Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Update from Giglio News via The Parbuckling Project.

They proceed unabated, 24 hours on 24, 7 days out of 7, the work for the removal of the wreck site in Concordia Giglio Island. After having already secured the wreck in early November, the workers of the Consortium Italian-American Titan / Micoperi are now working in the portion of the sea shore side to complete the restraint of the wreck, to be operational during the reorganization vertical, with the installation of 8 other anchor blocks, in addition to the four already in place on the seabed. Moreover, to facilitate and speed up the movement of vessels operating in the area, the technicians of the consortium have decided to also remove the funnel of the vessel, yet on the hull. All other assets, in the meantime, follow the shared program with the Centre: For the preparation of the false bottom, side sea (offshore) continue drilling to prepare the bases of submarine platforms, and have already been installed more than 200 bags of cement removable on the seabed, in the center of the hull. All work is always launched keeping in mind the priorities of the removal plan, namely, to ensure the safety of workers and to ensure maximum protection of the environment.

lavori_notturni221212.jpg

hmmm to think that when she first tipped onto Giglio, the various official and unofficial pundits all said that she wuld be gone by now.....she'll still be there this time next year, hogging the limelight and causing debate....

Happy Christmas Giglio...and hope that Concordia actually DOES get shifted in the new year somewhen....probably in pieces at the rate things are going...

Oh and happy Christmas and a healthy 2013 to those on here too....especially those who were not on Pacifica last week who seem to think she hit a pile etc...it was a BUOY...a bloody great big buoy....we all waved bye-bye to it as we left Marseille 14 hours later than were were meant to leave the city, it had been wrangled by then and tethered to a tug...

It could have been worse though....we could have ended up like this :

http://www.seanews.com.tr/article/ACCIDENTS/88730/napoleon-bonaparte-ferry-marseilles/

She had her bottom sliced and was in drydock along with the ex P&O Artemis (now Phoenix Reisen's Artania) in Marseille.

CS ... Did you manage to take any photos of the Buoy at all ? it does seem odd that the Media (or maybe not) are painting a different picture of what happened!

Strangely enough I did not....I assumed that since it was a Costa ship the media would be all over us like a rash...afterall, it was the 3rd incident in 12 months, wasn't it?

However, I discovered a couple days later that the media had missed us, or at least the big tabloids had....they were pouncing all over P&O over the "plague ships" - their words, not mine - Oriana and Azura who had large numbers of noro sufferers on board....the same media also missed the rather nasty crack across the entire width aboard Ventura a few weeks ago too from her crossing of the BoB...

So P&O snatched our limelight....but other pax had taken photo's of the buoy and it was mentioned several times via the cabin TV, the large screen in the pool area and on flyers that were posted in the cabins.....and when we were all given the nice OBC too :)

I presume the reason why the local media caught the pier bug was due to the Napoleon Bonaparte a couple weeks prior...she DID ram the quay after high winds caught her, she didn't escape with such light damage as we did though, her hull get severely ripped under the waterline causing her to settle by the stern onto the seabed in port.

But Pacifica tangled with a loose buoy in the turning area just outside the port entrance whilst under pilotage....ships of her size have to go into the port backwards, so a well practiced pirouette is required....usually goes as planned but with the recent weather one of the marker buoys may well have had its anchor chains weakened, they subsequently let go and the buoy was slammed into our side.

Most of the damage was internal...although the external damage was severe...the internal damage and that done to the bow thrusters is what you cannot see in the media shots. Internally she was ripped considerably more than the outside, hence the requirement for drydocking as soon as it becomes viable...probably immediately after the New Year cruise or shortly thereafter.

But as I have said all along, the collision happened around breakfast time, most pax were in their cabins (I was) and no-one knew that anything had happened until we saw and heard remonstrating on the quayside in French and Italian...very vocal, very animated.

We could have set sail by around 2am but due to RINA wishing to inspect the ship first, we had to wait for them to fly in from Genova, they arrived at quayside at around 7am and we were given the green light to sail to Barcelona at just before 10am. We should have been in Barcelona 2 hours by the time we left Marseille.

I honestly cannot praise the crew enough, they were completely on the ball the entire time, they kept everyone updated hourly as to progress...

Those pax who were due to disembark in Barcelona and who needed to go urgently due to work etc were given the option to be bussed from Marseille at 4am to Barcelona free of charge and with a gesture of goodwill financially for the inconvenience, they sent 3 full coach loads from Marseille to Barcelona airport.

We totally lost the timings at each port, we were compensated when in truth there was no real need to do so...it was the weather that caused the problem and that could not have been prevented.

We still reaced all 5 ports, we still had two formal nights (albeit on consecutive nights), they laid on free transport where required, gave us all excellent OBC....they could not have taken care of things better really.

I watched the next cruise via the webcams and they had perfect weather, reached all ports on time and had none of the problems that we had.

They might even have had time to put up the Christmas decorations too....it was meant to happen on my cruise but the crew just did not have the time to do it thanks to that damned buoy.

CS ... Did you manage to take any photos of the Buoy at all ? it does seem odd that the Media (or maybe not) are painting a different picture of what happened!

In their rush to report news there are many times the media does not fact check the news they are reporting. I went to a maritime report and did see a bouy as the reported object. Also reported was the fact that the weather was the major factor in the accident. Costa itself has downplayed the accident and only released a limited amount of information. I could not even find mention of it on their website in press releases.

This would not be a story the media would jump on. It received what I would call limited press simply because there was not major damage and more importantly, there were no deaths.

CS, before you jump on my "major damage" words... Every report, even Costa, has stated that. The damage was above the waterline, there were no injuries, and at no time was the ship in danger of sinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would like to take a minute to sincerely wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Christmas/Boxing Day, Happy Holiday as well as a very Happy New Year.

May you all have fair winds, calm seas, and blue skies for any upcoming cruises.

CS, before you jump on my "major damage" words... Every report, even Costa, has stated that. The damage was above the waterline, there were no injuries, and at no time was the ship in danger of sinking.

It may not be under the waterline and thankfully there were no injuries...however, the damage is going to cost 2-3 cruises either next month or in February due to internal damage done to several crew areas and the bow thrusters.

So although no revenue areas were damaged, there is substantial damage to the ship. Suffice it to say that had revenue generating areas such as pax cabins, public rooms etc been affected, then the media would most certainly have jumped all over it.

But as I said, they were busy attacking P&O over their "plague ships" returning to Southampton with severe noro illness aboard.

When the huge cruise ferry Napoleon Bonaparte ripped her stern out in Marseille a couple weeks ago due to severe weather, it was only lightly covered in the media...again due to damage primarily affecting the crew areas and car deck and that again, thankfully, there were no injuries to pax or crew.

It may not be under the waterline and thankfully there were no injuries...however, the damage is going to cost 2-3 cruises either next month or in February due to internal damage done to several crew areas and the bow thrusters.

So although no revenue areas were damaged, there is substantial damage to the ship. Suffice it to say that had revenue generating areas such as pax cabins, public rooms etc been affected, then the media would most certainly have jumped all over it.

But as I said, they were busy attacking P&O over their "plague ships" returning to Southampton with severe noro illness aboard.

When the huge cruise ferry Napoleon Bonaparte ripped her stern out in Marseille a couple weeks ago due to severe weather, it was only lightly covered in the media...again due to damage primarily affecting the crew areas and car deck and that again, thankfully, there were no injuries to pax or crew.

CS, the media jumps all over serious (or potentially serious) illness, death, wars, $ex scandals. For the damage Pacifica received, there was as much reporting as needed.

For much of the interior crew area damaged, work can be done with the ship at sea. Any damage to the thrusters may require some down time but as Costa hasn't released any word on that or changes to itineraries, it may not have been as serious as thought. Only time will tell.

I hate to come off as rude but I don't know any other way to say what I'm about to say. You seem almost disappointed that hordes of reporters weren't swarming around the ship. Your anger at the stories of noro and lack of story on Pacificia shows that. It's a story for your family and friends at this point. There is/was no 15 minutes of fame to be gained here.

That aside, Costa and the entire cruise industry are probably relieved the stories have been glanced over. They had a tough enough year and with the work on Concordia continuing, more stories will be in the future.

Meeting with citizens of Giglio.

Costa Concordia was held this afternoon the periodic meeting with the citizens of the island of Giglio, to communicate and share the progress of the work of removing the wreck of the ship. The meeting aims to ensure timely and transparent to the community gigliese. During today's meeting, led by the President of the Observatory, Maria Sargentini, participants were updated on the various activities being carried out on the future phases design and the timing for the removal of the wreck, already presented and shared by the representatives of the Consortium Titan-Micoperi with all members of the Observatory. E 'was confirmed that an operation of this size and technical-engineering is unreliable to determine a exact date for completion of the works and that it is reasonable to assume that there may be discontinuations due to adverse sea conditions or other unforeseen situations. Currently a schedule updated on the basis of the progress and the project involves the removal of the wreck by the end of summer 2013 ( straightening, accidents and weather permitting, could be the first days of June ed ) The Centre has asked to be provided specific documentation of the assessments that have led to the revised time schedule by the beginning of January 2013. Commitment asked Costa is to further focus on preventive measures and emergency plans especially for environmental issues, to be prepared in good time to ensure their effectiveness and the immediate availability of appropriate, under emergency conditions. During The meeting was however confirmed and reiterated the commitment of the Consortium, shared with Costa Cruises and the Observatory, to assess any useful solution for groped to anticipate further completion of the work, trusting even in favorable weather, keeping and in any case the work safety and environmental protection. Works are progressing relentlessly There are currently about 400 workers, technicians and divers working in the yard day and night, 7 days out of 7, with about 20 vessels in Support.

Should be interesting to watch them remove the remaining part of the ship's funnel.

Such a funnel must be complex set of individual funnels, air vents, exhausts etc etc inside the visible yellow "shell", it might well take some time by itself. It'll be interesting to watch.

Here is a funnel photo from the days when Costa C was built in 2005

fp50808.jpg

Or look at these to see how much the funnel is indeed in the way:

woman-funnel_2110445i.jpg

pgallery

The webcam we use to check on Concordia has been given an award status.

EarthCam.com receive from the largest database of American webcam in the world, the news that our panoramic webcam, taking over the area in front of the harbor of Isola del Giglio as far back as 2005, today's scenario work of removing the Costa Concordia, was chosen by a panel of VIP and manufacturers, as one of the world's most Webcam 25 for 2012, only Italy, even being entered in the list of top ten for the month of August. This annual ranking, now in its 14th edition, includes the webcam most unique and interesting in the world. Selected from thousands of candidates, our webcam was judged by the quality, uniqueness of content and, in general, the technical characteristics of the technology used. Following the official announcement in English: "EarthCam is pleased to announce That your webcam has been chosen by our panel of VIP judges and producers as one of EarthCam's 25 Most Interesting Webcams for 2012. This 14th annual list includes the most unique and compelling webcams in the world. Selected from Thousands of nominees, winners were judged on quality of image, uniqueness of content and overall technical achievements in webcam technology. "

AwardRound4.png

I can't see why it will be a complicated job to remove the funnel. Obviously there would be a need to check for explosive gas, but if it was safe it should not take long to cut it out.

David.

With respect, spoken like a true armchair Boiler Maker.......Please consider the angle of the ship, would you just sent a couple of guys in with torches and say Have at it boys? Circumstances are far different than when the ship is upright, There will be insulation, cladding, paint removal so you can burn, where / how do you stand, the rigging of the funnel, electrical wires to cut/disconnect plus many other safety considerations. I can assure it would not be a fun job. Been there, done it. Regards, Ian

Now I have no idea why they would spend the money or the time to replace it....it just doesn't make sense!:confused:

The only thing I can think of is they mean to just place it onboard the vessel not reinstall it. Which maybe cheaper then cutting it apart and trucking and ferrying it off the island!

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

. I can assure it would not be a fun job. Been there, done it. Regards, Ian

So have I. Compared with the complexity of the main operation and considering the equipment and expertise on site, this should be a relatively simple job. Most of the work on the ship is being done "on angle"

David.

Happy New Year to all! I returned from a very nice cruise on the Eurodam last Saturday (with the flu...) and I wanted to report on the safety drills aboard. This was a Carrib cruise on HAL, which I have not been on in a while as our last 2 cruises have been in the Med on Celebrity. We had the usual muster drill prior to sailing with the only difference from my years past with HAL was you did not have to take your lifejackets. The interesting thing to me that I have not experienced in the past was at first port the crew had a full blown lifeboat drill. Every lifeboat (at least on our starboard side) was dropped in the water, fired up and manuvered according to instructions provided by an officer in a smaller, speedboat style watercraft. All types of lifeboats were deployed including the raft type boats. It was quite an interesting sight and somewhat comforting to see the staff put through such a lengthy drill. I have always been impressed with HAL's safety steps (Celebrity takes you into a large room and show a film) but I was very pleased to see them take this additional step. Perhaps it is done industry wide - just the first time I have seen such a display.

Happy New Year to all! I returned from a very nice cruise on the Eurodam last Saturday (with the flu...) and I wanted to report on the safety drills aboard. This was a Carrib cruise on HAL, which I have not been on in a while as our last 2 cruises have been in the Med on Celebrity. We had the usual muster drill prior to sailing with the only difference from my years past with HAL was you did not have to take your lifejackets. The interesting thing to me that I have not experienced in the past was at first port the crew had a full blown lifeboat drill. Every lifeboat (at least on our starboard side) was dropped in the water, fired up and manuvered according to instructions provided by an officer in a smaller, speedboat style watercraft. All types of lifeboats were deployed including the raft type boats. It was quite an interesting sight and somewhat comforting to see the staff put through such a lengthy drill. I have always been impressed with HAL's safety steps (Celebrity takes you into a large room and show a film) but I was very pleased to see them take this additional step. Perhaps it is done industry wide - just the first time I have seen such a display.

Maybe the cruise industry could use a full blown safety drill with full boat launchings in every "tender port". It would give everyone a real time experience with the real thing........ :D

Just kidding.......... kind of....;)

Actually, I'm really impressed with your report and delighted you took the time to let us know.

John

It was pretty cool to see that big round life raft inflate out of the relatively small locker type box it was housed in. They pulled the box out from the ships side, inflated it and the ropes attached to the box swung it back against the side of the ship and the raft was then lowered into the water. I wonder how long it took to deflate the raft and secure it back into the box.

It was pretty cool to see that big round life raft inflate out of the relatively small locker type box it was housed in. They pulled the box out from the ships side, inflated it and the ropes attached to the box swung it back against the side of the ship and the raft was then lowered into the water. I wonder how long it took to deflate the raft and secure it back into the box.

The rafts they use for drills are not fully sealed in the plastic barrels, they are designed to be opened, inflated and closed repeatedly for drills.

The rafts in place for emegencies are fully sealed by the manufacturer and are intended for 1 use. The manufucturers seal them and peroidic mantainace and inspections are done by the manufuacturers at their plants.

AKK