Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Flame me if you like, but I don't believe the captain was as cowardly as everyone makes him out to be.

Without the radio transmission from the Coast Guard ordering him back on board many I think would have been praising the captain. Instead one piece of damning evidence from the very beginning before any other facts were known has nailed him prematurely in MHI.

Accepted the captain has final responsibility but there is far more to this and the programme the other night asked more questions than gave answers.

tonka ....

Now new questions/concerns....

1. No vessel is reqiured to have large scale charts of any coast line or harbors, etc, unless they are likely to be going close inshore.

concordia according to the narration of the programme did not need large charts to be carried for giglio because it was not an itinery stop.

if you dont have the right charts you don't go close in shore with a massive vessel. Since the concordia had done this fly by before, the charts, whether paper or electronic, they should have been aboard.

why did the concordia not have these large scale charts, since the (and correct me if i am wrong) vessel had already done island fly bys before the sinking?

If the vessel knew the fly byes were possible they dam well should have had the proper charts.

2. What was the master doing those minutes before he saw the rock????

Entertaining his guests?

the narration says that the guests on the bridge were standing in complete silence and pinpoints where they were standing, this was confirmed by the hotel manager who was there and who thinking back to last year was maybe the one who asked about going by giglio! It would be interesting to hear schettino`s answer to the comment "go by bloody giglio" strange thing is on the other programme which shows some of the salvage, the hotel director is shown as the purser!!

ok if they were slience fine, but i dont beleive it for a secound, at least not until the emerency started when the rock was seen. What about before that?.......complete silence.........no way people will naturally talk and ask questions.

3. Why did the duty officers not see the rock and why didnt they see it on the radar??? What was the look out doing? The radar onboard that ship were said of the art, like the ones on star trek!!

again the narration says that due to the small amount by which le scole reef protrudes from the sea that the likelyhood is that radar would not see it.

the lookout was steering the ship! Which begs the question as to why there was only one!

again the narration is wrong .those radars would have picked up the rock , no problem. Of course its possible the officers did not have the radar settings correct for scale and cluther.

4. As i asked before, why wasnt the captioan and duty officer watching the rudder angle indicator??? If they were it is possible they could have corrected the rudder and maybe even avoided hitting the rock.

from the programme i can only guess that they were watching it or schettino would not have corrected the helmsman when he said 340, he was corrected to 350 by schettino.

thats a long time 13 secounds and be watching the rudder indicater and not yelling like a banishe! To get the rudder over.

5. Why was the captian still at such a high speed??? It was like driving a 18 wheeler down a curving country road at 75!

only he will know that i think.

as i have been saying from the start and as cs points out, the captain has the final responsiblity, but many other people, including the bridge watch and some of the office staffs of costa and carnival have a peice of this pie!

akk

Tonka ....

We all have to keep in mind, except for the actual tape times etc........the Narration is a media report, which as we have all learned over the last year is often wrong or opinion only.

As you pointed out Sid, even the 2 reports/documentaries here differ on some of thier alleged facts.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Gee................if this is correct.(no disrepect entended CS)......heres alot of our answers.......

Concordia was not 100% functional, there was a repair crew that were to board her in Savona on January 14 and remain with her for 7-10 days to repair the depth sounder, radar and autopilot...items that had either failed completely or had suffered intermittant failures in the days and weeks leading up to what happened. Added to this Concordia was experiencing higher than average power outtages...this was confirmed to me by many of those aboard her the fateful night and who had been aboard her in the 10 days prior.

I cannot speak for other countries, but in the states the USCG would not have permitted the vessel to sail with this amount of bridge gear off line.

This also may answer why the rock was not seen by radar.

AKK

As you pointed out Sid, even the 2 reports/documentaries here differ on some of thier alleged facts"

Tonka ... cannot disagree with what you say there, but the Hotel Director assuming that Nat Geo got it right was also the one who was rescued by Helicopter with a Broken Leg.

I recall an earlier programme on concordia also saying that the Radar would not be able to pick up the rock due to it being so close and the size of the ship! maybe Nat Geo were just putting out the same thing or they may well be right.

Until and Unless at some point in proceedings it comes out that there was faulty equipment it may be the reason why Costa washed their hands of the incident in order to throw a smoke screen over it, they would have clearly known from reports that there was faulty equipment onboard.

ok if they were slience fine, but i dont beleive it for a secound, at least not until the emerency started when the rock was seen. What about before that?.......complete silence.........no way people will naturally talk and ask questions

That info was given by the Hotel Director himself on camera.

The trouble is with these programmes is that they do not play all of the ships Data recorder, though i can only guess that is due to time.

I recall an earlier programme on concordia also saying that the Radar would not be able to pick up the rock due to it being so close and the size of the ship! maybe Nat Geo were just putting out the same thing or they may well be right.

Hi Sid,

There is really no a debate on the Radar, assumming the radar was working correctly. They are wrong.

The rock should easily been picked up by the radar a few miles away and the fact the the radar antannia (spl??) was higher on the tall Concordia would also have made the rock easier to pick up.

If the radar units I had 25 years ago could have picked up the rock, the ones today sure should have. As I pointed out before we could get a small channel bouy 5 miles out.

AKK

CS, uummm, DUH, did you read the link we were discussing?

"Carnival denies it has any duty to protect passengers from damages while they are on board. We will ask the court to interview all safety and training personnel, and everyone who was in charge of emergency equipment and evacuation," said attorney John Arthur Eaves Jr. "We will also ask for testimony from everyone responsible for what happened at Giglio, and who allowed the captain to deviate from his route".

However, court documents filed by Carnival state: "passengers' negligent or careless behavior were among the causes, if not the only cause, of the alleged injuries and damages."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/01/12/Carnival-blames-passengers-for-damages/UPI-10121358035775/#ixzz2I3mF2YJd

SOLAS aside, Carnival is saying that it was the passengers fault for their injuries. Did the passengers force the Captain to go off course, to hit a rock, to delay calling for Muster, and put them in the position of having to save themselves. No, they responded to the position the Captain put them in.

Carnival Corp, which includes Costa and all the other lines that sail under them, has an obligation to keep them safe. SOLAS sets the standard and those employed by Carnival are expected to follow and carry out those standards. The Captain did not follow the rules set forth, leaving the passengers open to the injuries they received trying to save themselves.

Flame me if you like, but I don't believe the captain was as cowardly as everyone makes him out to be.

Without the radio transmission from the Coast Guard ordering him back on board many I think would have been praising the captain. Instead one piece of damning evidence from the very beginning before any other facts were known has nailed him prematurely in MHI.

Accepted the captain has final responsibility but there is far more to this and the programme the other night asked more questions than gave answers.

Francesco Schettino was scared...and to my knowledge, being scared is a normal human response to a dangerous situation...and certainly not a hanging offence (yet).

There is absolutely no doubt that "people" on the bridge made grave errors, these errors were exacerbated by equipment problems on board Concordia that were known about and which were due for repair as of the 14th (the day after the incident).

Personally I feel the reasons why so many have gone for Francesco Schettino is that he had a bloody big target painted on his back...NOT due to him being the Captain and the buck stops with him as such but simply to divert attention away from the wider implications...such as crew training, suitability of the ship, equipment on the ship, language issues on the bridge and the fact that he was unable to control that most primitive and natural of the human senses, that of absolute fear.

Targetted for execution in January, sacked in July...it will irk people no end but with what is coming out of the black box and the known (but carefully airbrushed faults with the ship) it is looking alot like Francesco Shettino was used to divert attention and thus he could well have grounds for wrongful dismissal.

If that ship ever makes it off the island, she too will no doubt throw up some interesting snippets too.

Gee................if this is correct.(no disrepect entended CS)......heres alot of our answers.......

Concordia was not 100% functional' date=' there was a repair crew that were to board her in Savona on January 14 and remain with her for 7-10 days to repair the depth sounder, radar and autopilot...items that had either failed completely or had suffered intermittant failures in the days and weeks leading up to what happened. Added to this Concordia was experiencing higher than average power outtages...this was confirmed to me by many of those aboard her the fateful night and who had been aboard her in the 10 days prior.[/color']

I cannot speak for other countries, but in the states the USCG would not have permitted the vessel to sail with this amount of bridge gear off line.

This also may answer why the rock was not seen by radar.

AKK

And as I wondered several pages ago, will we see port authorities dragged into this too...

Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Civitavecchia...they all have the power to impound a ship if the minimum equipment list is not complete...but they did not...

Is it possible that they had been given assurances that the ship would be repaired on the 14th, so allowed her to sail?

Is it possible that they were placed under pressure from Carnival Corp....afterall, the buck stops with Carnival...none of the Carnival group companies make big decisions like pulling a ship out of service for repairs, THAT is Miami's decision to make...

It is also well known in industry circles that Carnival Corp do the bare minimum required to pass SOLAS and their companies have no say in it whatsoever since it is the corporation that orders the ships and pays for the ships, not the individual companies.

Ever get the feeling that the corporation needed a moving target to deflect all this away from their front door step?

Ever get the feeling that maybe a few palms have been greased...a ship not really fit to sail is allowed to do so on a promise that it will be fixed?

You see this is not the first time that it has happened...back in 2008 I was notified of serious problems with VoD's Discovery when she was sailing from the UK...so I called a contact in the UKMCA and so started a 7 month cat and mouse chase around the Baltic, Scandinavia, Northern Europe and Mediterranean...I also had a cruise journalist get involved and she interviewed the then MD who stated WEEKLY that the ship would be fixed "next week" and that ship was inspected in EVERY port, found to be faulty in EVERY port and the authorities promised that she will be "fixed next week" and the next week would come and still no repairs. She did get sorted eventually but only after countless inspections, countless promises, visits by the company insurer and flag representatives and finally the threat by her captain to hand her over in Gibraltar to the British authorities is she was not fixed.....low and behold, she was fixed and the MD lost his job.

The more that comes out of the Concordia investigation, the more history seems to be repeating itself...but on a larger scale.

If, as is being claimed here, the ship's radar had problems and was due to be fixed, then why did the Captain make the decision to go off the charted course. It's not like he didn't know what problems the ship had.

How difficult would it have been to say no. The Captain has the final say. When the ship is on the water, he has the responsility to keep not only the ship but his passengers and crew safe.

Does anyone one have the exact Italian recording of Schettino when he spoke of saluting Giglio before leaving Civitavecchia?

According to reports I've read his exact words in his Neapolitan dialact at 6:27pm, just as Concordia was departing Civitavechhia were:

"Amm'a fa' l'inchino al Giglio," ("Let's go to salute the Island of Giglio")"

This, to me, does NOT translate into let's salute "BLOODY" Giglio or let's do this "BLOODY" sail-by.

Schettino was also recorded on tape saying:

"Maro' ch'aggio cumbinato,"("Madonna, what have I done"), again in Neapolitan — at 9.45 p.m., just after the collision.

A series of frantic calls then followed. At 9:51 p.m., Capt. Schettino called Giuseppe Pillon, the officer in command of the ship's engine room, asking: "So are we really going down?"

Three minutes later, at 9:54 p.m., he ordered an officer not to tell passengers what really happened. "Say that there has been a blackout," he was recorded saying.

At 9:56 p.m., Capt. Schettino called Costa Crociere's fleet crisis coordinator, Roberto Ferrarini.

"Roberto, I f—– up!," he said.

At 10:30 p.m. officers on the bridge asked him in panic: "Captain, shall we give the general emergency signal? Shall we order to abandon ship?"

"Let's wait…" Schettino is heard saying.

At 10:32 p.m. Schettino phoned the Italian Coast Guard in Livorno. "Basically we are taking on water, but the sea is calm, God save us," Schettino said.

At 10:51 p.m., with chaos reigning the ship ("those on the bridge did not recall the emergency codes," reads the report) Captain Schettino finally said: "Come on, let's give the order to abandon ship, come on, that's enough!"

At 11:08 p.m., as a confused evacuation got under way, the Captain called his wife Fabiola.

"Fabi', my career as a captain is over. We hit a reef, the ship is listing but I performed a great maneuver… everything is under control," he is heard saying. He then reassured her in Neapolitan dialect: "Fabi', nun te preoccupa'… togliamo questo navigare da mezzo e ci mettim a fa' nat lavoro…," which roughly translates: "Don't worry, let's forget all this sailing and we can start another job."

Accidents can and do happen. It's not so much that Schettino "f...ed up" -- it's his actions immediately following the mishap that most people have a HUGE problem with.

There have been NO reports of Schettino helping just ONE passenger on that ship before he bailed for dry land.

What an insult to his crew -- especially British dancer Rose Metcalf who was one of the last to get off the ship after helping countless passengers, putting them ahead of her as everyone scrambled to get off. And the Hungarian musician who paid with his life in order to save others. Not to mention the other crew members and passengers who met their untimely deaths.

There have been many accounts of bravery and stories of passengers and crew members with boundless courage. Not a single one of them involves Schettino. The moment this personification-of-spinelessness fell into a lifeboat and refused to get back, watching his ship sink while safe on dry land, was the moment Schettino became the BLOODIEST WIMP of a captain the world has ever known!

Does anyone one have the exact Italian recording of Schettino when he spoke of saluting Giglio before leaving Civitavecchia?

According to reports I've read his exact words in his Neapolitan dialact at 6:27pm, just as Concordia was departing Civitavechhia were:

"Amm'a fa' l'inchino al Giglio," ("Let's go to salute the Island of Giglio")"

This, to me, does NOT translate into let's salute "BLOODY" Giglio or let's do this "BLOODY" sail-by.

Schettino was also recorded on tape saying:

"Maro' ch'aggio cumbinato,"("Madonna, what have I done"), again in Neapolitan — at 9.45 p.m., just after the collision.

A series of frantic calls then followed. At 9:51 p.m., Capt. Schettino called Giuseppe Pillon, the officer in command of the ship's engine room, asking: "So are we really going down?"

Three minutes later, at 9:54 p.m., he ordered an officer not to tell passengers what really happened. "Say that there has been a blackout," he was recorded saying.

At 9:56 p.m., Capt. Schettino called Costa Crociere's fleet crisis coordinator, Roberto Ferrarini.

"Roberto, I f—– up!," he said.

At 10:30 p.m. officers on the bridge asked him in panic: "Captain, shall we give the general emergency signal? Shall we order to abandon ship?"

"Let's wait…" Schettino is heard saying.

At 10:32 p.m. Schettino phoned the Italian Coast Guard in Livorno. "Basically we are taking on water, but the sea is calm, God save us," Schettino said.

At 10:51 p.m., with chaos reigning the ship ("those on the bridge did not recall the emergency codes," reads the report) Captain Schettino finally said: "Come on, let's give the order to abandon ship, come on, that's enough!"

At 11:08 p.m., as a confused evacuation got under way, the Captain called his wife Fabiola.

"Fabi', my career as a captain is over. We hit a reef, the ship is listing but I performed a great maneuver… everything is under control," he is heard saying. He then reassured her in Neapolitan dialect: "Fabi', nun te preoccupa'… togliamo questo navigare da mezzo e ci mettim a fa' nat lavoro…," which roughly translates: "Don't worry, let's forget all this sailing and we can start another job."

Accidents can and do happen. It's not so much that Schettino "f...ed up" -- it's his actions immediately following the mishap that most people have a HUGE problem with.

There have been NO reports of Schettino helping just ONE passenger on that ship before he bailed for dry land.

What an insult to his crew -- especially British dancer Rose Metcalf who was one of the last to get off the ship after helping countless passengers, putting them ahead of her as everyone scrambled to get off. And the Hungarian musician who paid with his life in order to save others. Not to mention the other crew members and passengers who met their untimely deaths.

There have been many accounts of bravery and stories of passengers and crew members with boundless courage. Not a single one of them involves Schettino. The moment this personification-of-spinelessness fell into a lifeboat and refused to get back, watching his ship sink while safe on dry land, was the moment Schettino became the BLOODIEST WIMP of a captain the world has ever known!

Thank you -Cruiserfanfromct. This is an ongoing investigation and documentaries will not offer any narration that may cause legal woes to them. The actual transcripts are the place to find the information on what was said that night.

I also think that the fly by for Giglio the evening of the island's festival back in August was the only close sailing that was ever actually sanctioned by Costa and proper port support was in place for the event. All other fly bys IMO were the whimsy of the captains of the various ships that engaged in these dangerous maneuvers.

If, as is being claimed here, the ship's radar had problems and was due to be fixed, then why did the Captain make the decision to go off the charted course. It's not like he didn't know what problems the ship had.

How difficult would it have been to say no. The Captain has the final say. When the ship is on the water, he has the responsility to keep not only the ship but his passengers and crew safe.

The minimum equipment list failings are well known and documented....so lets look at it this way....

As Tonka correctly points out, the ship theoretically should never have sailed...Civitavecchia, Barcelona, Marseille and Savona all could/should have pulled permission to sail...they did not...why?

Carnival Corp may well have placed undue pressure on the port authorities and Francesco Schettino....realease the ship, its being repaired on the 14th....you will do as requested and take the ship past Giglio on the 13th..

The corporation is a very big animal, you do not say "no"...probably never know if money changed hands with the port authorities that allowed the ship to sail on a promise of repairs...just as we probably never know who Francesco Schettino was talking to on the phone prior to the accident..."bloody Giglio" sounds more like frustration from a phone call pressurising him to go despite the problems with the ship...most of us have been there....having to do something that we really do not want to do and feeling pressured, obliged to do so regardless of our own thoughts and feelings..

All the cruise lines/corporations have alot to lose over this accident....Concordia was on a very high revenue itinerary and Carnival were not about to pull a ship off that high revenue itinerary for a week or two in order to fix faults...especially the cruises prior to the accident since it was the highest revenue weeks, that being Christmas and New Year.

Carnival Corp knew full well the ship was not functioning properly and no amount of arguing against taking her out from Costa or her crew was ever going to make any difference.

No pun intended but its well known in industry circles that Carnival and the other lines/corporations sail close to the wind and using just the bare minimum SOLAS that they can get away with.

Since I know port authorities will allow a damaged ship to sail on the promise of repairs later (Discovery), I see no reason why Concordia wasn't allowed to sail on the same repair promises...I would hope that no palms were greased but you cannot rule it out and that truth will never be known.

Corportations have a huge amount of power over authorities and their employees..."you will go to Giglio if you want to keep your job"..."you will allow our ship to sail if you want to see any of our Corporations ships in your port in future"....

Not a pretty picture but nonetheless a common one.

CS, uummm, DUH, did you read the link we were discussing?

"Carnival denies it has any duty to protect passengers from damages while they are on board. We will ask the court to interview all safety and training personnel, and everyone who was in charge of emergency equipment and evacuation," said attorney John Arthur Eaves Jr. "We will also ask for testimony from everyone responsible for what happened at Giglio, and who allowed the captain to deviate from his route".

However, court documents filed by Carnival state: "passengers' negligent or careless behavior were among the causes, if not the only cause, of the alleged injuries and damages."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/01/12/Carnival-blames-passengers-for-damages/UPI-10121358035775/#ixzz2I3mF2YJd

SOLAS aside, Carnival is saying that it was the passengers fault for their injuries. Did the passengers force the Captain to go off course, to hit a rock, to delay calling for Muster, and put them in the position of having to save themselves. No, they responded to the position the Captain put them in.

Carnival Corp, which includes Costa and all the other lines that sail under them, has an obligation to keep them safe. SOLAS sets the standard and those employed by Carnival are expected to follow and carry out those standards. The Captain did not follow the rules set forth, leaving the passengers open to the injuries they received trying to save themselves.

Nowt more than typical corporation pass the buck...perfectly common practice when authorities or lawyers get too close "we know nuthin, we see nuthin, we do nuthin...it was THEIR fault"...heck you can almost hear the backsides squeak as they walk down the hallway ;)

All the corporations do it...."have fun on your cruise, do the regulated things that are forced upon you by law...and oh btw...if anything untoward does happen, don't come crying to us cos we don't care...just pass your money to us and we will laugh our way to the bank"

......Corportations have a huge amount of power over authorities and their employees..."you will go to Giglio if you want to keep your job"....

Oh for bloody crying out loud -- are you bloody serious? I can't think of one bloody reason Costa would have ordered Schettino to pick up some souvenir rocks off of Giglio.

The sail-by was not published in the daily Costa Newsletter, never announced by Costa nor the captain. It was a bloody cold and dark winter night on a bloody scantly inhabited and bloody insignificant island. I could see if Micky Arison's Miami Heat were tourists on bloody Giglio that night why Costa / Carnival would bloody ORDER Schettino to blow Giglio off the bloody Tuscan Coast. :eek:

Just for clairty and for the doubters the transcript on the Nat geo programme with regard to "bloody Giglio" is taken from the ships voice Data recorder or Black box and the wording on my post is copied directly from the programme, if there is any other type of recorder that people claim information is taken from then i would love to hear about it!

Welcome back CT.

If you want to see a true hero in command, watch Katie.

Four years ago today Captain Sullenberger landed a plane full of people on the Hudson River in NYC. He knew how to take control in a disaster and do what had to be done.

Thanks SB. I'll watch Katie.

Yes, Captain Sully did what he was supposed to do, when he was supposed to do it and the way he was supposed to do it. When the unforeseeable (beyond his control) did happen, he was ready to react appropriately. Although many of us think of him as a hero, in his humble mind he thinks he was just doing his job.

While there are plenty of theories as to why Schettino veered off course, had he been another Captain Sully, or great captains of other Costa ships and other cruise liners, it is doubtful the collision would have happened in the first place. Schettino has been quoted as saying the rocks didn't show up on his navigational charts. That's an excellent excuse only if he had a damn good reason for going dangerously off course in the first place. We still don't know the reason but suffice it to say that it was not a bloody good one!

Just for clairty and for the doubters the transcript on the Nat geo programme with regard to "bloody Giglio" is taken from the ships voice Data recorder or Black box and the wording on my post is copied directly from the programme, if there is any other type of recorder that people claim information is taken from then i would love to hear about it!

I'm sure that you heard the programme correctly Sid but it might not be until the official transcripts are released in their entirety and in its original language that we'll get the correct information.

Sidari, you did a great job of stating what the NatGeo program had. I watched the show so I know you have what they said.

Now look at where your info stops, 9:49, for a time reference.

Look at where CT picks up to fill in, 9:45.

Yours picks up again at 10:44 with the ship having come to rest at Giglio.

CT's continues until 11:08.

Putting it all together it does follow the chain of events.

What CT has provided is from earlier reports that were released and talked about on one of the threads here, maybe a now closed one.

Italian news media reporting the last two bodies of the Concordia disaster may have been found.

http://news.discovery.com/human/two-missing-bodies-likely-found-on-costa-concordia-130115.htm

It's been my understanding since the last three bodies were recovered that authorities believe the final 2 are in that same area. I do recall hearing that they are believed to be between the seabed and ship. Is that an absolute truth based on what the robot may have seen or a guess based on hope. I don't know.

I think the writer has taken what the brother of the Indian waiter said Sunday to make a story out of it. The brother seems to believe it's true. I heard his interveiw and that's what he said.

Sidari, you did a great job of stating what the NatGeo program had. I watched the show so I know you have what they said.

Now look at where your info stops, 9:49, for a time reference.

Look at where CT picks up to fill in, 9:45.

Yours picks up again at 10:44 with the ship having come to rest at Giglio.

CT's continues until 11:08.

Putting it all together it does follow the chain of events.

What CT has provided is from earlier reports that were released and talked about on one of the threads here, maybe a now closed one.

Can't a guy have a beer break and a potty break around here......... LOL

Please tell us what the missing minutes ????

(shades of Watergate tapes - history repeats itself)