Is it worth getting off the ship for this Port?

cruzlovr75

I just want your honest opinion please. Hubby and I are going to be seeing 3 beaches and Ports before this one being our last Port of call. We are debating even getting off the ship for this Port or not. We aren't really shoppers, we love beaches. I was looking at different pictures of beaches in Costa Maya and how come different areas have different colour water? Would you even reccomend getting off the ship in Costa Maya? Thanks.

The different colors of the water probably have something to do with depth. All the waters around Costa Maya have seagrass growing in it, nothing that they can do about that- it probably got worse after the hurricaine a few years ago. There are ruins that you can go see at this stop and lots of beach clubs with great prices on food, drink, and massages. We went to Maya Chan a couple times and loved it- it is an AI. Some people prefer to go to other beach restaurants- some AIs, some pay as you go- all good values- the food and drink we had in Costa Maya was the best we had for our whole trip. We liked Maya Chan for the service, the nice people, food and drink, of course, and because there you had no vendors pestering you. Some ports are worse for this than others, but I hate to be relaxing and have people who don't take "no" for an answer bothering me- Roatan was the worse place for us that trip- even when we were at the Mayan Princess resort beach. Anyway, if you want a couple drinks that are better quality and a lot cheaper than on the ship, get off for a while and walk down the beach- just ask for a lounger at a restaurant and they will take care of you- if you want deluxe treatment contact Maya Chan and reserve a spot- they pick you up at the port exit and bring you back when it is time to go (or earlier if you want to shop in town or at the port). Have a great time.;)

I just want your honest opinion please. Hubby and I are going to be seeing 3 beaches and Ports before this one being our last Port of call. We are debating even getting off the ship for this Port or not. We aren't really shoppers, we love beaches. I was looking at different pictures of beaches in Costa Maya and how come different areas have different colour water? Would you even reccomend getting off the ship in Costa Maya? Thanks.

I would certainly recommend getting off the ship. If you are feeling adventurous take a taxi to town for a couple of bucks and stroll the beach bars until you find one that suits you and settle into a nice (free) chair as long as you buy a few drinks.

If you don't want to go to town at least check out the stores and enjoy the big pool (free) at the tourist village.

We actually rented a golf cart last time and drove to town with that. Had an amazing time. Stopped at a few spots along the way and ventured a little out of town too.

This time we are going to Maya Chan for the day only because I just want a quiet day of rest.

Water color can be affected by depth, color of sand on the bottom and angle of the sun or if there is no sun.

Even if you don't want to have a big plan for this day, please get off the ship!

Thanks for asking cruzlovr75. We're in the same roll call (woo hoo!) and I was wondering the same thing about this port. Good info. Thanks!

If you're interested in seeing a Mayan Ruin you can schedule a tour through Native Choice. There are a variety of tours and activities-- for example after touring the ruin you can add on a stop at a lagoon where you can enjoy lunch and a relaxing time on the water. Check out their website for all their different tour details. They have a great reputation on CC and their offices are located just a short walk from the pier. Their prices are significantly lower then what the ship will charge you.

Have fun!

We actually rented a golf cart last time and drove to town with that. Had an amazing time. Stopped at a few spots along the way and ventured a little out of town too.

Was this pre-arranged? Or do they have them there as you get off the ship? How much was it?

There is not much going on in Costa Maya unless you plan on shopping or booking an excursion to see the ruins. But since you say beaches are your thing, then i recommend venturing into town by taxi. The town is small and consist of just a strip along the beach and a few back streets. My husband and I went alone and felt safe the whole time. On the strip, you can wander along till you find a spot that looks good to you. The chairs belong to their respective hotels across the street. They are free to use as long as you purchase your drinks from them- which are all very inexpensive! You can get a 30 minute massage for $10 by a local right on the beach. Very relaxing :)

A few things to consider:

Most of the locals in town speak very little english, if any. Be prepared to use your imagination in communicating.

My husband and I are both foodies and I can honestly say we had some of the best mexican food EVER in town. We made it a point to try to find the most authentic, no-frills restaurant where the locals were eating. It was a hit. Our waiter (which I think was also the owner) gave us free tequila with the beers we ordered, free appetizers, and a free after lunch drink. The food was amazing! The bill came in Pesos and US and the entire lunch for two of us came to about $10 US!! Needless to say- we left a huge tip. The experience and amount of food far exceeded our expectations.

Was this pre-arranged? Or do they have them there as you get off the ship? How much was it?

We rented a golf cart last week. They are in the parking lot as you exit the tourist village. They rent all sorts of vehicles there. Just walk up. The asking price is $45 for 2 hours. Tell them you will pay $30, they will eventually accept.

Lots of fun whizzing around the town/beach and stopping when and where you want. The breeze from the open cart will keep you cool. Has a roof for shade. Lots of fun.

We rented a golf cart last week. They are in the parking lot as you exit the tourist village. They rent all sorts of vehicles there. Just walk up. The asking price is $45 for 2 hours. Tell them you will pay $30, they will eventually accept.

Lots of fun whizzing around the town/beach and stopping when and where you want. The breeze from the open cart will keep you cool. Has a roof for shade. Lots of fun.

Thanks!

We were rerouted to Costa Maya too...and are going to the Tropicante restaurant.

If you email the owner (Steve from Texas lol), you can reserve (free) loungers and umbrellas. You are served right there on the beach, and can hang out as long as you like.

The food is reasonable, the alcohol is cheap, and I've heard mostly rave reviews with few negative comments.

They also have $25/hour massages, snorkeling, fishing, jetskis, etc. all available from right there.

Sounds like a fun, laid back day to me...that's where we'll be next Wednesday!

Headed there in February -do you mind sharing the location of this restaurant, sounds great.

Thanks!

Sounds like it's Fernando's 100% Agave. Check out the other posts in the Costa Maya port section for all the great reviews. We plan on stopping here during our cruise in March. You'll find videos on YouTube, too.

The beach is ok. It's not the prettiest water you will ever see but it is still blue and beautiful. For only a few dollars per person you can take a bus to the beach area I think it's called Mahuhal. In the afternoon many people really party at the port by the pool because they have a dj playing. The port was a blast.

Headed there in February -do you mind sharing the location of this restaurant, sounds great.

Thanks!

The Malecon (walkway along the beach in town) is aprox 4 blocks or so long. Don't remember the name of the street running from the Malecon back into town but it is the one with the only ATM machine in the town. Just ask any local where it is. Take this street one block back from the Malecon then turn right and 100% Agave will be on your right. Look for the two six foot liquor bottles at the front entrance.

We were there last Tuesday. Were greeted with two free mini margaritas made with the owners private stock of tequila. Chips and dips, appertizers, two delicious seafood meals, two free after dinner drinks and four of the best frozen margaritas we've had in a long time. Total price was $22 American!:D

• 1 month later...

Yes, you definitely should get off the boat! We visited Costa Maya on our first cruise and it was our favorite port on that trip. Its been a few years and we are very excited to go back (we also are on the dream on 4-14)

We plan on doing the same thing as last time, take a shuttle/taxi to Mahuhal and find a good spot to spend the day. The water was like a pool when we were there. Calm and BLUE! not sure if it is still that way but nevertheless, very much looking forward to this stop! You are on the boat all week, you have to take advantage of the stop and get off and enjoy seeing a new place.

The first time we were there, my family stayed on the ship and I did an early morning dune buggy tour. Then I brought my family off the ship to spend the last 2 hours at the cruise terminal for a couple of hours at the pool. When we go there next time (May 2012), I will take the family into Mahahual. It will be interesting for my kids to see the hurricaine damage and the rebuilding thats underway. I also feel better about buying a few things (drinks, meals) to support local business in Mahahual.

It can be an inexpensive day too. Hearing people who have taken a taxi to town, had a meal, a drink and an hour long massage and got back to the ship having spent less that $50!

I just returned from a cruise which included Costa Maya. It was one of the surprisingly fun places for me. I first took a ship's excursion to Chacchoben. There wasn't much outside the port, and the ride there (1 hour) was a little desolate. However, Chacchoben was my first Mayan ruin experience, so I enjoyed it. When we got back, I had a quick lunch on the ship and then walked out of the port and took a $3 cab ride to the near by (maybe 2 miles) beach/fishing village of Mahahual. It's funky and authentic, and while the water isn't much (or the beach, for that matter) it had a real feel to it that I loved. You could eat, drink, get a massage, or use the internet cafe, and I also loved the lighthouse. I felt safe by myself (I'm 60, female, and was there without my husband). I took a cab back for $2. The tourism village had a good amount of stuff to do and photograph, too - pool, bar, restaurants, native dance performances, lots of color and flora/fauna right outside the village, etc. The cabs are sitting by the Hard Rock Cafe (although not sure if it's actually a restaurant - couldn't tell), right outside the gates of the tourist village. There is also a dive/scuba shop near Mahahual, but I didn't search it out. We (Oceania's Marina) were the only ship in town and the Costa Maya area and Mahahual didn't feel crowded at all. For Mexico, quite honestly I wasn't expecting a great deal, but it turned out to be one of my favorite ports. (See my photos at http://www.pbase.com/roothy123. We also went to Santo Tomas, Belize, Grand Cayman, Key West, Cozumel, and Roatan.)

Don't stay on the ship!

Yes definitely get off the ship. Theres another post on here called "Leave The Port" that might be of interest too.

I recommend getting a taxi to the light house and walking the boardwalk "Malecon". You get to see all the different beaches, colors etc. The middle of the town is the busiest but either side you will find some gems.

We loved Blue Bay, thats the first one you come to but it was without people therefore atmosphere.

Then comes Señor Frogs, thats always our favourite. Great place, great party and a swimming pool right on the beach.

After the village middle bit you will find 40 Canons and then the famous Nohoch Kay (they were fully reserved and had no space for us).

Its all within a mile amnd a half so.... GET OFF THE SHIP!!!! No need to book anythimng just take a walk and chose a good spot.

I love this port! It's so natural and unspoiled. Spent the day recently at Tropicante and it was heaven. Ate chips and guacamole, used the free WiFi and had hour long massages for $25. Now really.....isn't that better than staying on the ship???? Go! Enjoy!

Archived