Why Is Tipping A Separate Item?

tvromero

I have no issue with paying my $11.50 per day and will also tip more in cash as needed but what I don't understand is why is this a separate charge.

Why not just add $11.50 per day to the price of a cruise? Is there some accounting loophole created by making it a separate item or some other advantage?

You just opened up a can of worms with the tipping issue, as you will see on other tipping threads. My opinion is that the cruise cost looks less expensive when you book it if tips are not included. Sort of like the airlines that charge for baggage fees. they could include it in the airfare, but do not because it would not be cheapest when you look at the airfare websites.

simply put, cruising is a service vacation. there are people hired to service you.

the same happens in service restaurtants. you will notice your dinner prices do not include tips.

but one can always choose a non service vacation, and either cook their own meals, etc. or hire or bring their own butler

Tipping, or the removal of tips, is one of my biggest complaints. It galls me to see people lined up having their tips removed, claiming their service was not up to par. Just cheap in my book.

I, too, think the gratuities should be included in the price.

Just my two-cents.

Shirley

I have no issue with paying my $11.50 per day and will also tip more in cash as needed but what I don't understand is why is this a separate charge.

Why not just add $11.50 per day to the price of a cruise? Is there some accounting loophole created by making it a separate item or some other advantage?

Because the tips are optional. Whether you wish to pay is your choice.

Here we go again...:D

It is an accounting issue that effects the companies profits to include them.

I am sure there are accounting reasons but a tipped employee knows that their tips can be removed for sub-par service and this keeps them on their toes. They also know that great service can earn them more money. If tips were mandatory, service people would not feel the need to go above and beyond. They would become indifferent. Why bother with great service if you are getting paid the same, no matter what kind of service you give, right? Carnival top brass knows this, as do all service people - in any industry that bases income from tips. (I work in a restaraunt, I am well aware of how to generate better tips, as are Carnival employees!) for the record, I would never consider removing tips and do side tip everyone, it's in my blood :)

Because that 11.50 would need to increase about 35% to get that same 11.50 into the crew's hands.

It is less expensive for pax with the system in place. It can only surprise a customer once and truthfully it shouldn't ever surprise anyone once in this day and age.

Various reasons.

One being is that if that $11.50 pp pd was put into the cruise fare, it's now taxable. In other words, the guest would have to pay tax on it, and the Corporation would have to report it as revenue and pay tax on that also.

Various reasons.

One being is that if that $11.50 pp pd was put into the cruise fare, it's now taxable. In other words, the guest would have to pay tax on it, and the Corporation would have to report it as revenue and pay tax on that also.

Of all the different posts on this subject, this one makes the most sense to me.

Archived