Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Costa will be jointly blamed for certain parts of what happened along with Captain Schettino, how much blame is put on each remains to be seen until such time that a trial takes place.

Apart from the actual conversation on the phone it would be interesting to know why Schettino felt the need to ring his senior officer?

VP ..you may well be British but i am English and always will be ...... :D

Very true -- we are finally in agreement on something.

My feeling is Costa will be fined big time, and Ferrarini will be the fall guy at Headquarters.

Schettino is in deep and some, not all, of the officers may be also.

Costa's defense will be the company was not aware of the extent of the damages along with Schettino withholding information. Some of the recorded conversations back this up.

Trial should be interesting and will definitely last a very loooooong time!

Regardless of who is found responsible for the Concordia disaster, the insurance companies lawyers are not sitting around twiddling their thumbs. You can bet they are doing everything possible to reduce their losses.

It seems the "deep pocket" seeking lawyers are trying to sway public opinion to help them win their cases.

This is just my opinion but I don't feel if Costa is blamed for alleged failings that it will let the Captain off the hook.

Sue, I would like to know what was said on the other end of that conversation too. Maybe we'll get those answers from the court.

Similar thing happened in Rio at the weekend. Bouncers telling people they cant get out and keep calm.

Costa and Schettino will be passing the blame back and forward. Costa to save money and Schettino to save his skin.

Edited by bigeck

I was with a few Italian families at the weekend and in Tuscany where they come from, Schettino is the man that should be hung. Once the ship leaves port, hes in charge. They have friends on the island and they want justice.

The moment I mentioned the Concordia, the heat in the room increased rapidily.

Just read in a Toronto paper that Capt. Coward, when asked if he will command a ship again replied "Most certainly." That statement was made today, Jan 30/13 as Capt Coward entered a court room in an attempt to reverse his firing.

Well, I guess if they don't take his license, it is possble, but the guy is living in a fog or he has a really large set!

AKK

IMO, the Captain has always had an over inflated ego.

Also in the article was his mention of the reef not being on his charts. As Giglio was not on his scheduled route, he did not have the proper charts on board.

http://www.theprovince.com/travel/Captain+wrecked+cruise+ship+contests+firing+Costa+says+hell/7893028/story.html

In the early days on this board the expectation was that air bags would be used to right the ship. I wonder why they can't be used to give a little and very controllable help when the lift starts.

David.

I was wondering what they are going to use to control the hull as she rights and starts to roll onto the platforms.

I do not know if the air bags are available in size and capacity to handle the hull???

AKK

Tonka ... I think the strand jacks and the way they are wired up will prevent the ship from rolling over and off the undersea platform, coupled with the retaining cables that are currently holding the ship in place.

Tonka ... I think the strand jacks and the way they are wired up will prevent the ship from rolling over and off the undersea platform, coupled with the retaining cables that are currently holding the ship in place.

Hi Sid,

The retianing cables run under the hull, so they won't be able to stop/slow the motion of the hull, but they could stop the hull from going to far and off the platforms.

Your right about the stanrd jacks, if there in the right place they could indeed hold back the hull

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

O Captain! my Captain! never fear, you'll be captain again -- of your own personal inner-tube -- careful not to pinch it or you'll be left between a rock and a hard place. (no pun intended)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57566639/francesco-schettino-costa-concordia-capt-says-hell-certainly-command-a-ship-again-contests-his-firing/

http://www.gazzettadelsud.it/news/english/32620/Concordia-captain-would--gladly--return-to-the-helm.html

CT, in the Gazzett link Schettino says he would "gladly return to the helm." Don't know that any of his passengers would feel glad if he was there.
Wonder how many bookings a cruise with Schettino as captain would get. How many people besides CS would be on that ship and glad to be there? CS, you disappeared -- did you ever find those links? Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Tonka ... At a guess it may be that the cables going under the hull could be tightened as the ship comes upright, the buoyancy inside will likely also be used in some way as well.

I would be suprised if someone like Nat Geo or Discovery are not currently working on a programme on the salvage operation.

Tonka ... At a guess it may be that the cables going under the hull could be tightened as the ship comes upright, the buoyancy inside will likely also be used in some way as well.

I would be suprised if someone like Nat Geo or Discovery are not currently working on a programme on the salvage operation.

I agree they could be tightened, my concern is that the hull (port side)may get moving to fast and slam down on the platforms.

I do hope one of the doc channels does a righting show. I would hate to think all we would have is the cam to watch.

AKK