Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Unless all that are involved with salvage operations change their time lines, CBS news reports December will be completion and removal of Concordia.

Bob you are saying that CBS says that firms won't finish the salvage until Dec 2012 ? .wow that is a long time isn't it ?

Web cam image taken Jan. 30, 2012 showing daybreak at Giglio and the wreck of Costa Concordia. One thing odd I noticed was how the morning ferry from the mainland took a wider than normal arc coming up well behind the wreck and then paralleled it before coming into port.

boat1.jpg

Web cam image taken Jan. 30, 2012 showing daybreak at Giglio and the wreck of Costa Concordia. One thing odd I noticed was how the morning ferry from the mainland took a wider than normal arc coming up well behind the wreck and then paralleled it before coming into port.

boat1.jpg

What happened to the barge's that were supposed to help pump out fuel? I would think that they would be close by, so that when the weather settled, it would not be much of an effort to have everything reconnected and pumping.

Rick

If she does slip from where she is, as reported is possible, perhaps it could be sudden & fast

- in which case would there be significant suction?

- & is the ferry trying to avoid that\any waves just in case this should happen?

just a thought

If she does slip from where she is, as reported is possible, perhaps it could be sudden & fast

- in which case would there be significant suction?

- & is the ferry trying to avoid that\any waves just in case this should happen?

just a thought

Compare these two images, one from Jan. 21st and the other posted from today. The picture from the 21st shows the normal path for the ferries coming from the mainland which you can see its more of a straight path, as opposed to the one from today which, as I mentioned before, came over in a wider arc as it approached Giglio well behind the wreck then paralleled it prior to entering port. The path for ferries coming from the mainland is the same regardless of time of day.

Image from Jan. 21st

CCJan22.jpg

Image from Jan. 30th

boat2.jpg

What happened to the barge's that were supposed to help pump out fuel? I would think that they would be close by, so that when the weather settled, it would not be much of an effort to have everything reconnected and pumping.

Rick

The barge was moved away from the ship because of the bad weather and it is in port until Smit deems it safe to resume operations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16773052

Salvage "We were ready this morning [saturday] to commence oil pumping in the course of the day," Smit spokesman Martijn Schuttevaer told a news conference.

"Unfortunately the weather had turned in our disadvantage as it deteriorated and therefore towards the end of the morning we had to demobilise our vessel, the Moloria, back from the side of the ship back into the port here."

Oil pumping is now expected to begin in the middle of next week. Bad weather is forecast until Tuesday.

Smit has withdrawn a barge that had been placed alongside the hulk of the Costa Concordia.

Even if this is temporary this could cause a big dent in earnings.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/carnival-bookings-costa-concordia-accident/616043/1

Not surprised by the article. Carnival Corp had to expect it. It was as I said in part 1, it's not so much the die-hard cruisers they have to worry about, it's the ones that have taken only 1 or 2 cruises or those that haven't but were thinking of trying it. They are not going to feel comfortable getting on a ship.

Even if this is temporary this could cause a big dent in earnings.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/01/carnival-bookings-costa-concordia-accident/616043/1

Not surprising.

Surprised they even admitted it,actually

rather than pretend the incident has had no effect on cruising enthusiasm and thus on bookings.

They could fish out of another port and land their catch there too.

From the looks of the map you'll see in the link, there is only one port.

http://www.giglioinfo.com/isola_del_giglio/giglio_isle_map.html

Campese, which is on the other side of the island, gives an impression that it could have a port but does not. They are more known for their beaches.

Check this out -this is what I wrote about just before they deleted the thread and deleted my post before deleting the thread.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/07/articles/maritime-death/the-death-of-george-allen-smith-iv-five-years-later/

Hi

As they said in the olde neighborhood: "Glad I found youse guys"

They may have deleted your post for violation of the no advertising rule since it was published by a law firm.

John

Hey John - glad you found us guys here too! Yup - that might have been what happened. A short explanation of why they closed the thread would have been nice but it was getting out of hand towards the end so it's just as well. Welcome back! ;)

Hi

As they said in the olde neighborhoos: "Glad I found youse guys"

They may have deleted your post for violation of the no advertising rule since it was published by a law firm.

John

From the looks of the map you'll see in the link, there is only one port.

http://www.giglioinfo.com/isola_del_giglio/giglio_isle_map.html

Campese, which is on the other side of the island, gives an impression that it could have a port but does not. They are more known for their beaches.

I was thinking of a port on the mainland. They each have a quota which can be landed anywhere in the EU.

Some readers may be inerested that daily time lapse videos of the Giligio Webcam since 14th can be found here

http://www.kielmonitor.de/kino.php?cam=concordia

I also noticed the unusual course of a ferry this morning, but it does seem a one off.

The crane barge was towed out of view to the left, then brough back into Gigilio port, on Saturday (I think), presubably because of the bad weather.

Check this out -this is what I wrote about just before they deleted the thread and deleted my post before deleting the thread.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/07/articles/maritime-death/the-death-of-george-allen-smith-iv-five-years-later/

Sadly, latest reports seem to suggest that the young man who died in a fall on the Fantasy may have taken his own life. Who knows, assuming these reports to be correct, whether he took some 'dutch courage' first......but I haven't seen any suggestion of either drunken or unruly behaviour related to the event. Another death occurred as a result of a fall on a cruise ship last weekend, in this case a woman. Better to let the facts emerge from those closer to the scene and/or keep posts closer to the Costa sinking topic of the thread?

Archived