Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Don't know why they closed the thread.:confused:

Let's bring it back to life! :)

I wondered over that as well over 1/2 million views, although there were some off topic, some threads pulled and some attacking of posters they were small when compared to the 5k posts.

Sounds like a good possibility but being that my last post about the Connecticut honeymooner was removed before closing the thread seems suspect.

It has been stated before that huge threads can have an impact on system performance - closing them and strarting new ones help work around this. - not sure if that is the reason here but could be

Check this out -this is what I wrote about just before they deleted the thread and deleted my post before deleting the thread.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/07/articles/maritime-death/the-death-of-george-allen-smith-iv-five-years-later/

And you said that your post that had that link was pulled? That is a strange coincidence.

As I type this the thread is still on the Costa page, it's just locked. It could go to the CC "achive" or it could go to CC heaven. ;)

If y'all recall, somewhere when we were around the 3500 (or there abouts) post area I mentioned the possibility that CC could close the thread at 5000+ posts. It is because the larger threads slow down the system. It has nothing to do with what may have been posted last.

(I've been part of one of the largest threads to post on CC. We are currently on Part 3. Our original thread was stopped at around 106,000 and our second part around 5600.)

And you said that your post that had that link was pulled? That is a strange coincidence.

Again, I doubt that did it. The link also deals with a tragedy at sea.

I will say, if a thread goes off topic too often, CC could move it to Floataway. That will allow a little more freedom as to what is posted but I believe we'd like to keep this on the Costa page.

I've been watching the web cams at Giglio throughout this entire tragedy and 24/7 they have had boats, I think if not actual rescue/recovery teams, but also Coast Guard and Carabanieri (spelling?) Police Boats patrolling the ship.

Last night nothing. I did notice one single boat's lights a little bit off from the ship. That single boat has never gotten very close at all last night:( I think they have reached the same conclusion that we were/are afraid of..... http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

Joanie

Joanie, there has been talk of bad weather in the area. That could be why the smaller boats are gone. Even the rig that is to remove the fuel is at the dock area, if I got the translation thing right.

I had this saved to my favorites and wanted to bring it back. I think it provided a good idea of the final route of Concordia. It will be interesting to see how it may match up to results from officials.

http://gcaptain.com/gcaptains-john-konrad-narrates-the-final-maneuvers-of-the-costa-concordia-video/?37941

OK - that' reassuring! Thanks

As I type this the thread is still on the Costa page, it's just locked. It could go to the CC "achive" or it could go to CC heaven. ;)

If y'all recall, somewhere when we were around the 3500 (or there abouts) post area I mentioned the possibility that CC could close the thread at 5000+ posts. It is because the larger threads slow down the system. It has nothing to do with what may have been posted last.

(I've been part of one of the largest threads to post on CC. We are currently on Part 3. Our original thread was stopped at around 106,000 and our second part around 5600.)

In other boards using the same software, the mod would lock the thread but starts a new one bearing the same title + (part II), and seed it with a first post explaining the locking of the original thread.

I'm surprised CC operation team didn't do that courtesy. Being a fairly large board in existance for a while...

Joanie, there has been talk of bad weather in the area. That could be why the smaller boats are gone. Even the rig that is to remove the fuel is at the dock area, if I got the translation thing right.

I had this saved to my favorites and wanted to bring it back. I think it provided a good idea of the final route of Concordia. It will be interesting to see how it may match up to results from officials.

http://gcaptain.com/gcaptains-john-konrad-narrates-the-final-maneuvers-of-the-costa-concordia-video/?37941

I've been watching 2 web cams there and the one in port itself http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440922/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto.html does not seem very rough, almost serene and calm. I knew about the fuel removal being stopped, but the recovery teams were still at the Concordia until around 7 p.m. local time. And like I said, even the Coast Guard and Police have removed all but 1 ship/boat...

I realize the rescue/recovery, police and Coast Guard need a break, but it just seems so... sad to realize that there will be no more searching for survivors:(

I hope that makes sense

Joanie

Joanie, I was just at La Repubblica website. They mentioned the weather was bad on Sat and expected to get worse over the next few days. Went on to say the ship is stable (or at least it is as of their posting on the site.)

Also mentioned was 4 tanks are ready to be emptied and they are showing no sign of leaking, which I gather is where Smit prepared them for fuel recovery. A spokesman for Smit also said that the internal tanks will be harder to access and probably take longer than the 3 weeks they expect the ones they have access to now.

http://www.repubblica.it/

you'll have to do your own translating and find the article, sorry.

at_ny, yes, that is what CC has done each time they shut one of our threads down. Not sure why they didn't here.

Balconey, it was still on the main page for Costa a little while ago.

I've studied the webcam and I can't really tell as yet how rough the currents may be. Daylight will be there soon and then we'll have a better idea. In reality the weather has co-operated well during the rescue and recovery.

I think it is remarkable that there have been no serious injuries for the rescue teams. To my knowledge there has been one diver that suffered from exhaustion and one firefighter, working topside on the ship, that suffered a broken leg.

As sad as it may be that they may not be able to do any recovery work, if indeed the weather has changed, it is for the best. This tragedy doesn't need another death.

Hey de_montsoreau!!! Welcome to our "little thread on the Web" :) Yeah, 130 pages and still going:)

Got an off topic, well almost off topic question for you....What part of Germany?? I ask because hubby and I were stationed (well hubby was, I am just married to him:D) with the US Army in Herbornseelbach (North of Giesen by about 45 kilometers), Gunzberg, Sinnsheim (halfway between Heidelberg and Heilbronn) and Pirmasens (halfway between Kaiserslautern and the French border town of Bitche. And yes, ALL the kids loved to pronounce the English version without the 'e' on the end:D

Joanie

To answer the OT from the last Thread - first of all thanks for the welcome. The Concordia has been looming large in my life the last 2 weeks, for whatever exact reason I`m not sure :-) My boyfriend has been quite surprised to see me still reading on it all these days...

I live in Wiesbaden now, which is just becoming the new US Army Headquarters for Germany, being moved from Heidelberg. I have also lived in Heidelberg for a number of years and of course I know Sinsheim, Pirmasens and Gießen. I did NOT know about Bitche :D

Archived