacations ever. And made it very easy for us to chose to rent a car from the cruise, since we knew what we wanted to see again.

Roads are very good, and maps are very helpful if you decide to do it on your own!

• 1 year later...
Your cruise is over Columbus Day weekend so that could be why it is more expensive. Bar Harbor is your only tender port. And just an FYI, you are going to Portland, Maine, not Portsmouth, NH.:)

Do you know how far a walk it is from the Tender Dock to West st Cafe?

Archived